PDA

View Full Version : Disney resorts--second thoughts...

spunkybaby
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
We just booked our first trip to Disney World for Dec. 2011. We will be going on a 4-night Bahamas Disney cruise first and then staying at Disney World for 5 nights afterwards. I'm hoping that my parents and my sister/brother-in-law will come with us, so I am booking rooms for them too...just in case.

It is considered "Fall Season," so the Value resorts are $100/night, Moderates are $170/night, and the Deluxes have a wide range: $285/night (WL & AKL), $330/night (CR), $400/night (Boardwalk, BC, YC), $420/night (Poly), and $470/night (GF).

I booked POFQ because we may overlap with Pop Warner at the beginning of Disney World trip, so it seemed like the Value resorts would not be a good idea--too noisy. POFQ is undergoing a refurbishment, so by the time we get there, all rooms will be renovated with 2 queen beds. Also, POFQ has a small footprint and has the first bus stop so easier to get a seat etc.

We have a AAA discount, which gives us 15% off POFQ, and of course, I'm hoping that there will be more discount/PIN codes released later this year for a December stay.

But now I'm wondering if I made the right choice. What if it rains in December? Will I wish that we had paid more for a deluxe hotel with enclosed corridors and with more restaurant choices? Would it be better to stay at WL and have the boat option to MK? (The Electrical Water Pageant feature seems cool!) Should we go to the Contemporary so we can walk to MK? Or should we go to an Epcot-area hotel so that we can walk to 2 parks? Or should I look at renting DVC points and getting a villa or something?

Would it make sense to keep my POFQ reservation but also make a reservation at a Deluxe hotel in case PIN codes are released, thus making the Deluxes more affordable?

Any comments and feedback are appreciated! DDs will be almost 5 and 7.5 when we go, so no afternoon naps are needed. We will probably bring the P3 stroller. Or we may bring two Volos.

TwinFoxes
12-26-2010, 04:23 PM
So much depends on your budget. Monorail hotels are very convenient, as are the Boardwalk area hotels. But you pay a lot for that convenience.

I'm not sure booking a deluxe now and hoping for a pin will work. Disney sets aside a certain number of pin code rooms. So say you have a reservation at CR. And you get a pin code. If there are no pin code rooms set aside at CR, they won't just change your room to that rate. You wouldn't have an advantage over people calling in for a new reservation, as far as I can see. Does that make sense?

Dream
12-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I was also looking at making reservations at the BLT and I came across Swan/Dolphin Hotel and now I'm thinking that might work too. Its not a Disney resort or on the monorail but about 15min by boat apparently. Can't be that bad. I'm seriously considering, working the numbers its going to save us about $4,000 which is alot.

You might want to look into it.

spunkybaby
12-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure booking a deluxe now and hoping for a pin will work. Disney sets aside a certain number of pin code rooms. So say you have a reservation at CR. And you get a pin code. If there are no pin code rooms set aside at CR, they won't just change your room to that rate. You wouldn't have an advantage over people calling in for a new reservation, as far as I can see. Does that make sense?

Hmm...I see what you mean. It's a little different, however, than what my TA said. She thinks it's best to book the rooms now and then call again when the PIN codes are released. She says I would have a better chance of being able to apply the PIN discount because I would already have rooms reserved. And she says that she would help keep an eye/ear out for the PIN codes and would apply them on my behalf. Not sure if that's true...:shrug: but she is definitely an advocate of reserving the rooms early, especially since the deposits are fully refundable up to a point.

spunkybaby
12-26-2010, 05:05 PM
I was also looking at making reservations at the BLT and I came across Swan/Dolphin Hotel and now I'm thinking that might work too. Its not a Disney resort or on the monorail but about 15min by boat apparently. Can't be that bad. I'm seriously considering, working the numbers its going to save us about $4,000 which is alot.

You might want to look into it.

I did look into the Swan/Dolphin--they seem like such nice hotels! But it didn't seem like we would save that much. When my TA gave me quotes, the Swan/Dolphin were almost the same price as the Beach Club/Yacht Club rooms. I don't think we qualify for any of the special discounts at the Swan/Dolphin (teacher or nurse) that I've read about. If we qualified, it would probably make a big difference.

TwinFoxes
12-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Hmm...I see what you mean. It's a little different, however, than what my TA said. She thinks it's best to book the rooms now and then call again when the PIN codes are released. She says I would have a better chance of being able to apply the PIN discount because I would already have rooms reserved. And she says that she would help keep an eye/ear out for the PIN codes and would apply them on my behalf. Not sure if that's true...:shrug: but she is definitely an advocate of reserving the rooms early, especially since the deposits are fully refundable up to a point.

Well, it won't hurt to book, it's a few hundred dollars on your cc statement. I will say, your agent may get credit at her agency for rooms booked, whether or not they are eventually canceled. So she could have incentive to have you book. Just a thought. :)

Check out disboards.com for info re: pin codes. They are intense Disneyholics, and know all the ins and outs of codes, what codes are out there, and how they can be used.

If you're willing to stay off property, you might look into the Wyndhm Bonnet Creek. It's in the World, closer to the parks than the Values. I saw it while we were there this fall, it's gorgeous. It's a vacation club type property with suites. Someone on the board stayed there recently and loved it. The rates are really good.

Good luck. :)