PDA

View Full Version : Back from vacation - Avenue barely fit in bulkhead row!

L'sMommy
12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
This was the first time DS had his own seat for a plane trip (5 hr ride). We got the bulkhead on both flights to and from, and the Avenue barely fit in the middle seat FF. Is this comman? Once we got the 2 "edges" (the side wings, not sure how to explain it) of the seat between the arm rests (which I don't know how DH managed to do because the seat seemed an inch too wide), DH basically had to sit on the carseat, and bounce up and down a few times to get it to wedge in. I seriously thought we were going to break the armrest on the plane when DH was forcing it in. We were on a Boeing 757 and 737 - had problems with bulkhead both times. I'm curious if this is a known issue with bulkheads or whether we were doing something incorrectly while trying to install it.

o_mom
12-22-2010, 10:48 PM
It is common on bulkheads for the armrests to be wider than normal to store the tray tables. They also usually do not move. Those things can make it harder to fit a child seat in there. The next time, ask to try it in a non-bulkhead seat. The airline must accomodate you if your car seat will not work in the assigned seat but they have a comparable seat available for you to switch (so in the same class of seating, they won't move you to first class).

Personally, I don't like bulkhead for flying with kids as you cannot reach your carry-ons when the seatbelt sign is on. Much better to have access to all the distractions if you can't get up.

L'sMommy
12-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Ok, good to know about bulkhead. We prefer bulkhead whenever we travel.....is there a car seat that is an inch or two narrower than the Avenue? Or is the avenue the narrowest FAA approved seat? We would consider getting another seat so that we can use it more easily in bulkhead.

JBaxter
12-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Sunshine radian is really narrow. We have never flown the bulk head because of the storage issues but I do know we like using the tray table with the radian.

mom2binsd
12-28-2010, 02:35 AM
Did I understand it was in the middle seat, my understanding was that the carseat has to be installed in the window seat....did the flight attendant say anything about that??? Not sure if the window seat would have had any more room, but most who travel with carseats prefer not to have bulkhead seats for the reasons others have stated.

JBaxter
12-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Did I understand it was in the middle seat, my understanding was that the carseat has to be installed in the window seat....did the flight attendant say anything about that??? Not sure if the window seat would have had any more room, but most who travel with carseats prefer not to have bulkhead seats for the reasons others have stated.

I think the window position does not apply in the bulkhead seats you can walk in front of the seat and it does not block access

christiedavid3
12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
We flew with our Uptown (same shell as Avenue) this past summer. One leg of the flight was in bulkhead. I had to shimmy the seat a little to make it fit, but I got it in there without too much force. In the plane we were in (sorry, can't remember what it was now), there was actually a spot to stow our carryons on the floor in front of us. It worked out really well.