PDA

View Full Version : At what age do you move from tricyle to bicyle?

SoloMelody
12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
At what age do kids generally move from tricyle to bicyle?

vdrake71
12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I was hoping to have my 3 year old on a bike with training wheels, but she told me it was too scary. I am hoping that when she is 4 that the trike will be gone.

Momof3Labs
12-16-2010, 09:29 PM
DS2 had just turned 4yo when he gave up the trike for good. I don't remember how old DS1 was - probably 3.5yo because he was so tall (too tall for the trike/big wheel).

Melanie
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I suppose that depends if you are thinking balance bike, bike with training wheels or bike without training wheels?

Dd went to balance bike around 2 1/2 - 3 yo then straight to bike with no training wheels at age 4 1/2.

Ds went to bike with training wheels around age 4 1/2 then balance bike around age 6 then bike with no training wheels around age 6 1/2.

geochick
12-16-2010, 09:34 PM
3...balance bike.

WatchingThemGrow
12-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Age 2.5 balance bike. Age 4 bike with pedals only. They still love riding tricycles in the driveway, but bikes down the street.

KrisM
12-16-2010, 10:03 PM
At 3 they got a bike with training wheels and a balance bike. By 4, just a bike with pedals only.

brittone2
12-16-2010, 11:17 PM
DS1 got trike w/ pushbar at 2 (but was 2.5-3 before he could really pedal it around a lot I'd say). Got a balance bike at age 3. Moved to a regular pedal bike at 5 (could have started earlier but he was still happy on the balance bike and I was hoping to move right to a bigger bike.).

DD was riding the handmedown balance bike between 2.5 and 3. By 3.5 she was riding a pedal bike without training wheels. She rode the trike before she turned 2 but didn't pedal much until more like 2.5-3.

in our case there was a lot of overlap. When they first started the balance bike they were still enjoying pedaling the trike some.

sanja973
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
which bike with training wheels would you recommend and what is a good price for one?

stefani
12-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I think it depends on the size of the child. DS got a trike at 1.5 years old, balance bike at 4 years old, and regular bike without training wheels at 6 years old. DS is on the small side (25th percentile).

DS "gave up" the trike for good when he could not ride it comfortably anymore, and the same thing with the balance bike and the 12" bike (he rides a 16" bike now). So when he would ride the balance bike most of the time, but occasionally he jumped on the trike.

A friend's son who is very tall (90th percentile) rides a 16" bike at the age of 5, but he is almost as tall as DS (who is 7 years old). DS could not reach the pedals of 16" bike comfortably at 5 years of age.

arivecchi
12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
DS1 started riding a bike around 3. Balance bike at first but he did not like it so we then got a 16 inch Specialized Hotrock with training wheels about 2-3 months ago (he is all legs so he needed the 16 inch one). He just turned four. He loves his bike! It was about $150 but such great quality. Super light to push and perfect for him to pedal.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47707&eid=4360

stratosphere03
12-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I highly suggest a balance bike as a transition between a trike and a regular bike. ODS started riding a trike at 18 months, a balance bike at 2, and a pedal bike without training wheels at 3.5 years old. He totally skipped training wheels because the balance bike gave him the confidence to ride a regular bike without any hesitation the very first time he tried it.

mommybug
12-17-2010, 12:38 AM
DS1 started riding a balance bike at around 2.75 and went straight to a pedal bike without training wheels at 3.5.

SammyeGail
12-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow, I feel so behind, lol. I haven't gotten DS a bike since out yard is so uneven and even though this is residential, people drive like bats on this road. I can't wait until we move to FL, its at least flat there! Hopefully we can get him one in the spring or summer.....

Thanks everyone for the answers, and thanks alot OP for posting this question.

vonfirmath
12-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I was hoping to have my 3 year old on a bike with training wheels, but she told me it was too scary. I am hoping that when she is 4 that the trike will be gone.

My 3 year old can not reach the wheels on the bike his grandpa gave him yet.

robinsmommy
12-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Hmmm - anybody here tried just having the bike shop take off the pedals on a little bike and skipping the balance bike? Seems like it could work......

vonfirmath
12-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Hmmm - anybody here tried just having the bike shop take off the pedals on a little bike and skipping the balance bike? Seems like it could work......

1. Taking the pedals off is not quite that easy unless the bike was designed to be used in both methods.
2. You need a different size of balance bike vs pedal bike.

You want the balance bike to be sized such that your kid can use it to "run with" -- feet nearly flat on the ground, etc.

You want a pedal bike sized a bit higher, where they will NOT be always dragging their feet on the ground. Able to put a foot down, sure. But mostly keeping feet OFF the ground.

3. Balance bikes are VERY light so little kids can handle them better.

mommylamb
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
DS will be 4 in June. We plan on getting him a bike with training wheels in the Spring, sadly it will probably be before his birthday because his trike is way too small already and I know he'll want a bike for the spring. He has practiced on his friend's bike with training wheels and has no problem riding it.

baileygirl
12-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Around 2 we gave DS1 a balance bike, he rode that or a trike (neither was ridden much) until he turned 3. At 3 we got him a 16 inch bike with training wheels. Before he turned 4 we borrowed my brother's old bike (14 inch) and took the training wheels off.

LaCostaMom
12-17-2010, 03:56 PM

In addition to what vonfirmath wrote, balance bikes are also lighter than traditional pedal bikes. Our balance bike is only about 8 lbs (Hotwalk). I believe the Strider is even less at 6lbs.