PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Play-doh recipe (and question)

infomama
12-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Post your favorite homemade play-doh recipe please! I have been making the one with boiling water and kool aid and it's good but I would love to make some with super vibrant colors (kool aid isn't super vibrant).

Also...does cooked play-doh really have a better texture than play-doh made with boiling water?

DietCokeLover
12-22-2010, 11:06 PM
This is not a colorful recipe, but it is a holiday appropriate one. I made this for DD's preschool class for gifts and tied it in a cute bag with a Christmas cookie cutter.

Gingerbread Playdough

Basic Playdough Recipe:
MIX: 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. salt, 1 T cooking oil, 1 T. cream of tartar, 1 c. water
MAKE IT YOUR WAY: add color, or 1 t. of flavor (peppermint, vanilla, lavender, whatever..), or in the case of gingerbread-1 T. of cinnamon, 1 t. of allspice, 1 t. of cloves...whatever spices you want until you have the scent you want.
PROCESS: Mix all the ingredients, the place them in a pot, heat at medium, and stir constantly until the wet liquid dries and pulls away from the pan (this takes about a minute). Pop it out of the pan, and knead with your hands until smooth. If it's still sticky, add some flour.

ETA: It smells WONDERFUL!!!!

larig
12-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Here are a bunch that we have from our coop preschool (one of our parents' job is to make our own for school). We use the one with the cream of tartar.

http://dept.seattlecolleges.com/homelife/preschoolrecipes.htm

ETA: one of teachers told us a story about a parent who didn't know what cream of tartar was and used tartar sauce. She couldn't figure out why her playdough never came out right!

ohiomom1121
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Here are a bunch that we have from our coop preschool (one of our parents' job is to make our own for school). We use the one with the cream of tartar.

http://dept.seattlecolleges.com/homelife/preschoolrecipes.htm

ETA: one of teachers told us a story about a parent who didn't know what cream of tartar was and used tartar sauce. She couldn't figure out why her playdough never came out right!
We use that one too...it's a nice texture. Hilarious about the tartar sauce!!

infomama
12-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try to cooked version from the pre school list (and I must make the gingerbread one, too!).