PDA

View Full Version : Ryder or BJCM for spring in WDW?

DCmommy
12-16-2010, 07:30 PM
We're currently planning an early spring trip with my mom and stepdad to WDW with the three boys (they will be 8, 5.5 and just shy of 2 when we get there). We went 2 years ago when I was pregnant with DS #3, and brought our Mac Quest with Buggy Board because I knew DS #1 would get tired sometimes and want a break. While we were in WDW, DH caught the rear wheels on something while DS #1 was on the board and then, while pushing harder to try free it, he ended up irreparably bending the frame and so the Quest is gone. Until that point though, the Quest with board worked well -- it was easy to fold, carry, and gatecheck.

I now use a 2010 Bee as our everyday stroller, but I don't want to bring it on the plane. Our remaining options are a BJCM and a Mac Ryder. I'm pretty sure that DS #2 will want to ride at least some of the time, so I was thinking of bringing one of our less-expensive singles and using a buggy board again. Would you suggest the Ryder or the BJCM? The Ryder will be more like the Quest, which I already know worked well, but the BJCM has a quicker fold, better basket, and better canopy, and may be more comfortable on the whole for DS #3 (who'll be several years younger than DS #2 was on our last trip), but will it be more of a pain to carry and gatecheck because of the width?

Alternatively, I'm also open to getting a new lightweight double or bringing two singles to broaden our options, though I'm pretty sure DH will only want to bring one stroller.

TIA!

lhafer
12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I have a BJCM for everyday use and LOVE it. I rented a BJCMD while at Disney a few weeks ago and it was great. I would do the City Mini for the canopy alone!

Also I have a Valco Hitchhiker buggy board (http://www.amazon.com/Valco-Baby-Hitch-Hiker-Ride/dp/B000YJ89K0) that I can attach the back of my City Mini for when my 4 year old is tired of walking. It works well.

diegosmom
12-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I would do the City Mini for the canopy alone!

I live in Florida and am a big fan of the BJCM. The sun in Florida can be brutal.

erosenst
12-26-2010, 07:29 PM
We rented a BJCM from Magic Stroller Rental for our small 6 yo DD and loved it. Planning to do it again for this year. Loved the canopy, the storage, the easy fold, and easy steering.

It's a good thing we ONLY use a stroller at WDW, or I would have purchased one, we liked it that much!

kaharris83
12-26-2010, 08:27 PM
We're going to WDW in February and bringing our BJCM. Between that and our Frog the canopy on the BJCM wins so it's going to WDW. I actually bought a Samsonite 29" rolling suitcase that the BJCM fits perfectly into(when you remove the wheels). I wasn't excited about gate checking it but having it somewhat more protected in a suitcase makes me feel better. The stroller folds so nicely we still have a ton of room in the suitcase. We're flying JetBlue, we each get a checked bag for free so it isn't costing us extra to check it in a suitcase.