PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Registering Please!

Rio girl
12-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Hello,

I'm expecting twin boys! These are my first.:) I need help with what to register for. I went to Babies R Us and they gave me the "Twin" list and I got so overwhelmed!! I would love to know what the necessities and "must haves" are. Please help.:)

Thanks so much!;)

twowhat?
12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Ignore the "twin list" that you got! Throw it AWAY!!

For sure you will need:

crib/co-sleeper/bassinet. One or two, depending on if you want your twins to share a bed. Ours shared a bed for the first few months.

infant car seats, 2 of them

stroller (or double snap-n-go, which is "controversial" because of the whole leaving babies in car seats too long thing...but I think for parents of twins, it's a must-have. We were only able to get out for quick trips like grocery store. The double snap n go will get you through the first few months)

Baby bathtub. Just one. You can only safely bathe one baby at a time for now

Changing table or pad: Just one unless you have a 2-story home and want a setup on each floor

2 bouncy chairs, different ones for different stimulation

Maybe a swing but if you do, just get one. Some babies don't like them

Carrier or wrap. Get 2 for when you and DH can wear them.

Twin breastfeeding pillow if you plan to breastfeed (even if you bottle-feed this can be used), and Lansinoh if you plan to breastfeed.

Playmat for tummy time. Just one but some like to have 2 different ones, or one large one.

Mild baby wash and a good lotion (like Cerave or Vanicream or similar)

Thermometer (rectal)

Saline

Diaper rash cream

Wait to buy:

Clothes - you'll get lots as gifts

High chairs. Babies will be drinking breastmilk/formula for at least 4 months. By then you will have a better idea of what will work in your house.

Burp cloths (cloth diapers work best) - wait to see if you get any as gifts

Baby bath towels - you might get as gifts

Search this forum - this question has been asked a lot and I am only thinking off the top of my head.

Congratulations!!

Rio girl
12-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Thank you so much for the reply!:)

What about Cribs? We were going to get 2 by Baby Cadence from Wal Mart.
Any suggestions? I'm dying to decorate the nursery.

Also, I was going to register for a double pack n play that comes with 2 bassinets since we have a two story house. Would you recommend that too?

Thanks again,
Rio Girl ;)

TwinFoxes
12-23-2010, 10:45 PM
instead of the pack n play, I would get the original (larger) Arm's Reach Co-sleeper (http://www.armsreach.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=cPath=cPath=3_18_1). The weight limit is higher, so twins can use it longer than a pack and play. I also think it looks cooler, but that's a style thing. :)

Our babies came very early, so what we bought is kind of a blur. We needed lots and lots of burp cloths. :) And sheets. And bottles, even though I breast fed.

Register for the "Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD. We used it, and our girls are very good sleepers (I say as I hear one of them up giggling!) Along those same lines, I recommend the Halo sleep-sacks with swaddle.

I agree, do a search on the board, there are great ideas of must haves, as well as avoids. Some things are personal taste, like I hated the "My Breast Friend" nursing pillow that other twin mommies seem to love. I much preferred the regular old Boppy.

twowhat?
12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
We intended on letting the twins sleep in our room for the first 2-3 months but then wanted them in their own room as soon as we got down to fewer feedings at night. We ended up buying 2 pack n plays and putting them both in the bassinet until their combined weights hit the limit (15 pounds), then we moved them into separate P&P bassinets, but right next to each other, then we moved them into their shared room in their own cribs. It worked out well for us, and we still use the P&Ps to separate them during naps (for some reason they do NOT nap well in the same room and when one insists on napping in the P&P, the other also wants to sleep in a P&P so we put them both in P&Ps in separate rooms). If you have a 2-story house, that's a good reason to have 2 P&Ps because it makes it easy to always have a safe, easily moveable place to put a baby on each floor. And with twins, the key is to always have a safe place to put one baby while you tend to the other baby.

The arms reach co-sleeper will allow you to keep them together in the same bed for much longer because of the higher weight limit so consider this if you want them to share for longer.

I wouldn't recommend the double P&P with the double bassinet - I heard that it's so large that the bassinet part sort of sags in the middle, and swaddled babies tend to just roll towards the middle into each other. I can totally see how that would be the case, based on the somewhat hammock-y effect of the bassinet in the regular P&P. Definitely choose the arm's reach over this.

As for cribs, personal taste has a lot to do with it. For us, we wanted cheap, minimal styling, and solid. The IKEA cribs fit the bill, especially since we needed to fit them both into a small 10 by 11 ft room. The IKEA cribs are standard size but have a smaller footprint because of the minimalist design. So, they worked out great for us (still using them!). Search the forums for recommendations on cribs, it will also depend on your price range.

Agree with PP that personal taste has a lot to do with the things we chose! I guess I would say that in general, you can always buy later - it's impossible to really see how your life changes with twins and to predict what choices you will make as they grow. So, I would start with the absolute necessities (like car seats, very basic stroller or stroller frame, lots of burp cloths, P&P/co-sleeper/crib, bottles (agree that you will probably want some on hand even if you breastfeed), etc. Leave any large gear purchases (like a nice side-by-side double stroller, high chairs - you may end up deciding not to use high chairs at all since they are fabulous boosters out there) for later.