PDA

View Full Version : Which out of the box closet organizer?

ShanaMama
12-12-2010, 10:28 PM
My closet is in desperate need of organization. It's a small (around 5 ft) reach in closet. I am looking into Home Depot & Lowe's out of the box organization systems.
It's hard to tell what is good without trying it out, so I am really relying on reviews. Does anyone have experience with these? The brands are Rubbermaid, Closetmaid, Martha Stewart Living, & Real Organized.
I'd love any input.

WatchingThemGrow
12-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I got the up-to-8 feet Closetmaid shelftrack systems and just redesigned them to fit in my closets. Ours are tiny, so each box filled two closets. LOVE them 8 years later!

ShanaMama
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I got the up-to-8 feet Closetmaid shelftrack systems and just redesigned them to fit in my closets. Ours are tiny, so each box filled two closets. LOVE them 8 years later!

Really? The reviews on the Closetmaid are pretty poor- people say they aren't well supported and have snapped.
I am currently liking the Martha Stewart collection @ Home Depot, which is ironic because I insisted to DH that I don't want melamine & would only consider wire systems. This one just seems so much simpler yet more classy. I hate that you have to pay more to add basics like more shelves.

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Closet-Storage/Martha-Stewart-Living/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgfZaqudZ4tg/R-202060712/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

ShanaMama
12-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Shameless bump.:BUMP:
I am ready to order the Martha Stewart Easy Track closet set but I was hoping to get some input from y'all. Anyone??

It's this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202060712

WatchingThemGrow
12-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry I forgot to reply earlier. We haven't had anything snap, and the ability to add on to it, adjust it, get more shelves for it 7.5 years later has been a bonus. Actually, I moved our laundry room set (same as this (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xnu/R-100519844/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID)) into our shed and mix and match parts from closets all over the house when we are reorganizing. We're getting ready to do some more soon with all the Imaginext stuff coming into our house. Need to put some of it in the closet when it is not in play...

Surely someone has the Martha Stewart and can give you more info!

JElaineB
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM
We've recently installed the Rubbermaid Configurations (http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/SubCategoryLanding.aspx?SubCatId=ConfigurationsClo setKits&CatName=ClosetShelving) closet system in two closets (one reach in, one walk-in) and we're very happy with it. We have it in titanium (also available in white) and have purchased two 4-8 ft deluxe kits, and a 3-6 ft kit. We plan to get one more regular 4-8 ft kit. We added sliding mesh baskets as well. It got very good reviews from Consumer Reports. It is available from Amazon, but we bought it locally at Menards (home improvement store). I like it because if we change our mind on how we want the closet set up it is very easy to make adjustments at any time.

DebbieJ
12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
We put the Rubbermaid sets from Lowes in three of our closets. We didn't add any extras like baskets or anything. We've had them up for 1.5 years and they work fine for us.

ETA:m It's the same set that JelaineB linked to.

ShanaMama
12-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Ok, now you are all talking me out of the Martha Stewart set! I was hooked on the upgraded look of dark wood, but a few things are swaying me back to the wire. As one of the reviewers pointed out, the wire ones allow air to circulate- which is a major problem with my current completely overstuffed closet (DH & I share a tiny reach in closet).) Also, I like the ongoing customization possibilities. I think the wood one requires each piece to be mounted individually, so although it's 'customizable' you can't really change your mind every few weeks. Finally, the add-ons which I think are super cool are super $$$$ in the Martha Stewart set.

Now I have to decide between the Closetmaid & Rubbermaid.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Closetmaid requires cutting & is a very difficult install. With a contractor husband, I'm the one who bangs in the nails around here :ROTFLMAO:so an easy install is paramount. I am also afraid that the white wire looks cheap. Does it? I like that Rubbermaid comes in Titanium finish. How is Rubbermaid's customer service? I am really leaning towards that one but I've never ordered anything from them directly. I know their products are high quality, so I'm not overly concerned. Sounds like I am sold!
Thanks for all your help & I am still accepting advice & tips of course!

WatchingThemGrow
12-21-2010, 11:25 PM
As for the Closetmaid, the vertical bars are not hard to install. Use a stud finder, drill/screw the vertical bars in the back of the closet. Not hard. Plan out how you want your closet to look - the long dress part, where you want shelves, how low you want some shelves, etc. Now, *I* had to cut some of the pieces, with a skil saw because our closets are 41-48" wide. I think the provided shelves may have 2 long pieces and a bunch of smaller ones. I do not remember it being a big deal. I could do it myself if I had access to decent tools. I understand the "white wire" look you'd rather avoid, but the utility of this system has outweighed the cheap look of it. Again, I don't have any experience with the others, so I can't compare.

JElaineB
12-21-2010, 11:58 PM
The Rubbermaid Configurations system doesn't require any cutting. DH installed it pretty easily, he's handy so it wasn't a big deal for him. I should note the titanuim shelves are more of a dull gray color, I think they are plastic coated wire. The wire on the mesh baskets is all metal. I would recommend checking for it at your local home improvement store to see if they carry this line before ordering from Rubbermaid directly. Amazon also sells it, but I liked that we could see it in person before buying.

ShanaMama
12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Well, I did some more measuring & calculating. I don't know know why I didn't realize this before but if I want 3 sections (long hanging, shelves, double hanging) they are going to be _small_ sections. My closet is 54". I think I need to see the pieces in the store to visualize it properly, but I don't think I am gaining anything by buying Rubbermaid that I still have to cut. The smallest size of theirs is 24". I am going to need 12 & 18" sections. So I am still undecided....
JElaineB thanks for the input on the titanium. That's a good suggestion to see it in person before buying. I just want to be finished with this already! I have wanted a new closet since the day I moved in over 3 years ago....