PDA

View Full Version : Flor carpet tiles

TwoBees
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
We are about to begin the process of finishing our basement. We are planning to do hardwood, and then I had originally planned to use foam interlocking mats in the play area. I am now looking for other ideas, since the report that the foam mats are toxic. Has anyone used Flor carpet tiles? Are they eco-friendly and easy to use?

emily
12-20-2010, 01:49 PM
We dont have the Flor brand but we have carpet tiles over our hardwood in the kids play area. They are really easy to install. I love that I can replace them if they get spilled on, drawn on, peed on etc. The negative thing I can say is that it does leave a sticky residue on the hardwood. When it comes time to get rid of the tiles, I need to do some research on how to remove the residue.

We found ours on the clearance table at Home Depot a few years back at a great price. We're kicking ourselves for not buying more.

WatchingThemGrow
12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
We got FLOR to cover smooth cement in our converted porch/mudroom/laundry room/office/guestroom ;) about 5 years ago. We got it at Lowe's when special order carpet was 20% off (so maybe about this time of year or a little after??). It was a slightly more expensive option, but the fact that it has had liquid laundry detergent, puke, mud, poop, etc spilled on it has made it worthwhile. We will sometimes put the tiles in the tub, soak then scrub then air-dry them. They come out looking new. We did buy 5 or so extras so we could replace the worn areas when we move. After using MIL's steam cleaner on them this past year, I really doubt we will be replacing any. They came out looking brand new.

As for the PP'ers concern about the residue, I assume something like Goof Off will remove the sticky stuff that's on the base tiles that form a cross in the room you install it in, along with the border ones. I think we did not use the sticky stuff on the borders because they were cut to size and will not slip regardless.

We do lay on it, play on it, fold laundry on it, etc. It has no padding, but it sure is more comfy than wood, concrete, indoor/outdoor carpet, etc. So, 5 years later, we'd still make the same choice.

infomama
12-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I LOVE Flor tiles. Saved my sanity more than once when the dogs had accidents in the house. I am holding off on buying area rugs for two rooms because I love Flor so much and right now it would be too $$$. The one Flor area rug I have is maybe four/five years old and it looks new.
As far as the residue is concerned I noticed that under one tile when we moved it to another room and vinegar/water and elbow grease took it off...not problem.

alirebco
12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Love FLOR! A little tedious to put together but so easy to keep clean.

nupe
12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
We are using the FLOR carpet tiles over ceramic tiles in sun room that is used as a playroom. I didn't stick them down, and they have stayed in place, probably due to train table, etc. I was worried that they wouldn't cushion my toddler enough when he was first learning to walk, but he did fine!