PDA

View Full Version : Need advise-stroller selection

golightly1118
12-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Well, after strolling with my baby for a few months now, I think I need a second stroller. Currently I have a Mac Triumph and a Joovy jogger, and I feel like Goldilocks when it comes to everyday strolling-Mac is too small, Joovy is too big! Since you ladies are the experts, I'm hoping you can help! Here's what I'm looking for:

-Light weight-preferably nothing over 15 pounds, although 20 is the deal-breaker point. I live in the 'burbs and drive most places.
-Decent basket size-this is my biggest pet peeve with my Triumph. I don't expect to be able to fit the kitchen sink under there, but it would be nice to be able to fit a medium-size diaper bag.
-Smooth steering-I've gotten spoiled to my Mac's steering, and I'm not willing to give that up (I hated driving the Snap n Go for this reason-and was very happy to switch over full-time when my DD turned six months old). Bonus points if the stroller can easily be steered one-handed, as I sometimes like to drink tea while walking, but this isn't a must-have.
-Doesn't have to have air or rubber tires, but needs to be able to negotiate sidewalks easily, as a lot of my favorite strolling areas are outdoors with lots of people (hence the reason I can't just use the jogger-I'd be afraid of running over people).
-Large sun shade-this is my second biggest pet peeve with Mac. I tried the after-market Protect a Bub and think it looks ridiculous, need to see how much I can get for it on Ebay...Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker, as my DD has red hair and burns in five minutes flat.
-Looking ahead to kiddo number two, it would be great if the stroller could be compatible with a Chicco car seat and a toddler board-I'm hoping to avoid a double down the road, although I know that may not be possible.
-Would prefer to keep the price under $250, and I'm not a huge brand snob, but have no desire to own a Graco ect.-I'd like this stroller to be able to last through a second kiddo should we have one, not to mention Graco's cutesy fashion, for the most part, turns me off-the stroller may be a baby item, but I'm also seen in public with it, LoL!
-Quick edit-a more complete incline would be nice, so maybe my LO would actually nap in it if needed.

I think that's it! Hopefully y'all will have a few suggestions for me; so far I like the looks of the Cybex Callisto (would like the Topaz except for that pesky canopy issue), the Peg Si, and the BJCM (also like the looks of Al, but am realistic enough to see that he isn't my dream stroller). Thanks :)

roseyloxs
12-21-2010, 02:59 AM
You have a decent list going with the Callisto, BJCM and Si. The Callisto and BJCM will lack in the basket department but a diaper bag can be hung from the handles of either. I don' know much about the Si so I will let others comment on that but I will say the common complaint is a rickety feeling which I think would be annoying for walks outdoors.

Have you considered the First years indigo? Its reversible which is nice for young babies. I believe it has a decent basket but I think you might be disappointed with the canopy.

sweetsoul99
12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
all great stroller, but I think the si and Calisto might be too similar to your triumph....so I would go with the bjcm. great fold and super easy manuverability. The si is okay with one-handed steering, not near in the same class as the other two. The larger wheels would give you a better ride outdoors. It's not a great walking stroller, but would serve as a good in-be-tween stroller.

roseyloxs
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't think the Callisto would be similar to the triumph since it would be so much larger. Poohbear should weigh in though since she owns the triumph, ryder and BJCM. Although I think we all know she will advocate for the BJCM since its her workhorse darling.

I actually think the BJCM would fit very nicely with your other strollers but personally the stroller didn't work out for me. I was not a fan of the slouchy seat (even with cardboard) and I would kick the brake while walking occasionally.

poohbear
12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=roseyloxs;2970353]I don't think the Callisto would be similar to the triumph since it would be so much larger. Poohbear should weigh in though since she owns the triumph, ryder and BJCM. Although I think we all know she will advocate for the BJCM since its her workhorse darling.
[QUOTE]

:ROTFLMAO:
Honestly, yes, my BJCM is my workhorse darling. If you were to buy one, make sure you get a 2011 - it is more upright and way less slouchy than the earlier models. I have had both side by side and put DS in both and I noticed a significant difference. I would not advocate Albert for your situation. I do not have any experience with the Callisto, but you can get one for about $110 on Overstock right now, and I know people love them. The only thing is, it's still an umbrella stroller, so I'm not sure if it will truly solve the issues you have with the triumph (though it does have a better canopy, and it is heavier and cushier). I love the idea of the Swift, but it is heavier and far more expensive than the BJCM. I would look at the Si as well... And honestly, if you could find a decent used Bee on CL, I'd look at that too... (so there Rosey :wink2: )

Here's the thing with the BJCM and why it is my workhorse in spite of my issues with it (quality issues with my particular stroller, even though CS is great, jack of all trades, master of none) It doesn't push as well as my BOB, it isn't as snazzy as Albert Thurston or as light and easy to travel with as the triumph, but it is a great stroller for a decent price - it is solid, offers a great push for a non-AT stroller, has an amazing canopy, full recline, ridiculously easy compact fold, and weighs 17 lbs. And it's not tippy. At all. So I overlook it's shortcomings, and it becomes my go to stroller... Feel free to PM me if you have any ?s...

roseyloxs
12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
(so there Rosey :wink2: )

:hug5: hehe. I still miss the BJCM somedays. I really wish I didn't kick it because I think my dd is old enough now that the seat wouldn't bother me so much. The fold is ridiculously awesome and the wheels come off so easy that it was a great stroller to use even with my parent's sedans.

jerry_mishkata
12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
UppaBaby g-luxe is similar to a Mac but the basket is slightly bigger and more easily accessible. I used an ErgoBaby backpack as a diaper bag and it is pretty large and it fits perfectly in the basket.

It also has a much bigger sunshade than the Macs because of the pop-out visor. Also the sun shade can be un-velcroed at the back and pulled down so as to block the sun from any direction.

Also it is lighter, 11 lb. It is easy to fold and stands when folded. Wheels are slightly bigger than a quest and can be locked in forward position.

purpelina
12-21-2010, 09:59 PM
poohbear, isn't 2011 bjcm with all these small changes a bit heavier than older models? I was at the store the other day, and was showing off the fold to someone (who asked my advice about a cool stroller they might have overlooked :)) - so I lifted it by the handle, and it felt kinda heavy. I picked up a bee plus afterwards, and it felt tad lighter...
it all can be my disturbed perception of things, of course.

In any case, bjcm IS a great stroller with amazing fold, and it still IS lightweight - especially for what it offers.

Beth24
12-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Duplicate post sorry. Bad internet connection.

Beth24
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I have an Si that I keep in my car so I thought I would give you info on that. It weighs about 16/17 pounds, has a full recline, large comfy seat, large basket, huge canopy and 4 large rubber wheels. The fold is super easy and i do push the stroller one handed, although I think the BJCM's push may be better. I don't feel it is rickety at all--the handles are plasticky so I think that may be why some people feel the stroller is rickety. The handles are on top of a hard metal frame though so overall the stroller feels very stable to me. I use it on longish walks at an outdoor shopping area near my home with bumpy sidewalks and it does great. It also takes any infant car seat using straps attached to the frame You can get the 2010 on sale at Diapers.com right now for $200 which is 20% off retail and try it out if you'd like. Gotta love those free returns! LMK if you have any more questions.

poohbear
12-22-2010, 11:48 AM
poohbear, isn't 2011 bjcm with all these small changes a bit heavier than older models? I was at the store the other day, and was showing off the fold to someone (who asked my advice about a cool stroller they might have overlooked :)) - so I lifted it by the handle, and it felt kinda heavy. I picked up a bee plus afterwards, and it felt tad lighter...
it all can be my disturbed perception of things, of course.

In any case, bjcm IS a great stroller with amazing fold, and it still IS lightweight - especially for what it offers.

If it is, I didn't notice it, so I'd say negligible, (to me it still feels "light" for what it is) - the frame is the same, so the only weight difference I could foresee would be the pe board... I'm out of town, but I can check when I get home (my friend lives down the street), but that won't be until after the first of the year...

Like I always say, BJCM is vanilla ice cream. I'll go for something exciting from time to time, but vanilla is always the reliable one in the freezer...

golightly1118
12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for your input, guys! I think I'm going to sit on it for a bit before pulling the trigger (see my post over in the Bitching Post for details) but it looks like the BJCM may be my best bet. I went to BBB yesterday and played with that one and the Si, and it won hands down. Plus I love the new purple color, so I'd have to wait a bit anyway!

purpelina
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
If it is, I didn't notice it, so I'd say negligible, (to me it still feels "light" for what it is) - the frame is the same, so the only weight difference I could foresee would be the pe board... I'm out of town, but I can check when I get home (my friend lives down the street), but that won't be until after the first of the year...

Like I always say, BJCM is vanilla ice cream. I'll go for something exciting from time to time, but vanilla is always the reliable one in the freezer...
Thanks pooh!
I love your analogy with ice cream :) Should we start a new thread where we can compare all strollers with different ice cream options? Would bob be rocky road?:wink2: