PDA

View Full Version : TMI tampon and Diva cup question

snowbunnies300
12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I used to be able to wear tampons with no problem. Now three 9 pound children later I have problems with the tampon staying in place. I swear it never stays in place. I have to use the Kotex brand super-plus to have any hope that it will stay in place for longer than 1/2 hour. It just keeps slipping down until it is very uncomfortable.

I hate wearing pads. I long to go back to the days of tampons. I thought about trying a Diva cup but am afraid it will also slip and be uncomfortable.

What can I do? Does anyone else have this problem?

Katigre
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
FWIW, a diva cup is about as big around as a penis so it sholdn't lip out IMO.

kristenk
12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
FWIW, a diva cup is about as big around as a penis so it sholdn't lip out IMO.

Um, really? Granted I don't have either of those things right here handy for a comparison, but I think that the top edge of the diva is definitely wider. :) I'm sure male anatomy varies and there a a couple (two, right?) sizes of diva...

To the OP, I don't think that you'd have a problem with the diva. It is pretty wide. I haven't noticed a problem with slippage and the diva, but I did have that problem with ob tampons recently. (Tampax seemed to stay in better for some reason.)

ETA: I looked at my diva cup last night. It's definitely not as wide as I was remembering! I think it just seems wider than it is when I'm trying to use it.

Melanie
12-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't think you'll have a problem with the DivaCup falling out. There is a learning curve to getting it to work, inserting, etc. but I wouldn't expect it to fall out.

And even with the learning curve (seriously, I put the thing away for YEARS after a first disasterous month) I love it in that "I can't live without it" kind if way.

MommyAllison
12-28-2010, 02:13 AM
The only time my Diva slips is when I am working out. It is definitely wider than a tampon - when I first got mine, I was honestly not sure how I was going to insert it, it looked so big to my tampon-using brain! I love my Diva though, and will never go back!

Karenn
12-28-2010, 02:23 AM
I have that problem with tampons. The diva stays in slightly better, but not much. I've given up on both of them.

snowbunnies300
12-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I guess the only way to know if a Diva cup will work is to buy one and try it. Karenn ~I'm relieved to know that I am not the only one with this problem (though I wish both of us didn't have it!).

Do you think exercises could help this or a discussion with my doctor a better option?

JenaW
12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I definitely think discussing it with your OBGYN is a prudent choice. However, I am in the same boat as you. After 5 vaginal deliveries, tampons do NOTHING for me. I've been a faithful diva user (and lover) since right before I got pregnant with baby #4, who is now 4. After #5, I was at my mom's when my period came unexpectedly and I did not have my diva with me. I bought a box of super plus tampons, and less than an hour after putting them in, I was soaking right through them because they would start falling out. I know I have serious pelvic floor dysfunction, but until I am done having kids (I am currently preg with #6) I don't know what I can do. The pelvic floor PT thread has peaked my interest, and I will likely seek on out after I deliver this child, as I can only assume another pregnancy and delivery will only exacerbate the issue. Definitely give the Diva a try. It DOES have a rather large learning curve. It took me at least several cycles to really love mine, and I typically wear it inside out now (that was after trimming the stem several times).