PDA

View Full Version : ISO Cinnamon bread receipe

DrSally
12-14-2010, 11:26 PM
My cousin makes an awesome, moist cinnamon bread, but I can't get in touch with her to get the receipe. Does anyone have a receipe they love? I'm talking about a banana bread type cinnamon bread, so like a sweet bread, IFKWIM...

ThreeofUs
12-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Mmmmm.... lots of yummy possibilities spring to mind.

How about taking a basic sweet bread recipe -
equal parts flour and sugar,
a teaspoon of vanilla and one egg for every cup of flour,
1/3-1/2 cup butter/oil for every cup of flour,
and 2 t baking powder and 1/2 t salt "f.e.c.o.f.",
cream sugar with liquids
sift together dry ingredients
combine
pour into a greased (maybe line the bottom with parchment?) pan
and then swirl in a mix of 2.5 t each of cinnamon and sugar (maybe with thin, little, iced pats of butter for pockets of wonderfulness?)

Hm. I'm going to have to experiment with this. But I'm allergic so I'll need taste testers.... ;)

missym
12-15-2010, 09:55 AM
This is such an easy and yummy quick bread recipe. It's my gift-giving bread.

Sweet Cinnamon Quick Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons sugar - for streusel
1 teaspoon cinnamon - for streusel
2 teaspoons butter - for streusel

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 deg F. Grease and flour bottom only of 9x5 or 8x4 inch loaf pan.
In large bowl, combine all bread ingredients. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter in pan.
Combine streusel ingredients and fold lightly into batter.
Bake 45-55 minutes. Bread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.

Source: Pillsbury's Best Baking Book

DrSally
12-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Thank you!....off to get some buttermilk

DrSally
12-20-2010, 11:21 PM
How do you guys wrap your bread that you're going to give as a gift? Plastic wrap and a ribbon? Or, do you put it in a decorative baggie?

ThreeofUs
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
How do you guys wrap your bread that you're going to give as a gift? Plastic wrap and a ribbon? Or, do you put it in a decorative baggie?

I used to buy decorative bread bags from Target or WF, but decided these weren't good for giving frozen bread.

If your bread isn't frozen, I'd say either of these options is good. I'd probably go with plastic wrap, on the assumption that folks would transfer the bread to plastic wrap anyway.

But I could be wrong! ;)

Anyway, good on you for making such nice gifts!! I should make some for our coming trip to see DH's family....

DrSally
12-21-2010, 11:51 PM
I used to buy decorative bread bags from Target or WF, but decided these weren't good for giving frozen bread.

If your bread isn't frozen, I'd say either of these options is good. I'd probably go with plastic wrap, on the assumption that folks would transfer the bread to plastic wrap anyway.

But I could be wrong! ;)

Anyway, good on you for making such nice gifts!! I should make some for our coming trip to see DH's family....

Decorative bread bags? Are these plastic baggies style or like a brown bag? I'm planning on making it close to Xmas, so it can be fresh. I can always do plastic wrap, but if there's a pretty bread bag out there, that would be nice. Are they avail at Target?

ThreeofUs
12-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Decorative bread bags? Are these plastic baggies style or like a brown bag? I'm planning on making it close to Xmas, so it can be fresh. I can always do plastic wrap, but if there's a pretty bread bag out there, that would be nice. Are they avail at Target?

Plastic style. Hmm... looking for an example...

Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Brownie-Stripe-Treat-Bag/dp/B001PKUXTW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1292991277&sr=8-10

18 x 5 x 4 in, which should be big enough for a gift bread, right?

I've seen them at Target, Joanne, etc. Ask friends or call around.

(ETA: I had to search under "cellophane bag" and "treat bag" to find this.... hth)

DrSally
12-22-2010, 12:45 AM
So cute! I searched under "decorative bread bag" and didn't come up with much.
I was just at Joanne's today. Darn. I have a few more things to get, so maybe I'll check Target. Should I be checking by the ziplock baggies or in the Xmas section? Thanks for all your help :)

ThreeofUs
12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
So cute! I searched under "decorative bread bag" and didn't come up with much.
I was just at Joanne's today. Darn. I have a few more things to get, so maybe I'll check Target. Should I be checking by the ziplock baggies or in the Xmas section? Thanks for all your help :)

I'd ask customer service first! :loveeyes:

DrSally
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd ask customer service first! :loveeyes:

good plan. At least I know what I'm looking for. I wonder if I even have some such bags stashed away from last year's clearance Xmas shopping (thinking they'd make good treat bags for the kid's classmates)

etaylor75
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Wanted to try this but couldn't wait 45 minutes for it to bake, so I made these this morning as muffins and they were really yummy!

Half a recipe = 8 muffins :)

Thanks!
Erin

missym
12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Wanted to try this but couldn't wait 45 minutes for it to bake, so I made these this morning as muffins and they were really yummy!

Half a recipe = 8 muffins :)

Thanks!
Erin

Oooh! I never thought to try it as muffins, though I do often make mini-loaves. Did you mix the streusel in or put it on top?

missym
12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
good plan. At least I know what I'm looking for. I wonder if I even have some such bags stashed away from last year's clearance Xmas shopping (thinking they'd make good treat bags for the kid's classmates)

I hope you found some bags! Our local cake decorating store carries them. I usually just wrap in foil or plastic wrap and tie with a bow. Sometimes I'll wrap them in a pretty cloth napkin if I'm also making a gift of the basket/container the bread is going into.

DrSally
12-24-2010, 12:38 AM
I made it in a double batch, one mini loaf and one larger loaf. Would be great as muffins. It tasted great, but I wondered why mine was a tad dry. I doubled everything but the butter for the strussel. Duh! I was also wondering if you've ever exchanged applesauce for the oil?

I ended up wrapping mine in a double layer of plastic wrap (neatly) and tying it with a nice ribbon with a plastic knife tucked into the ribbon. It looked very nice. I wondered if I should layer with foil as well to keep it moist? I love the idea of wrapping in a pretty cloth napkin!

ETA: I mixed my strussel all the way in. I was wondering if you could mix some in and then put some on top as well? Some crunch on top would be yummy.

etaylor75
12-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Oooh! I never thought to try it as muffins, though I do often make mini-loaves. Did you mix the streusel in or put it on top?

I added a little flour to the streusel mixture and put it on top - turned out great!

Erin

DrSally
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I added a little flour to the streusel mixture and put it on top - turned out great!

Erin

Sounds good, I'm going to try that next time. I'm going to use my remaining bread to make decadant french toast tomorrow morning.