PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick an umbrella stroller

adler
12-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi!
You all helped me choose my very much loved Swift :)
but I am looking into a lightweight umbrella option for travelling and PT.

I need:
*one-hand fold (will not budge on this one--I need it for PT)
*narrow--i.e., a typical stroller and not a BJ one)
*lightweight--the lighter the better.
*good canopy

I will be using it on uneven sidewalks and it would obviously be nice for it to have a good push, but I really just need something decent. I have the swift for when I need the real thing.

I also want to stay under $100, preferably more like 60, but I guess it will depend on what the stroller offers ;)

Any idease? thanks!

Tigerlily81
12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
A Chicco Capri may be a good fit, I think they are in that price range.

blondflava
12-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Have you looked into the Cybex? I think Callisto (not that lightweight but not tippy, rotating canopy, great harness, recline, legrest AND suspension) would be good (or Topaz, a step down from Callisto). They can be had for a little over 100 from overstock if you have the 10 % off coupon. I have a Quest and kind of wish I got the Cybex instead..
Otherwise, it'd be difficult for the features to be found in a 100 dollar stroller.

roseyloxs
12-23-2010, 04:15 PM
The cybex oynx is 15lbs and $77 at overstock right now (purple only)
The cybex topaz is 17lbs and $80 at overstock in indigo which is black with indigo accents.
The callisto weighs almost as much as the swift but has the best push since its a one bar handle and its $120 at overstock.

I think the oynx is your best option for PT. It has the carry strap which should make carrying it easier. If you don't want purple the 2010s have started making the rounds on the deal sites.

legaleagle
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
The callisto and topaz are really heavy though, 18 and 16.5 lbs and the fold is a little tricky. I'd look at the uppababy g-lite - it's not technically a one hand fold but it's very easy to do with a baby in one arm (just lift two little latches on the handlebars, no foot action needed so you're not having to balance everyone on one foot), it's super light (9? lbs) and has a standing fold and a carry strap. A friend of mine got one specifically to use for commuting on the DC Metro and loves it (has a BJCE for her other stroller).

arivecchi
12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I have an 06 Maclaren Triumph which has a rotating canopy and would fit your requirements. I think only 06 and 07 Triumphs have this feature. Maybe you can find one on ebay.

jacksmoma
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
that's a tight budget- i'd go with a mac just b/c they hold up over time well- maybe a triumph? it's 12 lbs so pretty light. i don't know how much you'll like the push on a mac compared to the swift- very different. good luck on your search!

crl
12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I like my Cybex Onyx, but it is not an easy or one handed fold for me. You have to push in with one foot and pull up on the carrying strap at the same time, then you have to push down on a different lever with your foot. And you can't fold it with the brakes on so I need one hand to hold the stroller in place while I push in with my foot and the other hand to simultaneously pull up on the carrying strap. It folds to the ground so you then have to bend over to pick it up.

It has a decent but not great canopy, IMO. And I think it is on the heavy side for an umbrella at 15.5 pounds.

So, I would not suggest it for you, though I really like mine and the Overstock ones are a great price for a good quality umbrella stroller with a lot of nice features (flat recline, leg rest, etc).

Catherine

tarnator
12-23-2010, 07:50 PM
I am looking for exactly the same features that you want. Except that I am happy to go a little higher in price to get what I want!

I have been hesitating on the overstock cybexes because of the weight. I have a UB g-lite myself and I LOVE it because it is so light. I only wish that it had recline. So I might look at the g-luxe for that and find out how those weigh in comparison to the full service Cybex....

Weight vs. features..... :)

jerry_mishkata
12-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately the g-luxe is more expensive but it does it -- it's canopy is not bad either with the sunvisors... I used to fold and unfold it one handed all the time when I was using it (with baby in the other). I wish it was not made even more expensive this year!

adler
12-24-2010, 08:30 AM
hmm...
anyone heard of this one: http://www.learningcurve.com/product/detail/Y11140?locale=en_US

poohbear
12-24-2010, 10:23 AM
A Chicco Capri may be a good fit, I think they are in that price range.

My friend has a Chicco Capri, which she loved, but now at 21 months, her toddler has basically outgrown it, so I woudn't do one long term.... I would look at the Cybexes or the Inglesina Swift. Sometimes they go as low as $80.
http://www.amazon.com/Inglesina-2010-Swift-Stroller-Ink/dp/B002SNAKC0

legaleagle
12-24-2010, 11:42 AM
That learning curve one is 19lbs.

How about this clearance peg perego aria? Not an umbrella but very light with one handed fold.

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=24713

Another color for $99 http://www.albeebaby.com/peg-perego-aria-oh-stroller-2008-tango.html

adler
12-26-2010, 06:11 AM
thanks for all the info and ideas!
Now I have a new idea--I don't have a snap'n'go or the car seat attachment for my Swift. Is there a lightish stroller with an easy fold that takes a car seat? If I could combine the 2 (I've been borrowing one from a friend whose baby is too big for it, but she's due in March so I'll have to give it back!), I would be willing to spend more $ on it... I'd much rather have the lighter one take a carseat than the swift because I want it to be a travel stroller, for both pt and plane travel. A lot of airlines are requiring carseats these days, so it would be important.

roseyloxs
12-26-2010, 12:07 PM
The cybex oynx takes a car seat. There is a $25 car seat adapter that is basically a seat belt that you would need to buy. I posted a picture of it in one of the other umbrella threads.

adler
12-26-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks! But from all the reviews, it sounds like it's hard to fold, and I'm also 5"3 and someone who's 5"7 said it was almost too tall for her, so that sounds bad...are there any others?

I see the peg aria takes one, but man those peg car seats are expensive! I was thinking more along the lines of a Graco...

purpelina
12-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I see the peg aria takes one, but man those peg car seats are expensive! I was thinking more along the lines of a Graco...

graco mosaic is a good option. It's not expensive, steering is decent, only thing is that canopy is small, and kinda pops off every time you fold the stroller, other than that it's a nice stroller, that takes graco car seat.

legaleagle
12-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I believe graco seats "unofficially" work with peg strollers. I know a friend of mine used her graco with the P3.

This seems to back that up: http://community.babycenter.com/post/a9684015/help-_car_seat_to_go_with_peg_perego_stroller

adler
12-26-2010, 03:53 PM
cool, thanks! they both look good. I'm going to check them out.