PDA

View Full Version : Are your DDs involved with American Heritage Girls??

Corie
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I saw a bumper sticker on a mini-van today in the Kroger parking lot.

The bumper sticker was for American Heritage Girls.

http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=18722

What exactly is American Heritage Girls? Are any of your
daughters a part of American Heritage Girls?

I'm wondering if this is something similar to Girl Scouts.

Just curious! I'm always on the look-out for fun and interesting
activities for my kids. Thanks!

AnnieW625
12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
There is one in Los Angeles (could be as close as 15 minutes, but as far as an hour), and one in La Mirada (20 minutes from me), but I have never heard of this group before.

Per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Heritage_Girls) it was started when a Girl Scout troop did not approve of lesbians being accepted as Girl Scout leaders. I looked it up on Wikipedia when I couldn't find a link on the front of their page that said "About", but could tell it was Christian based just based on the word ministry being so prominent on their webpage.

bigsis
12-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I was just listening to Dr James Dobson on the radio talking about this. Yes, it's a Christian group.

I was looking into it as well, but unfortunately, it's too far for me.

MacMacMoo
12-20-2010, 04:42 PM
we have no daughters (yet...) but there are things that girl scouts does that we don't agree with. DH is the one who is really thing about it and Girl Scouts is a flat out no in his eyes. AHG isn't perfect in my eyes but neither is the Girl Scouts. I know that there are only a hand ful of AHG units, so I think we will most likely end up going with 4-H. but since there are no girls yet we don't have to have things figured out yet.

Corie
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
DH is the one who is really thing about it and Girl Scouts is a flat out no in his eyes.

I'm curious as to why your DH is so adamantly against Girl Scouts.

vonfirmath
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Our church hosts an American Heritage girls troop and it seems really great. But we have no girls yet either. But I know, as a girl, *I* would have loved it.

AnnieW625
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm curious as to why your DH is so adamantly against Girl Scouts.

I was wondering the same thing.

maestramommy
12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
we have no daughters (yet...) but there are things that girl scouts does that we don't agree with. DH is the one who is really thing about it and Girl Scouts is a flat out no in his eyes. AHG isn't perfect in my eyes but neither is the Girl Scouts. I know that there are only a hand ful of AHG units, so I think we will most likely end up going with 4-H. but since there are no girls yet we don't have to have things figured out yet.

I'm not against GS per se, but the troops in my town seem so girly! I know troops vary according to leader, but when I look at the BS and the GS in our town, the activities they do seem so divided on gender lines :(. Dh's aunt is heavily into 4-H, and recommended that to us instead. We don't live in farming community though (she kinda does, still raises lambs each year), so could you tell me what 4-H is like for suburban or urban communities? Or maybe I will pm you so as not to hijack this thread (sorry!)

maestramommy
12-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Just found their statement of faith:

http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19322

After reading the section on purity, I think it is not in line with our family values, so we would probably not join this organization. Which is just as well because I see there are no troops in my state:p

Corie
12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Heritage_Girls) it was started when a Girl Scout troop did not approve of a lesbian being an approved Girl Scout leader.

I think you have a typo in your above post.

Per your link on wikipedia,

"The American Heritage Girls is a Christ-centered scouting organization founded in 1995 by Patti Garibay and other parents from West Chester, Ohio, who were unhappy that the Girl Scouts accepted lesbians as troop leaders, allowed girls to substitute another word more applicable to their belief for "God" in the promise, and allegedly banned prayer at meetings."

Just going by this statement alone is enough for me to know that
my daughter will not be joining an American Heritage Girls troop.
It looks like I made the right decision with Girl Scouts.

AnnieW625
12-21-2010, 07:22 PM
I think you have a typo in your above post.

Per your link on wikipedia,

"The American Heritage Girls is a Christ-centered scouting organization founded in 1995 by Patti Garibay and other parents from West Chester, Ohio, who were unhappy that the Girl Scouts accepted lesbians as troop leaders, allowed girls to substitute another word more applicable to their belief for "God" in the promise, and allegedly banned prayer at meetings."

Just going by this statement alone is enough for me to know that
my daughter will not be joining an American Heritage Girls troop.
It looks like I made the right decision with Girl Scouts.

Thank you for that. I just wrote what I read in my own words, but now as I see the mistake.

MissyAg94
12-21-2010, 07:31 PM
I had never heard of AHG but it looks like something we'd try. I had a very bad experience with Girl Scouts as a child so my DD definitely won't be involved with that organization.

ha98ed14
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I look at it this way:

No matter what you think about someone being G/L/B/T/Q, people who identify with these labels are part of society, and your children will encounter someone who identifies as such in their lifetime. How are they going to react? Will they run screaming from the room if a coworker or neighbor happens to be GLBTQ? You don't get to choose who you meet in a day, so best learn to be tolerant of people's differences. You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to treat other people with respect because they are fellow human beings.