PDA

View Full Version : What stroller (if any) for a 1 day trip with DD3

swissair81
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
My dd is almost 4 months & hasn't yet hit 11 lbs. We're going into the city for 1 day in January. Choices are Buzzy the Bee, Swifty, or the trusty Mei Tai. For some reason, DH is adamant that we need a stroller. I do not want to have to break anything down in the airport to go through security, which means I will be checking it as luggage. This makes me think that I should just check a car seat & a frame & not bring a stroller at all. It's not like she's heavy or anything. Opinions?

abh5e8
12-19-2010, 05:02 PM
mei tai. unless having a stroller for all your stuff (not sure how cold it is there...but lots of coats and hats and water bottles are nice for a stroller too :)) would be a good idea.

jacksmoma
12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
i say bee- great push but easy to fold and carry. always good to have somewhere for all your stuff and if you need somewhere for baby for a bit.

crl
12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd probably go with a mei tai. I'd be afraid to trust the airline with a bee. And for one day and an 11 pound baby? I guess the stroller could come in handy for eating though? Place to set the baby down? When you say frame, do you mean like a snap n go! That seems like a good possibility. You would have the basket for coats and mittens and such and a place to set the baby, but you wouldn't have to check an expensive stroller. Of course, then you'd have to deal with it on public transportation. . . .

Catherine

swissair81
12-19-2010, 05:37 PM
The PT is to and from the airport. I need to bring a car seat anyway. I don't have a seat adaptor for either of my single strollers. I'll be honest, I almost never use a stroller for her. I used to when I walked daily, but it's too cold now. I'd rather just bundle her into the carrier when I run errands and stuff. My snugrider gets zero use these days too. I keep it in the garage since I have a Chicco seat & a Graco frame. I still have my graco seat & then I don't have to bring the car seat that is always in my car with me.

jacksmoma
12-19-2010, 05:59 PM
if you got an adaptor for the bee that would be cool too... if i had a third (which i do not plan on!) i would be all over that bee graco adaptor...

swissair81
12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
if you got an adaptor for the bee that would be cool too... if i had a third (which i do not plan on!) i would be all over that bee graco adaptor...

But I have her in a Chicco. I bought it because she was too small for the Graco when she was born. I love the install. I'm not going back to the SNG so quickly. I was disappointed to find out that there is no Chicco adaptor. I do have a nest for it though, so it is pretty cozy.

roseyloxs
12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
since you are bringing a car seat anyway then I would bring the frame and the MT.

liamsmom
12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
since you are bringing a car seat anyway then I would bring the frame and the MT.

:yeahthat: You won't want to carry around an empty car seat all day. And you won't be devastated and/or out $600 if the airline trashes your frame.

purpelina
12-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Are you going to 'Motor City" aka Detroit or some other place? Reason I'm asking is snow. If roads will be covered in snow and ice, car seat frame is not the best choice for outdoor. wheels are small and it'll be hard to push. A true AT stroller would be better. Bee would be ok, and it reverses, which is great for such young baby. Or stick with the mei tai for better protection from the cold.

swissair81
12-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Are you going to 'Motor City" aka Detroit or some other place? Reason I'm asking is snow. If roads will be covered in snow and ice, car seat frame is not the best choice for outdoor. wheels are small and it'll be hard to push. A true AT stroller would be better. Bee would be ok, and it reverses, which is great for such young baby. Or stick with the mei tai for better protection from the cold.

Actually, I live in Detroit (Metro). I know all about snow. We're going to NYC. My husband bought concert tickets for the 2 of us for my birthday. We're going to stay in a hotel that is close by to the hall & we're going to have a babysitter in our room. That's why I'm wondering if stroller will be seriously redundant if I'm not planning on using it in the airport. Major plus for my Mei Tai is that it is minky lined. Should be pretty snuggly in there.

jacksmoma
12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
didn't even think about the nasty cold weather you all have over there- for sure a carrier for such a young baby! they would get so cold in a stroller all by themselves. what a nice hubby you have! where are all your other kids going to be if you don't mind me asking...wondering why you are bring the little one?

swissair81
12-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm having a babysitter sleep over at my house, so the older ones are all taken care of. My parents live around the corner & the babysitter can call if she needs something. I'm bringing the little one, because she is EBF. I'm very excited, I don't often get hubby to myself for a whole day.

arivecchi
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I think I would just do the carrier. Sounds like fun!

atx
12-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Definitely the carrier. If you don't mind me asking, what Mei tai are you using for the baby? I have an old babyhawk on loan from our lending library but my 2month old hates it because it doesn't cuddle her enough. She loves the moby and is ok with the linen ring sling.

swissair81
12-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Definitely the carrier. If you don't mind me asking, what Mei tai are you using for the baby? I have an old babyhawk on loan from our lending library but my 2month old hates it because it doesn't cuddle her enough. She loves the moby and is ok with the linen ring sling.

It's a Babyhawk custom. I wrap it really tightly & it's pretty cuddly in there. I could never figure out the moby & I can't use ring slings because of my back. The Babyhawk is great because it goes on so quickly. It's even faster than my Pikkolo (which is not seeing any love lately. It may be time to sell it).