PDA

View Full Version : Any bassinets that work with the snap n go?

Blackbird711
12-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm a first-time mom, due in May. We have a small city apartment and will be moving cross-country within a few months after having the baby, so I'm trying to assess what I really need for the first few months and/or should invest in now, and what I can put off until after we move.

In my ideal world, I'd like to buy a snap n go stroller frame that I can use with a carseat and have that be our only stroller until after we move. However, I've heard two things that concern me: 1) that some babies really do NOT like being in their carseat for an extended period; and 2) that it might be better to have a lay-flat option in a stroller for a newborn.

So, my question is whether there any of the bassinet attachments sold for other systems (bugaboo, valco, inglesina, icoo, baby jogger, etc) might work in a snap n go stroller? I've been scouring websites but haven't been able to find an answer so thought some of you might have some experience or advice.

Also, and this may be a silly question, but any reason to think a bassinet wouldn't be a good idea on the hills of San Francisco? I have this anxiety about the baby sliding all around with a strap in there but it's entirely possible I'm just WAY overthinking this :)

purpelina
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
You may want to look into a different stroller concept.
Examples:
Bugaboo bee. It takes car seat with an adapter, it reclines flat and reverses, so you can put a newborn there and skip bassinet all together - it's another thing to have, to store...
You can keep using the bee when you move, and it's easy to travel with.
What's your budget?

I don't know of bassinets that would work with car seat frame. They may exist, but you will need a reg stroller anyway, plus bassinets are usually expensive, and it might be too much hassle getting one, then selling, then getting a stroller...

What's your budget? There are deals on used bees

Blackbird711
12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks so much for your response! I think you're right, what I'm really looking for is a stroller that is safe for me to use from soon after birth (within a month) to well into the toddler years. Definitely not wedded to the idea of a bassinet if I can find another stroller that has full recline and a harness.

The Bugaboo bee certainly looks great, but it would definitely stretch our budget. I'm willing to spend $500-$600, but wouldn't do so unless it's a stroller that will really take us well into the toddler years. I'd be concerned about spending that much money on a stroller like the Bee that only has a seat capacity to 37.5 lbs, when most other strollers in that "class" seem to go to 50 pounds.

I've also been looking at the First Years Wave - love the price and reversible lay flat features, but concerned about lack of console and tough to access basket. I can see that getting really annoying really fast if I ever try to walk to any shops.

Any other advice you have would be much appreciated. I may also post again asking more broadly about infant-compatible lay-flat strollers - so thanks again for helping me think about what I'm actually looking for :-)

mrsjde
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
If I would have purchased the Bee in the beginning..... I wouldn't have most of the singles that I have. My son is fairly tall for his age and we are just starting to notice that the stroller is getting snug for him ( which is fine because he can now just ride on the board, which he likes better anyway-- even if his sis is not in the stroller).

jacksmoma
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
i know the weight limit is not super high on the bee BUT my 3 year old at 37 lbs and SUPER tall still fits fine and it pushes so well with him in it still. most kids at that weight will not be in the stroller full time at that point; they will be walking most of the time. a bee would be GREAT for sf; light to take on a bus etc but very very great push. the bug cocoon makes the bee into a basinett for a baby, actually much more inclosed than a traditional basinett where baby can roll around, it is more like an all over body suport for a newborn :) give it a look!

purpelina
12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
All valid concerns, and point well taken - budget is quite a major thing!
I will say, please don't discount the bee just yet.
Here are a few more points to consider:
It's a very versatile stroller, that also goes everywhere. You can take it on public transportation, (even on a bus), without folding if it's not too crowded.
It's also lightweight and narrow - unheard of, because vast majority of reversible strollers are wide and heavy. (except for the frog, but it's even more expensive).

It also lies completely flat, which again is hard to find - many strollers have car seat type seat, and not all children like that. Also newborns shouldn't be kept in car seats for long periods of time - they should stretch out on flat surfaces, hence the bassinet attachments. With the bee you ahve it all, without another thing to buy and store (bassinet).

Weight limit seems low - but only compared to other strollers! I really don't know what's the trend with 70lbs weight limit. That's almost how much my mom weighs (she's very petite), but she doesn't ride in strollers!

37.5 will safely take you through first 2 years if your child is gigantic (my friends' son was off charts right from birth), but any other child will be able to use the stroller till rip age of 3.5 - 4. And that's usually a breaking point when some people stop using strollers all together, or get an umbrella, or a jogger, or both.

Another hard truth about strollers: it's very hard to find a do-it-all that will last you for all stroller years of your child. Circumstances change, child has different preferences (starts walking early - or late), your life style changes - and your stroller choice will reflect that. Some people have several strollers for just one child, and others might get by on a couple strollers for all their 3 children.
Main idea: stroller is not a couch, that you can buy once and enjoy for 10+ years. And if your decor changes you get a new slip cover. STroller is more like a window treatment: you might need a lighter colored in summer, or heavy weight in winter (to block cold air), when you move - it's easier to fit the couch, but windows might be completely different (width, length, and ceiling height), so you need new ones.

I also was torn about the bee, especially since it just came out when I had my dd. But I did get it when dd turned 1, and was happy every moment I owned it (have since passed it along to my sis). The only thing I regret is that I didn't get it from beginning. It woudl have saved me trouble going through several other strollers (including car seta frame).

Now back to budget again. There is new bee, called bee+, and older model (sometimes called bee- - unofficially :)) It's possible to find deals on older model, and I'm not talking ebay, if you are concerned about warranty, there might be more sales from authorized dealers.

There was a 20 off coupon recently on bugaboos, which also made it a great deal, but these sales are very rare (bugaboo doesn't allow them too often), so it all depends on how much time you have to look for a deal.

If you don't mind buying used, you can find one on your local craigslist, 200-250 seems to be a good deal for "older" bees.

Of course you might keep looking for another model. the wave is a very nice stroller, and there are sweet deals going around. One thing: it's heavier than the bee (is it 26 lbs?) and wider. I dont' know if that's a concern to you though. Do you need to go up the stairs to get into your apartment? It certainly is less travel friendly.

First years indigo is budget friendly option, but it has this shaped seat, meaning it reclines, but doesn't lay flat. It's also a tad wide. It folds in two pieces when parent facing, and I think can be folded in one piece when forward facing? Bee always folds in one piece.

There might be other options out there, and it's worth looking around some more in any case. Definitely go to a nice baby store and try out these strollers yourself. It helps a lot.

Also, there are new 2011 strollers coming out, but I'm not sure when each model hits the stores. Again, depends on when you need the stroller, and when the models will be released. if you go to strollerqueens website, and pay a small amount of something like 7 bucks, you can read her "stroller roll out" about all new models. There's a reversible "mamas and papas" one that looks very neat, and others.

Phew, that was long!
Tell us a bit more, where are you moving, what's your lifestyle like, and we might think of something else.:waving4:

Blackbird711
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow, you guys are amazing! Thanks so much for your help.

Baby is due first week of May... I'm not opposed to waiting until the baby is born to buying a stroller so I have some time to look for deals. I figure if I can get a handle on what I need now then I have a few months to scour for coupons or good deals on craigslist. We'll be moving (to Boston or a local suburb) sometime between June and September.

I do a lot of walking, and we live in a very hilly area right now hence the desire for something lightweight. I can barely get myself up these hills! But when we move it should be mostly flat city or suburb areas. Frankly I have no idea what it will be like to have a kid in New England - I may be doing my walks in a mall for half the year to avoid the snow and cold :)

purpelina
12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
We'll be moving (to Boston or a local suburb) sometime between June and September.

I do a lot of walking, and we live in a very hilly area right now hence the desire for something lightweight. I can barely get myself up these hills! But when we move it should be mostly flat city or suburb areas. Frankly I have no idea what it will be like to have a kid in New England - I may be doing my walks in a mall for half the year to avoid the snow and cold :)

Wow, welcome to Boston! That's where I lived for 8 years, then moved to 'burbs!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the area - I'd be happy to share! tell you all I think about stroller, city life, 'burbs, malls whatever (pm me if you want)

Blackbird711
12-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks! I was born and raised there and lived there up until a few years ago when we moved to SF. Very happy to be heading back east!

Eagletmom
12-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I think unofficially you can fit a Quinny Dreami Bassinet on the Bee + with the maxi cosi adapters. I have not tried it my self but I do remember seeing the suggestion on the Bugaboo Facebook page.

BTW I live in Metrowest Boston and love my bee, it's not my only stroller but it is the perfect semi compact, reversible, lightweight car or city stroller.

Best of Luck!

roseyloxs
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I think unofficially you can fit a Quinny Dreami Bassinet on the Bee + with the maxi cosi adapters. I have not tried it my self but I do remember seeing the suggestion on the Bugaboo Facebook page.

BTW I live in Metrowest Boston and love my bee, it's not my only stroller but it is the perfect semi compact, reversible, lightweight car or city stroller.

Best of Luck!

Oooh. I will look out for a used dreami bassinet then.

purpelina
12-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Best of Luck!

A wild thought: maybe other bassinets that work with maxi cosi will attach to bee then? There's quite unique way these maxi cosi adapters look, so it must work... But then you need the car seat adaptor for the bee, and bassinet. Might still run a bit too high in the end.

Plus, bee reclines flat anyway... But I can see how you can just take the bassinet with the baby off the frame and carry around the house, or up the stairs...