PDA

View Full Version : Successful vegan holiday meal even my 2 yo loved!

amldaley
12-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Ok, this post is a total self-congratulatory brag, but also wanted to share with other veggie/vegan & food allergy families....it IS possible to make a festive vegan meal a toddler will love!

VEGAN MAC-N-CHEESE (even w/ whole wheat pasta) ROCKS. I used this recipe but cut out the water entirely, used a 1/2 cup of Earths Balance instead of oil, used Braggs Liquid Aminos instead of tamari, and used silken tofu. Nixed the garlic and added some other random seasonings. I probably could have used more liquid in some form - either oil or soy milk as I needed a bit more "cheese sauce". This is so easy!!!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8295.0

Did spaghetti squash in microwave, then added Earths Balance and lots of cinnamon and set in a warm oven for 20 minutes. (Oven had been at 350 and I added this when I turned it off).

Balsamic Brussel Sprouts - these were so easy and tasty - I can't wait to make these again! Bought already prepared sproust from Costco. Washed and cut in half. Rubbed with olive oil. Heated a TBS olive oil on medium and added sprouts cut side down. Added a GENEROUS amount of medium ground Himalyan salt. Covered and cooked for 5 minutes. Uncovered, tossed around in pan to cook all over, added more salt. Once they were golden on cut side, I added 2 TBS chopped garlic (jarred kind) and tossed for a minute or two. Then I drizzled good balsamic vingear throughout. YUMMY.

Sauteed yellow sweet Peru onions until browned, then added sliced apples & some apple cider. Covered and cooked until apples were tender, not mushy. Left the red apple peels and it gave the dish some color.

The red apples and green brussels were very pretty at the table.

Vegan rice pudding - cheaters style. Two cans of light coconut milk and 2 cups rice in the rice cooker with almond extract. Added almond milk & agave syrup and let stand. Added more milk when I served as it really soaked it up! Sprinkled with Pumpkin Pie Spice when served.

DD ate a full meal!

danagee
12-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Congratulations!
Thank you for sharing the recipe and your opinion of the mac & cheese. I'll give it a try.
what's nutritional yeast and where do I find it in the store???

amldaley
12-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Nutriotional Yeast is a dried food supplement. I had to educate myself on it a few weeks ago, too! http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/nutyeast.htm

It does not smell great dry, but it is amazing in the sauce!

I got mine at a local co-op grocery in the bulk bins, but if you follow that recipe link and read the comments, there is some discussion of grocery store brands.

danagee
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks so much for that info. We are dairy free and I have not even read or heard of it. I'll have to get some asap!