PDA

View Full Version : What cheese for Mac & Cheese?

stinkyfeet
12-14-2010, 03:57 PM
I read the past thread about making homemade Mac & Cheese--yummy! :cheerleader1:

Anyway, I have a pot-luck this Saturday and was thinking about making a kid-friendly mac & cheese (since the point of the get together is to bring together all of the little toddlers).

It seems like all of the recipes call for a sharp cheddar cheese. Has anyone experienced that this kind of cheese produces too strong of a flavor for little toddlers? Is there a cheese that you do recommend using for this age group?

Thanks! :wavey:

Nechums
12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I just use shredded mozzarella with a bit of butter/margarine/butter substitute. It's so simple and, yet, so tasty.

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Sharp cheddar hasn't been too strong of a flavor ime. We usually use medium cheddar though.

Beth

infomama
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Cheddar never worked for us so we use colby jack.

mezzona
12-14-2010, 04:08 PM
sharp cheddar is too sharp for my family.. we usually use mild cheddar. or i saw a mozzarella/jack/cheddar mix @ tjs

g-mama
12-14-2010, 04:54 PM
My absolute fave, if you can find it, is by Kraft and it is called Classic Melts Four Cheese blend. It has a pic of mac and cheese on the front of the bag. It's a mix of American, Sharp Cheddar, White Cheddar and Monterey Jack. It's perfect for a mild, cheesy taste, it never separates or curdles, and I won't use any other kind now if I can help it.