PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suite/condo recs at DW

MSWR0319
12-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have any recs for suites/condos in/near DW? DS has a peanut allergy so we are planning on cooking most meals, so we'll need some type of kitchen. I'm just not really sure where to start. We're willing to stay outside of DW and drive if it saves us a lot. I don't want to spend tons of money but realize we'll save money by eating in and will take that into consideration.

Also, if anyone has a child with peanut allergies, any tips I should know?

Thank you!

DietCokeLover
12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Wyndham Bonnet Creek

http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/

crl
12-14-2010, 12:49 AM
DW is actually awesome with food allergies. It is part of the reason we went. A real vacation, where I did not have to cook and ds had safe food to eat! DS's allergy is milk, plus some fruits. You can search here and the disboards for more info or start a post on FA at WDW.

No help on the place to stay, just wanted to suggest you research how well they accommodate food allergies so you can decide if you want to eat at WDW.

Catherine

mytwosons
12-14-2010, 06:56 AM
DW is actually awesome with food allergies. It is part of the reason we went. A real vacation, where I did not have to cook and ds had safe food to eat! DS's allergy is milk, plus some fruits. You can search here and the disboards for more info or start a post on FA at WDW.

No help on the place to stay, just wanted to suggest you research how well they accommodate food allergies so you can decide if you want to eat at WDW.

Catherine

:yeahthat: They were awesome with our multiple allergies, including peanut. Honestly, I didn't "get" Disney before we went. The only reason we went was because I felt they were the best at handling food allergies.

I would also suggest you call the special diet folks and talk to them about how they handle FAs. They can email you all kinds of information.

TwinFoxes
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Wyndham Bonnet Creek

This would be my suggestion too. I haven't stayed there, but it's technically on property, even though it's not a Disney hotel. I saw it, and it's really pretty. It's not very Disney themed, but it sounds like that's not a priority for you. The prices are really good compared to the Disney properties.

Someone on our board stayed somewhere called the Wiki Tiki Inn, or something similar. Ugh, I can't remember now. Maybe look through the last couple of trip reports? That person liked it.

I was also going to mention that Disney gets pretty much universal kudos for their handling of FAs.

ETA: It was LarsMal. This is what she said:
We stayed at the Liki Tiki resort, which is off 192. It was about 8 miles from the parks and a great place to stay. It was a little dated, but served our needs well. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo with a full kitchen and w/d. The ILs were in an adjoining room with a 1 bdrm 1 bath condo, with their own full kitchen & w/d. The pool was perfect for our kids and they had a playground, paddle boats, and a 9 hole mini golf course. It was great. It was also close to other restaurants/shopping, so it worked out well.

MSWR0319
12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
:yeahthat: They were awesome with our multiple allergies, including peanut. Honestly, I didn't "get" Disney before we went. The only reason we went was because I felt they were the best at handling food allergies.

I would also suggest you call the special diet folks and talk to them about how they handle FAs. They can email you all kinds of information.

This is part of what provoked me to go there. Our allergist told us that they were very good with allergies and it was one of the safest vacation resorts you can go to with peanut allergies. Glad to hear that's really true. I will call the special diet folks for sure!

lhafer
12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Wyndham Bonnet Creek

I second this! I almost stayed there this past trip. PM me and I can send you some info on cheaper rates depending on time of year and availability.

boolady
12-15-2010, 03:36 PM
We stayed at the Hilton Parc Soleil in October and loved it. We'd go back in a heartbeat. It's all studios, one bedrooms, and two bedrooms with kitchens. It's between 10 and 15 minutes from all of the WDW resorts. It just opened sometime in spring 2009, was immaculate, very reasonably priced, and was all families. It is a timeshare resort, but we just paid a daily rate through the Hilton website. It was recommended to us by friends that had spent a few nights there, and we just loved it. There's a zero entry pool with water sprayers, a slide, etc. and a kids' activity center, not that we used that too much. It was also very close to a few grocery stores, so we had breakfast almost every day and a few dinners back in our suite rather than eat out for every meal.

ETA: We did not have to deal with any timeshare hard sells. The first day we were there, we got a call inviting us to an informational breakfast, and DH told them we had WDW dining reservations at that time. That was the last we heard from them.

alien_host
12-15-2010, 06:44 PM
As PPs have said, WDW is awesome about food allergies. We were dealing with peanut, tree nut and egg at the time.

I highly recommend calling or e-mailing the special diets department. They do e-mail forms for you to fill out and also info about some foods/ingredient lists. If you make any ADRs, note the food allergies or mention it when you call. The hostess/waitstaff always knew about her allergy in advance. I also always asked to talk with the chef.

I was worried DD wouldn't be able to have Mickey waffles at Chef Mickey's and about a week before the trip, the Chef called me at home to say that he would ensure they made her waffles with an egg free mix (that was also nut safe).

We ate all of our meals on WDW property (except for breakfast in the room - I brought some stuff).

MSWR0319
12-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank so much for all of the great info! Does the Wyndham Bonnet Creek try to push their timeshares hard?

lhafer
12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Thank so much for all of the great info! Does the Wyndham Bonnet Creek try to push their timeshares hard?

Not that I have heard of. I think they will contact you a couple of times, just tell them no.

LarsMal
12-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Yep, we're the ones who stayed at the Liki Tiki. It really did work out well for our needs/family. I don't know if it would have been my first choice, but the ILs paid for it so I wasn't going to complain!! I think some of the buildings looked nicer/more updated compared to others. It felt more "beach rental" than "Disney", but again, perfectly fine. (According to DH I'm a bit of a snob and may have higher standards than others!!)

L has A LOT of food allergies so I didn't even bother looking into meal options (in the parks) for him. Kind of funny that the one allergy he doesn't have is peanut! No, he got screwed with foods like beef, pork, and now turkey. :(

Even if you don't make any special food arrangements, we found that when we did want to find something for him there were ingredient books or pamphlets to check. We would just ask at the counter or restaurant and go from there. We found DW employees to be very patient and helpful as we tried to find the occasional treat for L.

crl
12-15-2010, 11:37 PM
As PPs have said, WDW is awesome about food allergies. We were dealing with peanut, tree nut and egg at the time.

I highly recommend calling or e-mailing the special diets department. They do e-mail forms for you to fill out and also info about some foods/ingredient lists. If you make any ADRs, note the food allergies or mention it when you call. The hostess/waitstaff always knew about her allergy in advance. I also always asked to talk with the chef.

I was worried DD wouldn't be able to have Mickey waffles at Chef Mickey's and about a week before the trip, the Chef called me at home to say that he would ensure they made her waffles with an egg free mix (that was also nut safe).

We ate all of our meals on WDW property (except for breakfast in the room - I brought some stuff).

DS was also able to have the Mickey waffles at Chef Mickeys! I was worried because I had read that the standard allergy free batter had applesauce in it (ds' allergies include milk and apples). But the chef offered right away to do them. DS was ecstatic!

Catherine