PDA

View Full Version : TFK Twinner Twist Duo

Bootsie
12-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Anyone have this sbs double stroller? I could only find older posts and/or reviews online (some from a time when the stroller seems to have been wider -- TFK's website lists 28 inches as the width -- and heavier). Pros/cons? I have twins and will be looking to ditch my double snap n go soon.

roseyloxs
12-21-2010, 03:01 AM
video review (http://www.babygizmo.com/media/video_tfktwinnertwistduo.php)

legaleagle
12-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I dunno, it looks ok (study and all that) but the fold is kind of a nightmare and it doesn't seem worth the $100 premium from other all terrain doubles. What is particularly attractive about this one to you? Which other ones have you looked at?

Bootsie
12-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, in part I wondered what the manufacturer thought made it worth the extra $.

But there are some things that appealed to me. I should say first that the TFK video is a bit different (newer?) than the Babygizmo one. On the TFK video, the footprint of the stroller when folded looked good and the TFK rep said that it folded so that the stroller (which looks like an AT) would fit into the back of any midsized sedan. Trunk space is a huge issue for me. I'd like to get a sbs at with a pretty decent basket and we travel out of town where we'd need to bring the stroller and some other stuff.

The fold (at least on the TFK video) looked about the same as what is required for the Bumbleride Indie Twin (which is my front runner right now).

I liked the hand disc brakes - because it is hilly where I will be neighborhood walking and I'm assuming going downhill once the LOs gain weight becomes tricky.

purpelina
12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Looks like a cool stroller with nice features. I like that it has two wheels in the front . I don't like 4 zippers for a recline! For twins it makes 8 !!! Too time consuming. Plus I always need to take off my gloves when zipping stuff, I would freeze to death and have horrible skin on hands - but that's me.
Fold is not complicated but all these extra steps add up to too much time. With twins you are twice as time pressesd as with one infant, and that would be a concern to me.

legaleagle
12-21-2010, 08:04 PM
How about the valco trimode twin? Looks like it folds slightly smaller than the twinner twist duo and is about the same weight. I have a valco latitude and the recline is super super easy and the canopies are humongous. Zipper reclines are a PITB if you use them frequently (I have strollers with zipper reclines but my kids aren't stroller nappers so not really an issue.

Actually, I just watched the baby gizmo review of the valco and it looks like the frame is almost identical - the fold look identical. I know there is some sort of connection between valco and tfk so maybe they're made in the same factory or something. http://www.youtube.com/user/BabyGizmoCompany#p/u/22/72XUNVUcAbU

The indie twin is a gorgeous stroller - a friend of mine has it. Both Valco and Bumbleride have top notch customer service too.

Bootsie
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the input on the zipper reclines. I didn't think about this (my only stroller being a snap n go frame, I haven't had a chance to use such a function and so I wasn't thinking about whether it would be a PITA and time consuming). This is a great point.

Are Valcos really heavy? I'm off to look at info about the Valco :) Also still considering the Bumbleride Indie Twin.

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 01:17 AM
That's funny you both mentioned the valco and bumbleride because I was thinking as I was watching that it looked like a hybrid of the two strollers to me. The bumbleride fold with valco looks. The basket on the indie is much larger and there is no bar in the way so you can fit just about everything in there. A size 4 soccer ball fully pumped up just barely doesn't fit. The ball lost some air this winter and now fits in the basket no problem. So that should give you an idea about access to the bumbleride basket.

I have the indie twin so if you have any specific questions about that one I can try and help you out.

Bootsie
12-22-2010, 06:33 AM
You have the Indie Twin? Do you use it in and out of the car/van/suv at all? If so, what kind of car do you have and how much cargo space does it take up? Can you fit the stroller and groceries in the cargo space?

Also, how old are your LOs? I read one post about the Bumbleride Indie Twin that complained that the owner wished the seats got a little more upright. Have you felt that way?

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
You have the Indie Twin? Do you use it in and out of the car/van/suv at all?

Yes. No, it has been in the car only a handful of times in the last 18 months of use.

If so, what kind of car do you have and how much cargo space does it take up? Can you fit the stroller and groceries in the cargo space?

I drive a CRV. I believe groceries and the stroller would fit. If I have time later today I will try and take a picture of my indie in the trunk. We also have a cavalier so I can see if it fits in there too but I will have to wait until the hubby gets home for work.

Also, how old are your LOs? I read one post about the Bumbleride Indie Twin that complained that the owner wished the seats got a little more upright. Have you felt that way?

My kids are 3.75 and 1.5. I have owned the stroller since my daughter was a newborn. The seats are plenty upright for my kids. It has a strap recline. The most upright position takes a bit of work and has to be done without a kid resting resting on the seat. The seat is reinforced so its very firm, not at all hammocky like jogger seats.

Bootsie
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Roseylox,

Thanks so much. This is really helpful for me.

legaleagle
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
You know, the more I think about this, if you have $800 to spend on strollers, why not get this bj summit xc for $381 http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=25085 for outside and a BJCMD or valco latitude double for the car.

The summit xc is wide but has a handbrake - someone just did a rave review of it

The BJCMD is beloved around here, I just did a review of the latitude (which is more expensive but has more included accessories and is relatively easy to find a 10-20% discount on).

Bootsie
12-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm off to take a look at these, thanks! The Summit might be a little too heavy for me. Whatever AT I get, even if it is not my "car stroller", I have to be able to lug it down some steps from our front porch (our back porch also has steps). I think I can test a Summit at Buy Buy Baby.

WatchingThemGrow
12-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I think with twins you will really want to have a lightweight double you keep in your car (BJCMD) and something else for outdoors - that stays outdoors. Trying to take a double down a few steps THEN set up DC in it is a pain. I've done it.

Our do-it-all stroller has been the BJ City Elite Double, and it (with our CRV) has been fine for an everyday stroller, fine for putting groceries next to it, fine for having room for a car potty and a child maneuvering around it. I personally would be a little scared buying a stroller so new. Or has this one been out somewhere else for a while?

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm off to take a look at these, thanks! The Summit might be a little too heavy for me. Whatever AT I get, even if it is not my "car stroller", I have to be able to lug it down some steps from our front porch (our back porch also has steps). I think I can test a Summit at Buy Buy Baby.

You don't have to lift it up or down stairs. You can bump the stroller down the stairs and pull it backwards up the stairs. I think 2 strollers is a great idea for twins. Although its possible to use an AT in the car I think the BJCMD would make your life easier. To skip the stairs all together do you have a shed or garage you could keep the stroller in instead?

Bootsie
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Yes, I absolutely think that I will probably need two strollers. I think I need one stroller (something like the BJCMD) that is easier to lift and fold. But my AT stroller will need to be able to go in the car from time to time. The local park is a car ride and things like the zoo, etc., where the terrain is bumpy, are all car rides.

I wish the BJCMD had a better basket! I guess this is always the problem. Strollers that are more lightweight, with easy folds (sort of like umbrella strollers) don't seem to have very roomy baskets. The thing is - malls and shopping are the very times I'd be using the BJCMD and the very time I'd need a good basket most. Do stroller clips really address this problem? Will a double diaper bag (I have a Skip Hop Duo) even fit in the BJCMD's basket?

No shed or garage to keep the stroller in. I've had this same problem with the double snap n go (although it is lightweight). I've had to carry it down the stairs and then put the LOs in it. I need to measure the width of my porch steps -- this is tough to explain, but a sort of stone wall goes along the side of them -- if it is narrower than whatever AT sbs I contemplate getting, that could be a problem. I'd always have to carry it down folded. Ugh! Why didn't I think of some of these things when we got this house?

Re: the TFK stroller, I don't think it is new. It has been sold in Europe for a while. It is only more recently being sold in the US. But I thought maybe it has been sold here since 2008 (I thought the babygizmo video was that old).
I'm not sure there is any place where I live that I can test it and without some really great reviews from people I who own it, and considering the price tag, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable getting it.

roseyloxs
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Have you seen the Stroll-Air My Duo (http://www.ratedbymom.com/2010/03/spotlight-product-review-stroll-air-my-duo-stroller/)? Its 29" wide. It comes with foam tires but according to their facebook page there are air tires available now if that's important to you.

twowhat?
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
We have 2yo twins.

We have a BJCED that stays out and unfolded for neighborhood walks. We just leave it in the entryway inside the house.

And a BJCMD as our car stroller. The BJCMD is a seriously awesome car stroller. So light and easy to fold. I was at a loss this weekend when we were about to go for a walk in the BJCED and one of the girls asked to ride in the "orange stroller" (BJCMD) instead. Stroller hooks would absolutely work. We can hang a pretty heavy diaper bag on the handle without any tipping.

I like the BJCED but if you're going to get one that stays unfolded, I'd vote for one with a bit higher quality (MB, Valco, maybe even the Bumbleride) and with the features that you need (like the hand brake).

Bootsie
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Gosh, thanks. You guys are the best. Lots of options. It is certainly sounding like the BJCMD is a strong contender for one of the strollers.

roseyloxs
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I can't find my camera so I had to use my husband's SLR but I have no idea where he keeps his card reader.

So how wide are your front steps? Are all doubles too wide? If that is the case I might just get that BJ Summit that is on sale. Its a great price, comes with the handbrake, tall enough for big kids, and the big back wheels will make for a great ride anywhere you go.

Bootsie
12-24-2010, 05:54 AM
I eyeballed the stairs today without measuring and I"m thinking it will not be a problem. I think any SBS would probably fit down them.

roseyloxs
12-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Pictures (http://picasaweb.google.com/roseyloxs/IndieTwin?feat=directlink)

Above is the link to my indie twin album. I included a couple photos of the stroller in the trunk. My son also got some dirt on the seagrass seat while climbing in the other day so there is a close-up of that.

Bootsie
12-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Roseylox,

Thank you, thank you! Gosh, I LOVE your Indie. That is my favorite color combo too. And you have PLENTY of space in the trunk with it folded. What year CRV do you have?

roseyloxs
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
It's a 2007. Which is the newer design.