PDA

View Full Version : Fashionista mamas....where do shop for stylish, quality clothing that's affordable?

jerseygirl07067
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I have been on a long hiatus, and have not shopped for myself in forever. . I am trying to gradually build up my dull wardrobe, but I don't want to buy a ton of ultra trendy stuff that will be dated in 1-2 years, or stuff that won't last. I have a tendency to get sucked into the trendy stuff at Old Navy and Kohls, which doesn't have great longevity. Basically, I want stylish, good quality, without spending a lot.

I do like TJ Maxx, I just have to take the time to sift through and try on. I know Macy's has great sales, and coupons. but it's not as convenient. When I do go I get some great stuff. We have a Kohls, but the quality on some of their stuff is iffy to me.

Where do you shop?

wellyes
12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
For cheap but uber-trendy, nothing beats H&M.

jerseygirl07067
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
How is their quality?

lizzywednesday
12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
How is their quality?

It depends.

I had an H&M velvet blazer that lasted for several years without any obvious signs of wear, but some pieces are definitely "throwaway" things.

I don't shop there anymore (gained too much weight) but if you pick, you can find decent things.

boilermakermom
12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
I love The Gap. The long and lean jeans are the best. (I'm 5'1 and 114 lbs. Not long and lean by any means). I can usually find cute solid color sweaters, shirts, tanks to mix and match.

elektra
12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
It depends.

I had an H&M velvet blazer that lasted for several years without any obvious signs of wear, but some pieces are definitely "throwaway" things.

:yeahthat: right down to the velvet blazer!
I really like H&M for fashionable, affordable stuff. The kids clothes can be great too. And like lizzywednesday said, it's kind of hit or miss with the quality.

I have also been liking Urban Outfitters, as a sort of alternative to more expensive (but better quality) Anthropologie stuff.

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Do you have any nice department stores by you (Bloomies, Saks, NM, Nordstroms, etc.)? You can score some really nice clothes at end of season sales. Bluefly is another good source for nicer clothing at better prices. I think higher end clothing might be more of an investment at first but it lasts forever and makes you look fabulous without a lot of effort.

I like Theory, Vince and Seven jeans for casual wear. Anthropologie also has really cute stuff and good end of season sales.

Honestly, I don't buy much at the mid-range stores like Gap, ON, Banana Republic because I always end up not liking their clothes over time so it ends up being a waste of $. :(

Lands End is a good source for cute outerwear and not pricey. HTH.

jerseygirl07067
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, we have a lot of department stores within 30 minutes. I get so overwhelmed by all of the choices though.....

elektra
12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Do you have any nice department stores by you (Bloomies, Saks, NM, Nordstroms, etc.)? You can score some really nice clothes at end of season sales. Bluefly is another good source for nicer clothing at better prices. I think higher end clothing might be more of an investment at first but it lasts forever and makes you look fabulous without a lot of effort.

I like Theory, Vince and Seven jeans for casual wear. Anthropologie also has really cute stuff and good end of season sales.

Honestly, I don't buy much at the mid-range stores like Gap, ON, Banana Republic because I always end up not liking their clothes over time so it ends up being a waste of $. :(

These are good ideas too. And I honestly have less reservations about spending more money on certain items such as pants or outerwear. I have a Marc Jacobs coat I got at a Barney's basement sale that I still wear and is several years old. And pants can last a long time too. My last three pairs of pants, including jeans, were expensive and purchased at Nordstrom- NOT on sale but worth it IMO. But trendy blouses? That's when I love H&M and Urban Outfitters.

lcarlson90
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I think Ann Taylor loft has really cute stuff and it's not too trendy.

lizzywednesday
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes, we have a lot of department stores within 30 minutes. I get so overwhelmed by all of the choices though.....

I get overwhelmed by Rte 4, myself, if I am placing your ZIP code correctly...

DrSally
12-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I like ON and H&M for trendier tops. I've been getting my higher quality stuff, lately, at Nordstrom Rack. It's like TJMax, lots of sifting/trying on, but worth it. I got another pair of JAG jeans for $18 today. So much better than ON or Kohls for jeans. I think Kohl's is OK, but you really have to pick and choose. I like them for petite pants and some trendier shirts, but you have to watch out for the quality factor on their sweaters (A lot of acrylic). Otherwise, I shop a lot at Marshalls/TJMax, which is also pick and choose. I've gotten great pants/cashmere sweaters, coats, etc. for very low prices. Shoes, I've been getting online lately--esp. DSW with coupons.

I totally know what it feels like to be getting back into the more fashionable world and feeling lost! Oh, also, I've been looking at more magazines to get ideas.

C99
12-13-2010, 06:54 PM
I think Ann Taylor loft has really cute stuff and it's not too trendy.

Utter garbage. I bought a coat last year. 3 weeks into wearing it, the lining ripped. I returned it and have not really bought anything at AT since.

C99
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I think stylish, good quality AND inexpensive is a tall order. I tend to spend more on bottoms and jackets, but buy trendier and less expensive tops. Tops are from AT Loft, H&M, Nordstrom Brass Plum (juniors) or Forever 21. I don't wear jeans a lot anymore, so I have 1-2 pairs that I wear exclusively. My current favorites are Vigoss Brooklyn skinny jeans from Brass Plum.

lcarlson90
12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Utter garbage. I bought a coat last year. 3 weeks into wearing it, the lining ripped. I returned it and have not really bought anything at AT since.

That stinks! I have bought my entire wardrobe there for the last 5 years and I have always had good experiences with their clothes. I think that can happen anywhere. I just wore a leather jacket for the first time that I bought at the Nordstrom sale and the lining of the pocket is completely ripped.

citymama
12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Look at the Boden end of season sale online right now. Otherwise, I'd say H&M but their quality is hit or miss.

TwinFoxes
12-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Completely agree. Nordstrom has great sales. And their house brand, Caslon, is great. Nordstrom Rack has good deals, and isn't as overwhelming and picked through as TJ Maxx.

I used to like BR a lot, but their clothes seem to be uninspired.

Agree with CityMama that Boden is worth checking out.

I love Anthropologie...on other people :)

bcafe
12-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters are owned by the same company!

Beth24
12-14-2010, 02:58 AM

:yeahthat: I just got some great, nicer name brand clothes at Bloomingdales -- all their sale stuff was marked down an additional 30%. I was able to combat the overwhelming factor by just sticking to the sale racks and pulling out the things in my size that I liked. A sales associate started putting everything in a room for me and then once I started trying on I sent her to find stuff in different sizes if I needed it. I tried on a lot but I ended up with a couple Splendid t's, a Theory dress and an Elie Tahari dress and a couple lightweight cashmere sweaters all at more than 50 % off.

DrSally
12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
:yeahthat: I just got some great, nicer name brand clothes at Bloomingdales -- all their sale stuff was marked down an additional 30%. I was able to combat the overwhelming factor by just sticking to the sale racks and pulling out the things in my size that I liked. A sales associate started putting everything in a room for me and then once I started trying on I sent her to find stuff in different sizes if I needed it. I tried on a lot but I ended up with a couple Splendid t's, a Theory dress and an Elie Tahari dress and a couple lightweight cashmere sweaters all at more than 50 % off.

Wow, good deals! I haven't stepped foot in a Bloomies in a long time--prob intimidated by the prices, but those are good deals, and such great service.

jerseygirl07067
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I get overwhelmed by Rte 4, myself, if I am placing your ZIP code correctly...

That's funny! Actually, when I lived in NJ I was close to Menlo Park and the Woodbrige Center Malls, off of Rt 1. I don't live there anymore though. I moved to FL after grad school. At the time I picked my username, Beverly Hills 90210 was popular and there were so many variations on jerseygirl email addresses. So I thought jerseygirl07067 would be more original. :)

ilfaith
12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
That's funny! Actually, when I lived in NJ I was close to Menlo Park and the Woodbrige Center Malls, off of Rt 1. I don't live there anymore though. I moved to FL after grad school. At the time I picked my username, Beverly Hills 90210 was popular and there were so many variations on jerseygirl email addresses. So I thought jerseygirl07067 would be more original. :)

I spent so many weekends at those malls growing up (I was an 08857 girl). Funny thing is, now living in Florida the mall I go to most frequently is still off of US 1.

diegosmom
12-18-2010, 11:02 PM
I Love Ann Taylor Loft and Ann Taylor as well. I find their clothes fit well and are very stylish but age appropriate. I haven't had any quality issues with their stuff.

ncat
12-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I Love Ann Taylor Loft and Ann Taylor as well. I find their clothes fit well and are very stylish but age appropriate. I haven't had any quality issues with their stuff.

I was thrilled to find out that the Ann Taylor outlet has many machine washable items in the made-for-the-outlet lines. What I have gotten has held up reasonably well.

twowhat?
12-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I wish there were a good single store for great clothes! I went shopping at Nordstrom Rack recently, thinking it was my best bet for one-stop-shop. I left with a pair of tights. I was really disappointed in everything else!

The one store I keep coming back to is j crew - the quality on most things is fantastic and their stuff for some reason fits me really well (though I used to be a size 2 and now I have to get a size 0 which is ridiculous...stop changing the sizing!!!) The problem with j crew is that they used to carry beautiful classic clothes with just a sprinkling of trendy pieces...and now they carry more trendy styles than I would like.

I've been looking more and more to LOFT and LE Canvas. My biggest beef with Canvas is the length of their tops. UGH too short. And my biggest beef with LOFT (AND everywhere else, it seems!!!) is the amount of acrylic in the sweaters!!! Seriously, can I get a sweater in a natural fiber, please? Cotton or wool?? Oh, and the polyester suiting pieces that you see at LOFT. That drives me insane. Good suiting pieces should be in fine wools!

eta: aww, crap. The title asks for advice from fashionista mamas, of which I am not.

DrSally
12-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I think places like NR, TJMax/Marshalls can really be hit or miss. Sometimes I find a boatload of stuff, other times, nada. I actually just found 3 items at Gap today, and I haven't shopped there in a looong time. Seems like the quality of their fabrics have gone down though.

citymama
12-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I also love Athleta - on sale.

Melanie
12-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Not a fashionista...just try to follow meekly in their shadows to get things here and there so I look like I at least came from the right century. ;)

BUT, I love Ann Taylor. The outlet was my favorite when we lived closer, Loft a second (I think outlet quality was better). Can't afford the real thing so I don't know what they have there. The only thing I don't like, is really a universal style, and that is the tissue-paper thin t-shirts. Everyone seems to be doing it and I don't like it one bit. They don't look as nice for as long. Shirts I bought a couple of years ago look nicer than the ones I bought last year.

I've never found anything at H&M that looked good on me. I was shocked to go shopping with a friend once, who is very slender, and ironically it all looked awful on her, too! I do like them for kids' clothing, though.

TwinFoxes
12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
The only thing I don't like, is really a universal style, and that is the tissue-paper thin t-shirts. Everyone seems to be doing it and I don't like it one bit. They don't look as nice for as long. Shirts I bought a couple of years ago look nicer than the ones I bought last year.

Try the Caslon brand t-shirts from Nordstrom. They are nice and thick, and go on sale often. Some are all cotton, but some have a bit of spandex added, which I like because I think they fit and hold their shape better. They come in lots of colors.

scriptkitten
12-19-2010, 09:06 AM
These are good ideas too. And I honestly have less reservations about spending more money on certain items such as pants or outerwear. I have a Marc Jacobs coat I got at a Barney's basement sale that I still wear and is several years old. And pants can last a long time too. My last three pairs of pants, including jeans, were expensive and purchased at Nordstrom- NOT on sale but worth it IMO. But trendy blouses? That's when I love H&M and Urban Outfitters.

This is my strategy as well.

LadyPeter
12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
The clothes I've gotten from Lands End Canvas seem to be well made (comparable to J Crew) and affordable. Not sure if that's your style. It's pretty classic and preppy, but with more stylish cuts and details than the original Lands End.

http://canvas.landsend.com/canvas/women/

lizzywednesday
12-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Oooh, I know that section of Rte 1 well myself and avoid it even more than I would Rte 4!!! (Grew up in North Jersey but attended Rutgers; knowing the layouts of quite a few malls from Paramus to Freehold is a sign that I am definitely a Jersey Girl myself!)

jvs195
12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Nothing really new to add. I love Nordstrom Rack (and the sales rack at regular Nordstrom) but somedays I find nothing and a few days later I find a lot. I don't have the patience or time anymore for sifting through Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They used to be my staples, but now everything seems more "made for Marshalls" and not really the real retail stuff marked down (like the Rack is mostly). I buy basics at BR and Gap (a lot less lately though). I like some basic things at ATL but do not consider them to be long lasting quality items. Once you find a few brands you like that fit well you can shop the online sales for the major department stores - it's easier to find things than in store and you can return to the B&M store. It takes time to build up a nice wardrobe, but if you make a list of basics to build on and start there it comes together. I check a few fashion blogs (youlookfab.com is one favorite that I heard about here) to get ideas for items I want and combinations to make. It's really helped me find things I already had to mix with newer things.

jerseygirl07067
12-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Thanks everyone! This thread has been so much fun reading. I've done a lot of shopping over the past few weeks, and it's a work in progress. I will say that I finally made it over to the Nordstrom Rack and felt like a kid in a candy store, lol!

After shopping for myself for the past few weeks, I left there with shoes for two of my DDs and Michael Kors shirt for DH for Christmas that was over 60% off.

DrSally
12-24-2010, 12:23 AM
I will say that I finally made it over to the Nordstrom Rack and felt like a kid in a candy store, lol!

I feel the same way sometimes! There is so much good stuff there! Since it takes time to look through the racks and I only have so much time, I force myself to skip the kids/mens depts!

Melanie
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Try the Caslon brand t-shirts from Nordstrom. They are nice and thick, and go on sale often. Some are all cotton, but some have a bit of spandex added, which I like because I think they fit and hold their shape better. They come in lots of colors.

Thanks!