PDA

View Full Version : do you find you need a double more now?

jacksmoma
12-18-2010, 10:03 PM
so mine are now 3 and 1 /2 and i feel like i need a double for almost every errand/outting! i used to get by just fine with a light single in the car and just using a double for longgg days out but it feels like my 3 year old had become MUCH worse out in public (not listening to me, throwing tantrums, and just not following without a huge negotiation...)...i almost feel like i need a bjcmd to keep in my car AND a bob duallie at home! am i nuts? both my kids want to run around EVERYWHERE now and it's beyond frustrating and hard to go anywhere without wanting to cry. don't want to lug my bob everywhere!! what sound i do? a board on my bee just won't cut it, 3 year old will just hop off when he pleases. help those who have been here with kids this age!

scriptkitten
12-18-2010, 10:08 PM
i have 2yr old twins, which is not the same, but i relate to having two kids running helter skelter. i NEED a double so that i can keep them in one place while i do my errands. they just aren't good enough at entertaining themselves out of the stroller without wandering off or destroying a store…. yet

arivecchi
12-18-2010, 10:10 PM
My double stroller (AKA containment device) is essential for many trips! My 4 yo actually likes sitting on the double. If we take a single, he invariably wants to sit down and kick DS2 out.

WatchingThemGrow
12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
always. and when i have all 3 with me, the ergo and the valco board usually come too. We need to be happy and safe, and that means seats with straps.

diegosmom
12-18-2010, 10:31 PM
My BJCMD is almost mandatory for my 4 and 2 year old if I have both of them with me. I'm just not into having to listento my 2 scream b/c her brother gets to walk and she doesn't. I also don't feel like running around the store chasing one of them. If I'm with only my 4 year, we usually will walk but not when I have both. It's not worth my sanity.

jacksmoma
12-18-2010, 11:21 PM
ok glad it's not just me! don't know what to do- hubs def won't let me buy another so does the bob go or the bee? i just looove the bee but feel like a really don't need a single more than maybe once a week at that. i love my bob, weather is super sucky now so it's hardly used but i know once warm weather rolls around in spring i'll want to get out walking with them and the bjcmd is not good at all for that! what to do?! so weird that i want a double for the car NOW that my second is older! i though by 3 he'd listen to me but it's been the complete opposite! weird. i guess i'll think it over?

brgnmom
12-19-2010, 04:20 AM
so weird that i want a double for the car NOW that my second is older! i though by 3 he'd listen to me but it's been the complete opposite! weird. i guess i'll think it over?

I didn't expect myself to even consider a double stroller before I got pregnant with my second child when my DS was 3. But while I was pregnant and he was around 3.5 years old, I knew that we would probably need a stroller for both kids. He was still napping at that point in the mac techno xt, and he just enjoys being in a stroller while we're out and about. It's been super helpful having the bjcmd, and my son loves sitting in it and being next to his 1-month-old sister. I also enjoy baby wearing (for my DD) and having my son sit in his mac techno stroller or just walk along with me, but I find that many times it's so nice to have them both in the double stroller. Sure, the bjcmd doesn't have ATs, but b/c we are indoors a lot of the times and the neighborhood we live in has smooth sidewalks, we don't really have the need for an AT stroller at the moment. actually, my bugaboo cam is currently at my parents' home. the bjcmd has been great as a car stroller - I love it!

Eagletmom
12-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Ah, this thread reminds me of my very 1st stroller outing/walk with my then 4.5, 2 YO and newborn. I dusted off my Joovy Caboose for a quick jaunt in the lovely spring weather. I had to put my newborn in the carseat since the front seat is strictly 6 mos and up and I strapped my 2 YO on to the very squished toddler platform. Needless to say all 3 of my children were crying within 2 min, my 4.5 YO because there was no place for him to sit, my 2YO because he was cramped and he wanted to walk like his big brother, and my newborn because he hated his carseat with a passion. We were quite a sight to behold ;-) The walk ended with me carrying my newborn, my 2YO Houdining his way out of the 3 point harness and throwing himself off the moving stroller which allowed for my sulky 4.5 YO to jump on board the step. Ah the joys of strolling.

I ended up ditching the Joovy and getting a MBUD with a toddler board, but that's another story ;-)

WatchingThemGrow
12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Ah, this thread reminds me of my very 1st stroller outing/walk with my then 4.5, 2 YO and newborn. I dusted off my Joovy Caboose for a quick jaunt in the lovely spring weather. I had to put my newborn in the carseat since the front seat is strictly 6 mos and up and I strapped my 2 YO on to the very squished toddler platform. Needless to say all 3 of my children were crying within 2 min, my 4.5 YO because there was no place for him to sit, my 2YO because he was cramped and he wanted to walk like his big brother, and my newborn because he hated his carseat with a passion. We were quite a sight to behold ;-) The walk ended with me carrying my newborn, my 2YO Houdining his way out of the 3 point harness and throwing himself off the moving stroller which allowed for my sulky 4.5 YO to jump on board the step. Ah the joys of strolling.

I ended up ditching the Joovy and getting a MBUD with a toddler board, but that's another story ;-)
:hug: That sounds like us the few times we've gotten somewhere (usually after a trip where we've switched out strollers) and realized we didn't have the right equipment to make it into the store. It's like this HUGE burden is weighing on you when you HAVE to go into the store/dr's office/ PO or whatever. Last week we went to return some stuff at Sears/LE while I was feeding them Chick-Fil-A in the stroller. We only had the BJCMD (no board on it), so the big kids were sitting on top of each other in one seat screaming, pushing, kicking, and digging/snorting into their fast food fried chicken lunch bags while the 1.5yo was babbling and enjoying chewing and spitting the fries down the front of his clothes. And the sales associate where we were doing the returns said, "Why don't you look around to see if there's anything else you'd like to buy?" :shake:

sweetsoul99
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
My double stroller (AKA containment device) is essential for many trips! My 4 yo actually likes sitting on the double. If we take a single, he invariably wants to sit down and kick DS2 out.
:yeahthat:

jacksmoma
12-19-2010, 12:56 PM
thanks for all the replies! i thought i was the only one with a 3 year old who won't just walk quietly with me while i do my shopping without wanting to go the opposite way! such a nightmare to run errands these days! don't know how in the world i am going to part with one of my strollers...do i really want two doubles? but do i want to keep a single that gets such little use? hmmmm...

legaleagle
12-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I must say this thread is scaring me a bit! Mine are currently 28 months and 7 months and I thought we'd be done with doubles by next summer. Of course, DS1 is a bolter when not in the stroller so I'm not sure why I thought that.

This is enabling me to get one of those easywalker doubles though and trade in my latitude double....

jacksmoma
12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
haha if yours are like mine it gets worse in a few months- especially when your second wants to start walking everywhere around 18 months or sooner! and my now 3 year old has just gotten so difficult in general since he turned 3 (everyone says the twos are nothing, it's the 3's you gotta watch out for!)....i would not sell your lightweight just yet; air tire strollers are a pita for car use...

legaleagle
12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I'm going to hold onto the latitude at least until the spring. Buying another stroller would be a serious detriment to marital harmony at the moment.

And I've definitely heard that about the 3s, not looking forward to that!

arivecchi
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I just went for a stroll with my two kids to the downtown area and Macy's and took the MB Duo. DH thought I was nuts and wanted me to take the Swift with the board but I knew that since it's cold and it was a long walk DS1 would be miserable if he did not have a place to sit.

It was the first time we took the Duo in our car. It just fit in the trunk but I had to take off the back wheels and whoa - it is a beast to lug in and out of the car. Ok, for a couple of times a year, but not for a day-to-day basis.

It was awesome for downtown and it actually glided through all the doors at Macy's. We even took it with us into a bathroom and it fit in all the elevators! It would have been a miserable outing without Mr. Duo. ;)

abh5e8
12-19-2010, 05:09 PM
hmmm....my 3 dc are 3.75, 2 and 2 months. i am dreading dreading dreading putting ds on the scale. last month he was 31lbs. the max on the second seat of my P&T's is 33 lbs. now more then ever, i need two seats with straps if we all 3 want to go anywhere. and the newbie is gaining weight so fast, he is gonna need a seat before long too. sigh.

eta; op, can you just use the bob in the car and at home? we rented a BJCM for a couple of weeks, and i did not think it had a small fold at all. not sure it would save much space in your car over the bob.

jacksmoma
12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
wow your 3.75 year old is light- mine just turned 3 and is alread 37 lbs- pretty skinny or normal i guess but very tall (41 inches!)...i had a bjcmd at one point and the fold is a million times smaller and more flat than my bob- huge difference. just don't know how i'll give up another stroller. there are some places that even a small double is overkill and what will i do w/o my bee?

arivecchi- so glad to hear you took your double and not the board! boards are a cool concept but i'm really not getting how they would work for anyone...when you need a second seat you really need a second seat!

roseyloxs
12-19-2010, 06:15 PM
boards are a cool concept but i'm really not getting how they would work for anyone...when you need a second seat you really need a second seat!

My son is a walker. He rarely has interest in sitting in a stroller. For grocery trips he has been walking since he was about 2. If he ever took off or touched too many things he got put in the cart for 2 minutes(like a timeout) and then would come out and try again. If we are in busy crowds he is required to hold someone's hand or part of the stroller. So the board works great for us. If one of the rare times he actually wants to ride in the stroller occurs then I always have my Beco for my 17 month old.

Example when we went to Zoo Lights in Chicago a couple of weeks ago it was freezing and I was sure he would want to ride but he lasted about 5 minutes in the stroller and then walked the rest of the way holding someone's hand. Which was a blessing because I borrowed a kolcraft double and it pushed so much nicer without his 35 lb self.

jacksmoma
12-21-2010, 11:35 PM
so now i'm thinking a micro double at $200 might be good for me to keep in my car- i don't really need the recline/humungo hoods since mine are not babies and not into the hood much. not sure if i need to keep the bee or not, i just love it though :) is that too much to have a micro and bob double?

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 01:34 AM
No. I don't think so and at $200 you can probably get a good chunk back later. The loss is worth your sanity, right? I say keep the bee and get the micro! You will find a use for them all.

arivecchi
12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
No. I don't think so and at $200 you can probably get a good chunk back later. The loss is worth your sanity, right? I say keep the bee and get the micro! You will find a use for them all.
:yeahthat:

jacksmoma
12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
i know i will but hubby thinks strollers are a luxury...he says we could get by with just the double bob- coming from someone whos at work all week! if only he was in my shoes for a day...i think i will keep the bee b/c in a year or so hoping my then 4 year old will be better at walking? or will be in school more? i don't know!

swissair81
12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Ha! Now you know why I have so many double strollers. I can't believe I sold my BJCMD and rebought another one less than 6 months later. At least it's black now. Lol.

momtoax3
12-22-2010, 12:51 PM
so now i'm thinking a micro double at $200 might be good for me to keep in my car- i don't really need the recline/humungo hoods since mine are not babies and not into the hood much. not sure if i need to keep the bee or not, i just love it though :) is that too much to have a micro and bob double?

Definitely not too much to keep both. If doable, I think it is best to have a lightweight car double and an a/t double.

jacksmoma
12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
thanks all for the enabling! not sure if i should go for the mini or micro- $200 vs. about $320 (on sale..) it will be for errands and those sort of things, will prolly do the bob for disney or outdoor adventures. looks like there is LOTS more room in the micro for my tall 41" 3 year old son BUT the mini has nicer fabric, full recline, more padding and bigger shades...not sure if i "need" those extras since mine are toddlers?! i don't think i'll be able to squeeze more than $200 for a third stroller! it's been over a year since i've seen the micro irl and i remember thinking it just looked more plan but otherwise the same.

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 01:41 PM
It has smaller wheels too but I think for indoors it wouldn't be a big deal. I would still get the micro. You don't need the recline or canopies for most errands. Save yourself some grief and hide the Bee in a closet; maybe your husband will forget you own a third stroller.

pastrygirl
12-22-2010, 01:46 PM
I would love to get a double. My 4.5-year-old is always complaining that he's tired whenever we go out. He tries to climb into our single BJCM on top of his younger brother!

jacksmoma
12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
It has smaller wheels too but I think for indoors it wouldn't be a big deal. I would still get the micro. You don't need the recline or canopies for most errands. Save yourself some grief and hide the Bee in a closet; maybe your husband will forget you own a third stroller.

that's a GREAt idea- out of sight, out of mind right??? the bee's just so pretty and cute, and what if (not planning but you never know!) i had a third i would DEF. want a reversible stroller.

lhafer
12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I would love to get a double. My 4.5-year-old is always complaining that he's tired whenever we go out. He tries to climb into our single BJCM on top of his younger brother!

:hysterical: Thought mine was the only one who did that!

alirebco
12-22-2010, 02:02 PM
This thread is making me question whether I want a true double or not since DS will be 3 years 3 months when the new baby comes along. He is a runner also and does not listen well when we're out. I was thinking of getting a new AT stroller anyway, but maybe I should make it a double? I guess I can always sell it when he is better at walking and then get a single AT? But I really think I can get away with wearing the new baby for a few months anyway. Argh, decisions, decisions.

jacksmoma
12-22-2010, 02:09 PM
i would go with a double- i don't if girls are better at waling next to their mom's but my 3 year old son is worse now then he was when i second was born a year and half ago- now he knows where HE wants to go and does not just listen to me. go for the double!

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 04:06 PM
This thread is making me question whether I want a true double or not since DS will be 3 years 3 months when the new baby comes along. He is a runner also and does not listen well when we're out. I was thinking of getting a new AT stroller anyway, but maybe I should make it a double? I guess I can always sell it when he is better at walking and then get a single AT? But I really think I can get away with wearing the new baby for a few months anyway. Argh, decisions, decisions.

I would not buy an AT double for car use. I think a good carrier and AT single would work better in and out of the car. However if we are talking about long neighborhood walks out of the garage then an AT double would work nicely.

alirebco
12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I was thinking for neighborhood walks. Especially since that will be my main form of exercise this summer and fall. Baby will be born in April so not sure if the main AT doubles will work for her.

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I was thinking for neighborhood walks. Especially since that will be my main form of exercise this summer and fall. Baby will be born in April so not sure if the main AT doubles will work for her.

What do you mean? Suitable for newborns? The BOB is not suitable until 8 weeks maybe. Most of the others though have a flat recline and can be used immediately. Some even have carrycots available like the MB duo and bumbleride indie twin. If you have your heart set on a BOB you can always use a carrier for the first 2 months and just push the duallie around with one kid.

brgnmom
12-22-2010, 08:20 PM
thanks all for the enabling! not sure if i should go for the mini or micro- $200 vs. about $320 (on sale..) it will be for errands and those sort of things, will prolly do the bob for disney or outdoor adventures. looks like there is LOTS more room in the micro for my tall 41" 3 year old son BUT the mini has nicer fabric, full recline, more padding and bigger shades...not sure if i "need" those extras since mine are toddlers?! i don't think i'll be able to squeeze more than $200 for a third stroller! it's been over a year since i've seen the micro irl and i remember thinking it just looked more plan but otherwise the same.

hey, I'm not sure if you've already ordered the micro double, but I :heartbeat: the mini double stroller. It was a huge help to have the larger shades when we were caught in the heavy rain earlier today. My newborn remained completely dry and my (4year old) DS's legs were a bit wet w/o the rain cover for the stroller. The mini is worth the additional $, imho.

jacksmoma
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
hey, I'm not sure if you've already ordered the micro double, but I :heartbeat: the mini double stroller. It was a huge help to have the larger shades when we were caught in the heavy rain earlier today. My newborn remained completely dry and my (4year old) DS's legs were a bit wet w/o the rain cover for the stroller. The mini is worth the additional $, imho.

i know, the mini is super nice, i've had a mini before (both single and double!!) depends on if i sell the bee or not- if i do, i can go for the mini double, if not, the micro will have to do! really still thinking if i need the bee or not, i know i will down the road but right now if i had a small double in my car the bee would rarely get used. my dh is going to kill me if he knew i was thinking of getting another double, money is really tight so i might have to sell my beloved bee :(

brgnmom
12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
i know, the mini is super nice, i've had a mini before (both single and double!!) depends on if i sell the bee or not- if i do, i can go for the mini double, if not, the micro will have to do! really still thinking if i need the bee or not, i know i will down the road but right now if i had a small double in my car the bee would rarely get used. my dh is going to kill me if he knew i was thinking of getting another double, money is really tight so i might have to sell my beloved bee :(

aw :( the bee is an awesome stroller. I have the cam but it's currently at my parents' home - we just don't have much storage space right now. the bjmd lives in the trunk of my crv, and it works wonderfully as a car double stroller.

strollerqueen
12-23-2010, 05:35 AM

Keep the Bee and get the Micro. I just got a single Micro, and it is a lot better than I expected. I don't know why it gets a bad rap; it's pretty nice. Especially at these bargain prices! It will be just fine for what you need it for.