PDA

View Full Version : BRU Maclaren Triumph - Is there a difference?

Tigerlily81
12-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi,
This is my first post here. :) I am looking at a Triumph from Babies R Us and I noticed the buckle is different from other Maclarens not sold at BRU. Are there any other differences? Same quality I hope?
Thank you!

Multimama
12-17-2010, 11:01 PM
If the buckle is different it may be an older model. The buckles were recently changed. The hinges have also recently changed so you might want to check that too. I wouldn't buy a new Maclaren without the new hinges unless it was a screaming deal.

Also, as far as I know the Triumphs sold at BRU do not come with a rain cover while all Triumphs sold elsewhere do. Not a big deal if you never use your stroller in the rain, but it's a pricey extra accessory if you want one.

ETA: Also, welcome to the stroller board! :)

purpelina
12-17-2010, 11:10 PM
second what multimama said.
There's a difference in the details. But quality is the same - excellent, be it an older model or new one.

Tigerlily81
12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Thank you! It is a 2009. My mom has a 2008 and her buckle is round. The buckle on this looks rectangular.

golightly1118
12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I have a 2009 BRU Triumph and have been very happy with it. But I agree with a few posts up, I wouldn't buy one new because of the hinge cover issues, as far as I know only the 2010's have the re-designed hinges (you can get hinge covers for the 2009's, but they're a PITA to use-I never use mine, my daughter is always strapped into her car seat when I collapse the stroller anyway). Also I haven't missed a rain cover, but I may get one one sale because I live near Chicago and it's currently in the teens, so it depends on where you live.

poohbear
12-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a 2009 BRU Triumph and have been very happy with it. But I agree with a few posts up, I wouldn't buy one new because of the hinge cover issues, as far as I know only the 2010's have the re-designed hinges (you can get hinge covers for the 2009's, but they're a PITA to use-I never use mine, my daughter is always strapped into her car seat when I collapse the stroller anyway). Also I haven't missed a rain cover, but I may get one one sale because I live near Chicago and it's currently in the teens, so it depends on where you live.

Actually the BRU ones always seem to have the older design buckles no matter the year - that's their 'thang (I have a 2009, but have seen the 2010's there and they have the older buckle too). They also do not tend to come with raincovers and tend to be two tone rather than one color. They also tend to be a bit less expensive. And if you can snag one on clearance at BRU, you can get a steal - I got mine for $85 last year. (I think they're 30% off clearance now and then I believe you can use a 20% off coupon on top of that - at least that has been the case in the past). I have a raincover for my Ryder but not my Triumph. Rarely use it on the Ryder so I haven't missed it on the Triumph (and I live in Chicago too)

And the hinges are fine old or new IMO. I have the covers on mine -they don't bother me at all - I honestly just put them on so I wouldn't lose them, but DS is rarely around the stroller, let alone with his fingers near the hinges when I close it anyway...

Multimama
12-18-2010, 08:27 PM
And the hinges are fine old or new IMO. I have the covers on mine -they don't bother me at all - I honestly just put them on so I wouldn't lose them, but DS is rarely around the stroller, let alone with his fingers near the hinges when I close it anyway...

I would want the new hinges for the resale value. People seem to be very freaked out about the old Maclaren hinges and even though I'm not, I would want to be able to offer new hinges on CL if/when I sold it.

Also, I have heard that the new frames on the 2010s are also different so the old fabric sets won't fit them and vice versa (this is at least true for the Quest, not sure about the others). So if something happened to your fabric set it might be harder to get a replacement for an older model.

Also, the 2010s have a central brake pedal, which I think is easier to use, especially in sandals or flip flops. (I assume this is true for BRU too although none of my Macs came from there.)

Tigerlily81
12-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Thank you for all your comments, it was very helpful! I decided to go ahead and get it since I got a pretty good deal on it. As for the hinges, I probably will use the covers, although like pp, my daughter is never nearby when I open and close my stroller. I guess the lack of rain cover isn't a huge loss, although it does rain a lot in FL. I'm hoping the canopy will be big enough to block some rain if I have to run from the parking lot to the store. Thanks again for your help. :)

poohbear
12-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I would want the new hinges for the resale value. People seem to be very freaked out about the old Maclaren hinges and even though I'm not, I would want to be able to offer new hinges on CL if/when I sold it
true enough but if op like me got an awesome deal the resale is not as big an issue because at $85 if you sell at $50 in a few years you're still ahead ;)
Eta you can buy a raincover if you decide you need one. Check ebay ;)

Multimama
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
true enough but if op like me got an awesome deal the resale is not as big an issue because at $85 if you sell at $50 in a few years you're still ahead ;)

True, but if you're like me and you decide you hate the stroller you got an awesome deal on before you're LO has even ridden in it, you're not ahead unless you can sell it for what you paid for it. :p

poohbear
12-19-2010, 04:48 PM
True, but if you're like me and you decide you hate the stroller you got an awesome deal on before you're LO has even ridden in it, you're not ahead unless you can sell it for what you paid for it. :p

Yes, but I don't think the hinge design hinders resale that much. You are not going to get an extra $90 when you go to sell because of the new hinges... I think the condition of the stroller is more of a factor and the market you're in. Just my 2 cents though. I fully anticipate being able to recoup a big chunk of my costs from my triumph when I eventually sell it (probably more so than I will on Albert Thurston, since people don't know what a Ryder is), assuming I take good care of it. We have 4-5 year old triumphs selling for upwards of $75 all the time on my CL. Again, depends on the market...