PDA

View Full Version : Sinus Infection

BigDog
12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Will a sinus infection clear up on its own without antibiotic? In the past whenever I had one my dr would prescribe me an antibiotic and that would clear it up. Right now I have a bad one that is completely kicking my butt (plus I have two sick kids in the house too) and I'm struggling to function. Problem is, I don't want to take any antibiotics because I'm just getting over a wicked yeast infection that I definitely don't want returning! Besides the obvious OTC meds that would relieve some symptoms, is there anything else that I can do to help it run its course? And will it go away on its own eventually without an antibiotic? I've been using the neti pot which is helping a little. Any advice is appreciated!

Smillow
12-14-2010, 12:16 PM
My usual method is neti pot + lots of water + mucinex (generic) + ibuprofen. HTH! A humidifier might help, too.

BabyBearsMom
12-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I just had a viral sinus infection, so they can't even give you antibiotics for it. It kicked my butt to no end and took about 2 weeks to go away (and I still have the sniggles from it). I'd recommend drinking plenty of liquids, taking a 24 hour Claritin D (the stuff with pseudo-ephedrine), using a couple of squirts of afrin a day, and a humidifier next to your bed at night. If you have a fever, go to the doctor. Sorry you are going through this :hug:

Myira
12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I get a lot of sinus infections and a steam inhaler gives a lot of relief from congestion. Something like this http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-personal-cough-%26-cold-steam-inhaler/ID=prod5833954-product

If not just getting a steamy hot bath may give some relief.

oneontheway
12-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Unlucky for me.. my father passed down his genes for chronic sinus infections. The only thing that has helped us other than antibiotics is sinus flushing. It's like the neti pot but better I think because you get some force to flush the water through the sinuses. I use 1 cup warm water mixed with 1/2 tsp of non-iodine salt. Then use a suction bulb (like the kind you get at the hospital) on each side until the cup of water is gone. It forces the water through the sinuses without harming them. When I'm just preventing one, I do it 1x a day but if I end up getting a sinus infection I do it 2x day along with mucinex, humidifier, etc. Good luck and hope you feel better!

Danielle108
12-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I have suffered from chronic sinus infections but now I have a system that works and I have not taken antibiotics in two years. First the neti pot with a drop of lavender oil in the water with the salt this kills everything. I also use lavender oil for ear infections. Second have someone massage your shoulder blades all around the periphery of the shoulder blade. When DH does this for me I feel stuff breaking up in my head. Try it! And this one always comforts me I rub my feet down with Vicks and put on socks before bed. After a few days of this I am usually back to myself if not then I bring out the echinacea.
Oh and a word about yeast I take a couple teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in juice once or twice a day until it is gone. This always works for me. I am still nursing so I try to avoid taking medicine. Hope something here helps.