PDA

View Full Version : S/O What has been your biggest lost item found?

goldenpig
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
What has been the most valuable ($ or sentimental) item you found that you thought was gone forever? And what has been your biggest decluttering find? I was happy to have found a wad of cash recently that I lost a long time ago. But I know some of you have even found lost wedding rings!

vludmilla
12-21-2010, 01:05 PM
diamond earrings-- I really thought they were completely gone for about a year. It bothered me so much that there were times when I would wake up in the middle of the night. I felt like such a schmuck for losing them. I found them one day when I wore a long wool skirt to work that I hadn't worn in a year and stuck my hand in the pocket only to find the earrings in the pocket.

egoldber
12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
I recently found the spare key to DH's car that had been missing for over a year! I found it in a bag of bags in our MBR closet. :o I am just grateful I looked through the bag before just tossing it, which was my first impulse! It would have cost $150 to get a replacement!

elektra
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
DS social security card. I was looking for it this time last year as we needed his SS # for taxes. I looked everywhere for that thing- through every folder I would have put it in. I had to go to the SS office, and get all the forms filled out- it was a huge PITA.
Well DH's dad gave him a good amount of money in cash- paying him back for some tool he purchased online, and so DH stuck it in some random empty, unlabeled folder in the filing cabinet. Well it must have been his super secret spot because when I went in to grab some cash, DS's card was in there!
Phew! I was worried that it had gotten into the wrong hands.

tiapam
12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I have only found about $20 in a purse or wallet I got for Christmas. It was money I got as a Christmas gift the same year.

I gave my mom a gold chain a few years ago and when she died me and my sibs agreed we could take any present we had given her. It has not turned up and I am still bummed but hopeful. That would be a big sentimental one for me if ever found.

kijip
12-28-2010, 02:52 AM
I found a fat wad of cash once as well.

My wedding set- 1 carat diamond band, 3/4 carat solitaire.

My mother's christmas tree ornaments which went missing in the garage for a bit.

mezzona
12-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I once left my iPhone in the library. Thank goodness for Find My Phone! And some good soul turned it in to lost and found.

veronica
12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
My engagement and wedding rings........lost on our 11 year anniversary of the day we got engaged. I was devasted. they are insured and we waited and waited, tore the house up and down. We called our jewelers (they were custom designed) and started to get the ball rollling on doing the claim for new ones.

Then, 6 weeks later, I took a pair of shorts out, that I rarely wear , and they were in the pocket and flew to the ground. I never cried so hard in my life. I can't express the sadness that filled me the entire time they were gone.

ShanaMama
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Interesting thread. I need to move my bed because I know there are a whole host of things hiding under there. (I hope DD2's lost Lands End booty that was worn approximately once will turn up there!)
DH once misplaced a large amount of cash right before we went on vacation. He could not relax the entire vacation because it was his business' money & he'd have to pay it back out of pocket. When we finally came home I found the pants he had been wearing neatly folded on a shelf with the cash in the pocket. I have never before or since put pants on a shelf, but I guess I was straightening up as we were rushing out & I just didn't want to leave them out on the bed. He's lucky I didn't throw them in the laundry.

american_mama
12-30-2010, 01:04 AM
DD2's passport and birth certificate, along with my passport, especially important since she was born overseas and I couldn't get a replacement from the State Department without one of the three items.

I'd already fudged it to get her enrolled in two different preschools without the right documentation, but knew that wouldn't fly with kindergarten registration. I started looking a year in advance, finally decided to get replacements, only to discover that my missing passport meant I couldn't prove much of anything. Sat on it for a bit and eventually discovered them on my desk along with a large stack of blind samples. The size, shape, and thickness of the envelope for the passport was the same as for the blind samples.

Phew!