PDA

View Full Version : When to hit after Christmas sales?

ang79
12-24-2010, 12:02 AM
I want to try to get some extra Christmas lights for next year and DH is wanting some organizing containers for his Legos (notice I said his, not the kids!) and I thought maybe we can pick up some red and green containers after Christmas for cheap. Since Christmas is a Sat., should we hit up Target, Wal-Mart, etc. on Sunday? Which store normally has the best selection/deals?

TIA!

indigo99
12-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Kohls and JoAnns already had their Christmas merchandise marked way down before Christmas so I don't think they'll have anything left (if they do then it would be really cheap though).

Target usually has lots of rubbermaid containers on sale right after Christmas - not on clearance but a few dollars off since this is when everyone needs to buy them.

lilhilly
12-24-2010, 08:12 AM
IIRC, Target doesn't really discount the storage containers, even though they are in holiday colors. I would not be surprised, however, if lights were already on clearance there. Can you try to dredge up last year's Target clearance thread with a search? That would give you some sense of the timing of various markdowns (my recollection is 30% on Xmas Eve or thereabouts, 50% the day after Xmas, 75% maybe a week or so later, and 90% a week after that). I wouldn't expect lights to make it to 75 or 90, though.

jvs195
12-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I would check today also. I remember going day after last year looking for LED lights and they were all gone. I saw some Christmas Colored containers on sale at Target the other day. Depends if you want to risk not finding them to get a better deal or get them while they are there if you really want them.

ang79
12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Does Walmart clearance the red/green totes? I know I picked up a a bunch of red totes one year on clearance a few days after, just can't remember which store it was at!

keckert
12-24-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't think the stores are carrying a large inventory anymore, so the after Xmas sales aren't as good. I know my Kmart has been out of white LED lights for a week, my local Rite Aid had consolidated their Xmas stuff to one aisle with not much left. Target's lights were already 15% off yesterday.

I'm also hoping to score some new lights for next year, and hopefully an outdoor timer so I don't have to go outside at 10 pm to unplug the lights.

lchang25000
12-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Christmas items are not on clearance at my Target today except for the trees. Just went there.

mg1278
12-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Lights were 30% off at my Target yesterday, but other Christmas was not marked down. They also had some non-holiday color storage totes on sale for $5.

Twin Mom
12-24-2010, 03:08 PM
In the old days Target marked down the holiday storage containers 50% off with the rest of the holiday merchandise but in the last couple of years they stopped marking them down as low (same with the candy after Halloween). I think they might be 30% off instead. I know that's what the Halloween containers were this year and I think last year too.

littlebird
12-25-2010, 12:50 AM
For those of you who are looking for LED lights, I bought them for $1.99 a box at Home Depot on Black Friday this year. They had both multi-colored and white on sale. If you can't find any for a decent sale price after Christmas, just try remember to keep a lookout next Black Friday...I know easier said than done since that's 11 months from now!

jenstring95
12-25-2010, 12:25 PM
For those of you who are looking for LED lights, I bought them for $1.99 a box at Home Depot on Black Friday this year. They had both multi-colored and white on sale. If you can't find any for a decent sale price after Christmas, just try remember to keep a lookout next Black Friday...I know easier said than done since that's 11 months from now!

This year and last year Home Depot also did the light exchange program where you bring in your old lights and they give you a discount on the LED ones. I think it is usually early or mid November.

Elilly
12-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Just got back from Target and their storage totes were about $2-$5 off depending on the size. HTH.