PDA

View Full Version : Ugh- we need a new fridge- any recs and deals?

pinkflamingo
12-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Our fridge is dying a slow painful death. Any ideas of when to buy a fridge (now or after Xmas/January) and where to find reviews? ANy ideas of any deals? Thanks! I am totally clueless on where to start!

sewarsh
12-20-2010, 08:37 PM
B&N (& probaly all book stores) is selling the Winter Consumer Reports magazine for Kitchens with loads of fridge reviews. We just bought it. Its about $7 but I had a coupon for 50% off the magazine that was emailed to me (don't have it anymore) but it did expire in January so you can probably find it online.

liz
12-20-2010, 09:47 PM
We bought a new fridge a few months ago. We had great luck using Consumer Reports and buying our fridge at Lowe's. Tip: if you find a fridge you like at Lowes, ask if they can give you any discounts- our salesperson gave us an extra 10%, no problem. Also, Lowes has free delivery and disposal- at Sears, you have to fill out a rebate form. hth

ohsara430
12-20-2010, 11:00 PM
We bought a new fridge back in September. We bought a Samsung at Lowes. It's this one.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_310039-149-RFG298AARS_4294857973__?productId=3066665&Ntt=french&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Refrigerators_4294857973__s%3FNtt %3Dfrench

We shopped around immensely for it. Narrow down the style (side by side, french door, standard) and size you want and then figure out which brands you are interested in. Definitely look at lowes.com, bestbuy.com, and sears.com for customer reviews as well as looking at consumer reports.

From there you can start price comparing between stores although you have to watch closely because many stores carry different model numbers for essentially the same product. It will have one little feature that's different. For instance the Samsung we bought at Lowes has an extra icemaker that the models at other retailers don't have. We purchased from Lowes because they price matched the model at Sears (since we didn't care about the extra icemaker) & you don't have to pay for delivery, Sears requires you fill out a rebate which is annoying.

I just looked and Lowes currently has 20% off Samsung appliances. We've been very happy with ours.

vludmilla
12-20-2010, 11:14 PM
We bought a Samsung french door stainless fridge from Sears for about $1700 on sale but it has gone as low as $1500 at times. The model we got has no ice maker in the door and I preferred that. We have filtered water dispenser in the fridge and an ice maker in the freezer drawer. We LOVE the fridge. It is super quiet, works well and is enormous. I never have any problem fitting everything I need in it. I even got rid of the spare fridge as we didn't really need it anymore. Our model was also a CR best buy and I couldn't find anyone who wrote a bad review of it. I think it was RF266.

sewarsh
12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
we got this one last week:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/KitchenAid+-+Architect+II+19.9+Cu.+Ft.+Counter-Depth+French+Door+Refrigerator+-+Stainless-Steel/9037605.p?id=1218011392697&skuId=9037605

i really wanted a samsung. i like the way the drawers pull out better (on wheels) and i love the way the freezer door opens as well (can't describe, but you'll know what i mean). also LOVE the LED lighting.

Unfortuantely due to our measurements, in order to get a cabinet depth we had to go Kitchenaid or Whirlpool. Its a really nice refridgerator, but upset that the veggie/fruit drawers don't glide, but the freezer drawers adn deli drawer do. annoying.

BeachBum
12-21-2010, 08:02 AM
We recently bought the one with the refrigerator counter height drawer. I LOVE it. It was an expensive fridge though.

If you are looking for a cheaper frig, try looking at Sears outlet. They have a gazillion scratch and dent (often on the side hidden by the wall) bargains. There are many high end options as well as those that were more budget friendly to start with.

essnce629
12-21-2010, 08:13 AM
We just got a Samsung French Door fridge that I love, but we have to return it since it doesn't fit in the space (even though we measured it several times and were positive it would fit). We got it on sale at Best Buy. I liked reading the info on Consumer Search about fridges (plus all the actual consumer reviews on BestBuy.com and Sears.com).

Consumer Search Fridge summary
http://www.consumersearch.com/refrigerators