PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best out of the worst times to go to Disney

gordo
12-24-2010, 09:39 PM
We are planning a trip to Disney next year with DD1 who will be 6 and DD2 who will be 3 depending on when we go. We have never been before. I work in a school, so unfortunately I can only go at Spring Break, Winter Break or summer. I may possibly be able to take a long weekend, but I then I was thinking that if we were going to go, we might as well try to go for at least 5 days.

Thoughts?

Momof3Labs
12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
If you give me the exact dates (here or PM), I can look them up on a crowd calendar (by subscription only).

Fairy
12-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Based on experience, my opinion is that the hotter the worse it is. I would never ever go in summer. Some people like it in summer cuz they can take full advantage of the water parks, etc. But me? No way. It's so hot that it's unbearable. Mix that with the crowd also tied to that time of year and no thank you. Nightmare.

If I had to pick a school-based time, then I'd probably go over Xmas, itself, if that's reasonable for you. I could be way off about when the crowd is worst, but I'm thinking more people will want to be home for Xmas than away, so that's your best bet if you're truly tied to that time and can't take the time off. It's also not hot, yay!

We went at the beginning of Spring Break season this yeawr, and it was realy crowded. I mean really packed. I did *not* like that crowd. On the other hand, at least it was good wx, 60's and 70's.

That's my take.

Now, if you ever do have this option, my favorite time is October or February for best wx and crowd combo.

Have a great time!

bnme
12-24-2010, 11:01 PM
The summer heat IS unbearable. But with that choice I'd pick the latest possible week in the summer. I think it would be less crowded then spring/winter break. And you could not pay me to go during xmas or Thanksgiving. I would not want to spend a week in a jam-packed park.

gordo
12-24-2010, 11:40 PM
This year I get out of work June 3rd which I feel is pretty early so I was toying with that idea and hoping that it wouldn't be too hot or too crowded. However, it would mean pulling DD1 out of the school during her last week of Kindergarten (she doesn't get out until June 10).

Thanks for looking up dates Lori

Winter break would be sometime between 12/24/11 and 1/6/12.
Spring break would be 3/25/11-4/1/11
Summer would be between 6/3/11 and 8/20/11

Fairy
12-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Gordo, do you have an option to take a Friday and Monday off of work not around an obvious Federal holiday? If you could leave on a Thursday late afternoon or first thing on a Friday morning and spend Sat and Sun fully at Disney, then come home on a Monday sometime in October, that might be a good option. It's not a long vaca :-(. But it's a thought.

If it were me, I would not pull my DS out of his last week of Kindy. But I'm sentimental about these things. Every single milestone is sacred! If you're not like that, then that first week of June is not as bad as that last week of August, IMO. August heat is baaaad.

Momof3Labs
12-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Winter break would be sometime between 12/24/11 and 1/6/12.
Spring break would be 3/25/11-4/1/11
Summer would be between 6/3/11 and 8/20/11

March 29-April 3 doesn't look too bad (crowds of mostly 5 or 6 out of 10). March 25-28 are 9's out of 10.

Anytime before June 24 doesn't look too bad (5-6 out of 10) except June 12 and 14, which are 9's.

The calendar only goes out one year, but 12/24/10-1/6/11 looks like this: 10's through 1/1/11, 9 on 1/2/11 and then on 1/3, crowds drop to nice, low levels (mostly 2-3).

So out of the times you list, I'd say the last 5 days of winter break (maybe - it would be a shorter trip but you'd get soooo much done with crowds that low), the second half of your spring break or the first week or two of summer break. Summer is soooo hot, though. Just awful.

resipsaloquitur
12-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Do NOT think of going on Xmas day. I tried that once thinking everyone would be home celebrating. NO. It was the most crowded I'd ever seen it. Miserable.

Fairy
12-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Do NOT think of going on Xmas day. I tried that once thinking everyone would be home celebrating. NO. It was the most crowded I'd ever seen it. Miserable.

Well, there goes my bright idea for next year. Ok, will find a new plan. We will likely take DS out of school for a couple days so we can go in October. We were thinking Xmas next year as a maybe. I'll consider it a no, now.

gordo
12-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for looking up those dates!

I could take personal days on a Friday and Monday, but honestly if I am going to spend the airfare for 4 of us to go, I would like to go for longer and see more. I wonder if some of the other parks are less crowded around christmas and we could go over the end of my winter break and hit disney the last few days. I just realized, I wouldn't have to be home until January 8th, so if we flew out at night on January 2nd, maybe that would be our best bet. although looking at how x-mas and NYE fall that year, I bet a lot of other schools will have later breaks like mine which may make it more crowded on those dates that year.

Of course DD2 turns 3 at the end of June, so I would love to go before then to save money on her admission.

erosenst
12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree with not going in summer. It was really warm when we went last spring, and definitely impacted our trip. Summer is usually worse :(.

If you go ANY of the times you're thinking about, get RideMax (you can google for more information). We went Easter week, and it was PACKED...but following the RideMax plan we had minimal time spent waiting in lines.

fivi2
12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
From what I hear, Christmas is the absolute worst possible time to go - wall to wall people, parks actually close because they are too full (no btdt, just read about it).

My thought for future trips are either the first possible week in June (first week we are out of school, whenever that is) or Spring Break (depending on when it falls). But we have gone before, so I may do long weekends or something.

Good luck!

egoldber
12-27-2010, 09:26 AM
IMO, I think crowds are worse than heat. I can do lots of things at WDW to get our of the heat (restaurants, indoor rides and shows, water rides, pool at hotel, etc.) But there is no avoiding the crowds and they make it hard to do absolutely anything.

I have been in July and yes it was hot, but not that bad IMO. But you could not pay me to go at a heavy crowd time.

Of those times, I would try to do early June.

danandterry
12-27-2010, 11:30 AM
we were over on thanksgiving weekened and loved it, we hardly waited in line. We just got back from xmas weekend and xmas eve was awesome, again, we hardly waited in line. However, xmas day was packed and full to capacity so they wouldn't let new guests in until after 5pm. So head in there right when they open on xmas day. We also went the last weekend in sept and that was not too crowded. We usually do mostly the fast pass and then parent swap pass to decrease our wait time.

TwinFoxes
12-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Are you talking Land or World? I think World, but I think some respondents may be thinking Land.

egoldber
12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes, crowd wise, the MOST crowded times at WDW are Christmas week, Thanksgiving week and the weeks before and after Easter (that coincide with spring break for many schools). You can look at a 2011 room rate pricing chart for hotels to get a better idea as well. The prices are higher at more crowded times of year.

http://www.mousesavers.com/valueresorts2011.html

I just did Value resorts for comparison. When they are $150 a night = most crowded. When they are around or less than $100 a night = least crowded.

rlu
12-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking OP is asking World, but I will let you know DL the week of Christmas this year was not crowded due to the torrential cold rains we had. The weather cleared closer to Xmas day itself, but the Sun - Wed beforehand had fairly short (wet) lines. We had been expecting huge crowds but the rain must have scared them away.

I would think Xmas day would be super crowded at WDW since they have a major parade that is broadcast (or is that held earlier and just broadcast Xmas day?)

TwinFoxes
12-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I would think Xmas day would be super crowded at WDW since they have a major parade that is broadcast (or is that held earlier and just broadcast Xmas day?)

They tape it in November. :)

Tinkerbell313
12-29-2010, 03:35 PM
They tape it in November. :)

The WDW parade is taped in December...its alway the first weekend. This year is was taped Dec. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

The DL parade is usually taped in November.