PDA

View Full Version : DEAD Cameras (Canon XS Rebel SLR, Nikon Coolpix) & Camcorders 1/2 off Barnes & Noble

Melbel
12-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Link (http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/home-gift/container/4-merch.asp?r=1&PID=32577&r=1&cds2Pid=32576)

Shipping starts at $5.49.

Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR Camera kit (black) for $319.
Nikon Coolpix L22 12 Megapixel $59
Nikon Coolpix S3000 $73
Numerous Canon camcorders
many more (see link above)

SD link: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2515423

sewarsh
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
why in the world does B&N sell cameras?!?!?!??!?

Melbel
12-26-2010, 11:15 AM
why in the world does B&N sell cameras?!?!?!??!?

I was wondering the same thing. I would have loved to have upgraded to the D90 but it sold out quickly.

TwinFoxes
12-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Holy cow I want that Rebel. I just had a very nice Christmas, I can NOT justify it. Especially since I got a new P&S from DH for my bday, for pretty much that price! But, oh boy.

jenstring95
12-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Holy cow I want that Rebel. I just had a very nice Christmas, I can NOT justify it. Especially since I got a new P&S from DH for my bday, for pretty much that price! But, oh boy.

My DH wants to upgrade our current Rebel XT. That's not going to happen either, but wow, that is a GREAT deal!

Melbel
12-26-2010, 11:47 AM

I would be tempted to return the P&S and buy the Rebel. I love my SLR!

scout123
12-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks OP! I just ordered my first SLR! I have no idea how to use it but hopefully I can figure it out. I went through ebates for 8% cashback. I'm returning the P&S I got for Christmas.

resipsaloquitur
12-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Just got the Canon EOS. Thanks OP! I'd been on the fence about upgrading but for that price I got off the fence.

ecofem
12-26-2010, 12:22 PM
thank you! just got the xs... hopefully my order will go through

Hippoharbor
12-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I got the Canon camera, also. I do not know anything about them (have always been a point and shoot camera girl) but am excited to get such a great deal!

KpbS
12-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow! Thanks OP! Got a camera for DS1's birthday for next year. :cheerleader1:

♥ms.pacman♥
12-26-2010, 12:40 PM
holy carp, those are insane prices. whoever snagged a D90 before it went OOS is one lucky duck. too bad i already have a DSLR already. i may consider upgrading my P&S though, i've had it for over 2 years. hmmm

lchang25000
12-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks OP! DH told me to go ahead and order our first SLR! He's now doing research about that camera AFTER the purchase! :ROTFLMAO:

NattyMom
12-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I wish they had lenses for the Rebel!

Melbel
12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I just read that it may have been a price error. Fingers crossed that the deals go through!

DS will be turning 11 in a few weeks and is into photography. I purchased a Rebel for him but may return because it is a bit over the top. It is an extravagent gift, but I would selfishly love for him to share my hobby. :)

larig
12-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Holy cow, that's a screaming deal for the XS. People on SD are saying that if you keep checking on the D90 it may come back in stock!

ha98ed14
12-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Is the SLR Idiot proof? I have a Nikon CoolPix that I REALLY HATE! I can never set the "setting" right. The auto mode is the worst, so i always have to choose something. If the SLR can make decisions for me, I'd buy it! Anyone?

justlearning
12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks, OP! I got a Rebel for us (our first SLR) and a Canon point-and-shoot for my parents. I also went through ShopDiscover and used my Discover card so hopefully that will give me another 10% bonus back.

Melbel
12-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Is the SLR Idiot proof? I have a Nikon CoolPix that I REALLY HATE! I can never set the "setting" right. The auto mode is the worst, so i always have to choose something. If the SLR can make decisions for me, I'd buy it! Anyone?

IME, it is not hard to take very good pictures with a SLR in the auto setting. I have an entry level Nikon. It helps to lock the focus (push half way down) before taking a picture, or you can use sports mode for faster shots. To take great pictures, it will take some practice. An SLR is the way to go with shots of kids because it is so fast. You have a much better chance of catching the shots. I also love it for my kids' sports (which will be more important as your sweet DD gets older). Natural light that is not too bright (half hour before sunset or overcast) has really helped me to get great shots. FWIW, I have yet to read a manual and I feel as though I get some beautiful shots of my kids that I will treasure for a lifetime.

TwinFoxes
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I really need a P&S though. I actually have two other cameras. :bag

ha98ed14
12-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF BUYING THE SLR WHEN THE PRICE JUMPED FROM 318 TO 637!!!! SERIOUSLY, i WAS ENTERING MY CC INFORMATION AND IT JUMPED! I am so pissed! I am on hold (of course!) to see if they will honor the advertised price!

Bens Momma
12-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Trying to add the Canon to my cart. Showing the $318.xx discounted price but when I put it in my cart it shows the $637 full price. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe they made an error and are trying to correct it but are getting slammed with SD shoppers. Anyone else having problems?

Bens Momma
12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Just checked the SD's link and it seems that they did revert back to full price and many people are getting cancellation emails. Unfortunately it looks like it was a price error :mad: Fingers crossed for those that did manage to get things ordered at the smokin' prices, maybe you'll get lucky!

Melbel
12-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Deal is dead. :( Some on SD are reporting cancellation emails. I hope the deal goes through for some of us.

Melbel
12-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF BUYING THE SLR WHEN THE PRICE JUMPED FROM 318 TO 637!!!! SERIOUSLY, i WAS ENTERING MY CC INFORMATION AND IT JUMPED! I am so pissed! I am on hold (of course!) to see if they will honor the advertised price!

Bummer! I think it may have been a price error to begin with. Rest assured that there will be more deals to be found. SLR prices are definitely dropping.

ha98ed14
12-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Deal is dead. :( Some on SD are reporting cancellation emails. I hope the deal goes through for some of us.

ok. I am giving up. :(

justlearning
12-26-2010, 03:46 PM
So far I haven't gotten a cancellation email but with sales tax and shipping, the EOS Rebel XS came out to $334 for me.

On Amazon they have the camera for $500 but you can get $100 or $150 off if you buy a lens for it. I think that I'm going to end up buying the lens anyhow, so it really was only a savings of $65 (versus $100 off at Amazon for the cheaper lens).

Now if I do get my 10% back from Discover, then it will be a savings higher than that but my point is that the Rebel wasn't a screamin' deal really IMO. So I won't be greatly disappointed if my order gets cancelled (although I hope that it doesn't).

Maybe Amazon will have some great deals soon...

ha98ed14
12-26-2010, 03:54 PM
So far I haven't gotten a cancellation email but with sales tax and shipping, the EOS Rebel XS came out to $334 for me.

On Amazon they have the camera for $500 but you can get $100 or $150 off if you buy a lens for it. I think that I'm going to end up buying the lens anyhow, so it really was only a savings of $65 (versus $100 off at Amazon for the cheaper lens).

Now if I do get my 10% back from Discover, then it will be a savings higher than that but my point is that the Rebel wasn't a screamin' deal really IMO. So I won't be greatly disappointed if my order gets cancelled (although I hope that it doesn't).

Maybe Amazon will have some great deals soon...

Since I've never had an SLR and I had $50 in credit to BN, I am SUPER bummed. :( Sucks.

justlearning
12-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Since I've never had an SLR and I had $50 in credit to BN, I am SUPER bummed. :( Sucks.

I'm sorry. :(

lchang25000
12-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Ugh...that sucks! I haven't received a cancellation email yet, but hubby was getting excited about it and looking up photography classes. I looked on the slickdeals link and it seems like people are saying that these types of cameras will be decreasing in price soon overall to the $300s range. I guess we can wait to see if it does. There will always be a sale I guess.

scrappypeanut
12-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Good deal - didn't even bother to order though. After the mother's day fiasco with the xbox360 (in which everyone received cancellation emails), I have learned that if it is to good to be true with B&N not to waste my time.

However, if anyone actually gets these - SCORE for you!

resipsaloquitur
12-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I just checked and my order (from 11am) is now "unable to process". I am actually shocked that they can just cancel, as PP said they did with previous "price mistakes." Maybe I'm not remembering first year contracts but as long as we (the buyers) didn't know that BAN was making a mistake (and a 50% off after Christmas sale wouldn't put someone on notice) I would think legally they'd have to honor the deal. Isn't there some lawyer out there (who has more time, and specific expertise) that would get together a class action lawsuit on these types of things? Geesh, there's so many ambulence chasing typs of lawyers I can't believe some lawyer isn't looking for these kinds of cases.

ecofem
12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I just checked and my order (from 11am) is now "unable to process". I am actually shocked that they can just cancel, as PP said they did with previous "price mistakes." Maybe I'm not remembering first year contracts but as long as we (the buyers) didn't know that BAN was making a mistake (and a 50% off after Christmas sale wouldn't put someone on notice) I would think legally they'd have to honor the deal. Isn't there some lawyer out there (who has more time, and specific expertise) that would get together a class action lawsuit on these types of things? Geesh, there's so many ambulence chasing typs of lawyers I can't believe some lawyer isn't looking for these kinds of cases.

I am trying to dust off 1st yr contracts.... B&N would probably say no consideration changed hands since they have not charged our cards yet.... I am annoyed, too.... I want my DSLR!

TwinFoxes
12-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh, this sucks for you guys! I can't believe they're not honoring the price for those who completed the transaction. :( I got a $600 from diapers.com for $194 in what apparently was a pricing error, and they not only honored it, I got the stroller the next day. I guess they care more about their customers.

Melbel
12-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Most websites have provisions for pricing "errors". For B&N, it is burried in the terms of use:

V. PRICES
The price for an item on the Barnes & Noble.com Site may differ from the price shown in a User's shopping cart — it is possible that such price may increase or decrease between the time the item is placed in a shopping cart and the time that the purchase is actually made. On rare occasions, an item may be priced incorrectly on the Barnes & Noble.com Site. If the price for the item on the Barnes & Noble.com Site is incorrect and is actually higher than the price provided at the time of purchase, then, at the sole discretion of Barnes & Noble.com, Barnes & Noble.com may either (i) contact the User for instructions before shipping the item or charging the User for such item; (ii) cancel the order for such item and notify the User of such cancellation; or (iii) ship the item at the incorrect price to the benefit of the User.

I have not received a cancellation yet (still in process not yet shipped in my account), but expect that it is forthcoming.

poohbear
12-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I have found that the only site that actually honors their own pricing errors is diapers.com. Target, walmart, etc, all say that they reserve the right to cancel if something was mispriced. But last week when diapers.com had that clearance fiasco with the strollers like the peg skate marked down to $250 and the micralite toro to $135, and the britax stacking deal in November when you could get 45% off, they honored every order...
Not to make this a "yay diapers.com post" just to say that they are in the minority when it comes to companies honoring pricing errors...

nurseapril
12-26-2010, 05:05 PM
That sucks they are cancelling!

I have never had a price mistake go through for me (ok, well maybe Kohls and the Lipper table for $23)-be it from Amazon, Target or B&N. And I have tried to get on a lot! Matter of fact, I just had an order from Amazon get cancelled last week for a pricing error. It was a Kettler go-cart marked $15 down from $175. It happens, and it sucks, but the merchant can do it, and they will unless it slips through the cracks.

I hope some orders go through for you!

mommylamb
12-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I didn't even order, but I'm annoyed for all of you who did. Sounds like a job for that other BBB (Better Business Bureau).

Jo..
12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I have found that the only site that actually honors their own pricing errors is diapers.com. Target, walmart, etc, all say that they reserve the right to cancel if something was mispriced. But last week when diapers.com had that clearance fiasco with the strollers like the peg skate marked down to $250 and the micralite toro to $135, and the britax stacking deal in November when you could get 45% off, they honored every order...
Not to make this a "yay diapers.com post" just to say that they are in the minority when it comes to companies honoring pricing errors...

Amazon does too. I :heartbeat:them

♥ms.pacman♥
12-26-2010, 05:42 PM
oh that sucks that they won't honor the price. i guess B&N is like amazon, they won't honor pricing errors. a few months back i ordered a TV mounting stand on amazon that was marked down to $20-something (was normally $200+) and i got a cancellation email later on. it's disappointing bc u get your hopes up!

arivecchi
12-26-2010, 05:48 PM
It is perfectly legal for an internet retailer to cancel orders when there is a pricing error. It is always in their terms and conditions.

Melbel
12-26-2010, 05:52 PM
It is perfectly legal for an internet retailer to cancel orders when there is a pricing error. It is always in their terms and conditions.

:yeahthat: I quoted the language upthread. It is not exactly good customer service though. I ended up with a $25 credit with Target over a Britax price mistake that they cancelled.

resipsaloquitur
12-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, now that I see that it's in their terms and conditions, I guess I have to accept it. But it still doesn't seem right, especially since I read on slickdeals that this is the second time they have done this recently- the previous time they had marked down xbox 360's and then cancelled on everyone. Maybe I'm just cynical but it makes me wonder if they are just really that incompetent or if this is sort of a modified version of "bait and switch" to drive people to their website. Either way it's horrible PR but considering they mass cancelled on people before, clearly they aren't that interested.

I guess I've gotten lucky. I've had both Target and Amazon honor "pricing errors'' for me in the past. And I still shop both. I won't be saying the same for Barnes and Noble.

arivecchi
12-26-2010, 06:21 PM
:yeahthat: I quoted the language upthread. It is not exactly good customer service though. I ended up with a $25 credit with Target over a Britax price mistake that they cancelled.Thank you Melbel. I should have read the entire thread before I posted. :tongue5:

lchang25000
12-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Just checked my order status and it says "not yet shipped" with ship date of 12/30. I ordered it this morning around 10am. I wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled though....oh well. Too good to be true I guess.

resipsaloquitur
12-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Just checked my order status and it says "not yet shipped" with ship date of 12/30. I ordered it this morning around 10am. I wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled though....oh well. Too good to be true I guess.

I ordered at 11am and have a "unable to process" as my status. Of course, I started thinking about it at 9am and it took me that long to make up my mind. I guess that two hours may have cost me, as your status at least sounds more processing than mine does.

ecofem
12-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I ordered ~10 a.m. and I got the same unable to process order. Have you called the 800 number? I am trying to decide whether I bother...

emily_gracesmama
12-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I did and all the guy told me was that all of the orders are on hold and disregard the status it says online and I'll be getting an email. He was vague and I got the feeling I'll be getting a sorry we messed up and you're not getting your rebel email.

Melbel
12-27-2010, 11:00 AM

I tried to send you a follow up PM but your box is full (remember to also clear the sent items to free space). :)

Melbel
12-27-2010, 05:43 PM
My order went to unable to process too. I decided to go ahead and call customer service but was redirected to the order audit department. I was told (along with others who called from SD) that all orders will be filled, but that they are running behind in processing the orders due to the number of orders and the winter storm (audit dept is in NYC, CS in NJ).

I still need to talk to someone in CS because I was charged for shipping when members should get FS and I could not use a coupon code, inexplicably (20% off email code; I could not locate the fine print excluding cameras but I could have missed it). If anyone knows why I did not get FS and could not use a coupon please feel free to enlighten me. :)

Fingers crossed that the deal goes through for everyone who tried!

ecofem
12-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I ended up calling, too. The rep I spoke to in the audit department said they received a bunch of orders over the weekend, they were behind processing and that my status would be updated and to expect an email. She didn't say the order would be filled, however. we shall see!

*fingers crossed*

Melbel
12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
After being advised earlier today that my camera WOULD ship it get the following email, complete with typos (notice the incompete sentence). Game over, for me anyway. :(

Dear Valued Customer,

We are writing to you regarding your recent Barnes & Noble order for
Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR Camera B, Nikon Coolpix S4000 12 Megapixel Compact, Nikon Coolpix L22 12 Megapixel Compact C

We are unable to fulfill the item(s) as requested because the price listed on our site was incorrect. We have cancelled your order in accordance with the Terms of Use listed on bn.com. You will not be billed for this amount.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our Terms of Use can be found by clicking on this link :

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/include/terms_of_use.asp

Sincerely,

Barnes & Noble

Customer Service

Good luck to the rest of you.

firsttimemommy
12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Order cancelled! Boo hoo!

Funny, I didn't really think I wanted/needed a DSLR - but decided to pull the trigger at the 1/2 price deal - now that I've sat on the thought of getting this one for the last 30 hours or so, I want one! LOL Hopefully other posters were correct in that these are going to go down into the 3 hundreds relatively soon anyway....

lchang25000
12-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Order cancelled! Boo hoo!

Funny, I didn't really think I wanted/needed a DSLR - but decided to pull the trigger at the 1/2 price deal - now that I've sat on the thought of getting this one for the last 30 hours or so, I want one! LOL Hopefully other posters were correct in that these are going to go down into the 3 hundreds relatively soon anyway....

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

ecofem
12-27-2010, 08:40 PM
order cancelled, too! BOO!

p3pp3r
12-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Good deal - didn't even bother to order though. After the mother's day fiasco with the xbox360 (in which everyone received cancellation emails), I have learned that if it is to good to be true with B&N not to waste my time.

However, if anyone actually gets these - SCORE for you!

Ordered but also got the same email regarding the price mistake. It seems like Barnes and Nobles have these "errors" every now and then, I smell a gimmick to increase web traffic. Does this not border along false advertisement.

This people got my hopes up. POS.

No more barnes and nobles here.

Melbel
12-28-2010, 09:44 AM
There is an online petition protesting this issue if you are interested. This service has been successful in the past in getting concessions from companies in similar situations (i.e. Frye's black Friday TV deal).

http://www.groubal.com/barnes-noble-50-off-sale-rip-off/#signatures