PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a stroller!

mmama
12-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi. Okay, I tried searching the stroller forum to help narrow down my stroller choices but I haven't had much luck. I appreciate any stroller expertise you can share. I have a BJCM that my 3 year old loves and my 9 month old hates. Someone gave me a delapidated Mac Techno XR that's about six years old. My 9 month old likes it (3 y.o. didn't try it yet) but I don't want to keep it b/c it feels unsafe (handles and frame are shaky, sun visor is broken) and, well, all the fabric is kind of gross.

Here are my criteria for a new stroller:

1. Under $200 (prefer less than $150) new or used.
2. Umbrella or umbrella sized stroller.
3. Reclines for naps.
4. Weight limit above 40 pounds (my 3 y.o. is 40 pounds and will ride in the stroller when we travel so this is a must).
5. Seat is more upright than the BJCM.
5. Big or moveable sunshade.
6. I'd love the stroller to stand when folded but this isn't a necessity.

So, does this stroller exist?

golightly1118
12-13-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a Mac Triumph-I believe I paid $150 for it new about ten months ago, shortly before my baby was born. It has a partial incline (just enough for naps I would think, although my DD refuses to sleep anywhere but her crib or Pack n Play). I love my Mac for indoor duty and my kiddo seems happy in it, but am partial to my ATS (Joovy Zoom 360) for outdoor use, mainly because of the ride for my kiddo but also because of the huge sunshade.

arivecchi
12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Get this.

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=21172&site=CI&cm_mmc=cse-_-googlebase-_-strollers-_-MW-142&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=MW-142

My kids ADORE this stroller - especially the little guy.

It's got full recline, the most comfy fabrics I have ever seen, a super upright seat and leather handles. It also comes loaded with accessories!

roseyloxs
12-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Cybex Callisto (http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Cybex-Callisto-Lightweight-Stroller-in-Indigo/5148032/product.html)

The 2009 Cybex models are a great price on overstock. If you are thinking of adding a buggy board for your oldest then I might suggest looking at the cheaper Topaz since it has two handles vs the one bar of the Callisto.

tarnator
12-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Was going to suggest a Cybex from overstock.com too!
Or a Mac. The Al would do it, or a Triumph - I think.
Even the Uppababy g-luxe? But I haven't seen those on any sales yet.

jiggaman
12-14-2010, 02:54 AM
I have a Cybex Callisto (for now) and it meets all those requirements. The Topaz also meets all those requirements except for the last one.

I think the larger Macs would also meet the requirements, although I don't know about the last requirement since I don't have one.

sweetsoul99
12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
since your youngest likes the old techno, why not get a new one? I got my 2009 for 200 a year ago off craigslist. It has the big extendable sunshade, it's the only one of the mac's that does this (2009 and newer techno xt's). (as far as I know the al doesn't do this right?). It's pretty easy to push even with my 40 lb toddler in it. It requires 2 hands to steer when DD1 is in it, but that's expected. It's super easy to push and steer with my 30 lb almost 2 year old. I got a lascal buggy board for it and it's great for when I need to cover a lot of ground quickly, like at the mall. Lately DD1 prefers to sit in the stroller, and my 21 month old like to ride on the "skateboard" haha. totally fits their personality's. Oh, and the extendable foot (brain freeze, can't thing of the right term for it) is super convenient for when DD2 wants a nap, that might be really nice for your 9 month old.

This is probably not recommended, but when we're really in a cram, i'll stick both kids in it. Yes, all 60-70 lbs of them. I lean the seat all teh way back, put DD2 in the back and DD1 in front between her legs. yes, they fight, but we can get to where we need to quickly and it's still relativley easy to push.

mmama
12-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Lately DD1 prefers to sit in the stroller, and my 21 month old like to ride on the "skateboard" haha. totally fits their personality's.

LOL, that's my kids, too. I can totally see my nine month old standing while my older one chills in the stroller!

I didn't realize any Macs had an extended sun canopy. I'm rushing out the door now but I'll research later tonight. Good idea about the standing board. I didn't think of that.

I looked at the cybexs but I think that's too close to my DS1s weight - we'll go over the weight limit very soon and while he's mostly out of the stroller now he loves to ride in it when we travel. Plus we walk alot in general.

artvandalay
12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
The 2011 BJCM is more upright, and has a stiff, supportive back, perhaps you can take a look at one?

roseyloxs
12-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I looked at the cybexs but I think that's too close to my DS1s weight - we'll go over the weight limit very soon and while he's mostly out of the stroller now he loves to ride in it when we travel. Plus we walk alot in general.

You can call cybex and confirm but I read on mamabargains that the weight limit of the cybex strollers is 55 lbs and that was direct from the manufacturer. I believe the lower stated weight is a european listed limit which is pretty standard.

I have pushed my 35 lbs 3 year old in our Topaz and it steers just as well as when my 25 lbs 16 month old was in it. They are superb strollers and worth every penny and more.

poohbear
12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a Triumph, Albert Thurston Ryder and BJCM. 2011 BJCM sits way more upright than the older models. Albert Thurston Ryder is more than $200, but a Triumph or Quest would probably fit the bill for you. If your babe is older than 9 months old, I'd go Triumph :)