PDA

View Full Version : Britax Chaperone recall question

AprilBaby413
12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
My baby is due in April and my cousin has offered us his Britax Chaperone infant seat. After doing a little research, I found that this seat was recalled due to a brittle chest clip. There were some reports of the chest clip snapping and causing skin lacerations and one report of a child putting the broken piece into his/her mouth. Basically, it was recalled under a laceration/choking hazard. Britax sent them a repair kit and my cousin has since fixed the issue. Most people I have asked think that the seat should be fine, especially since my cousin never had any problems with it. I have gotten some flak from others about using a recalled seat. I didn't think the chest clip was a big issue since Britax even states in the report that the seat can still be used safely. Wouldn't they have required owners to return the seats if they were unsafe? I'm new at all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joolsplus2
12-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Welcome!

You are doing everything right :yay:

There's no worries about using a recalled seat that has been fixed properly, especially when the company was so proactive about issuing a recall. I sort of like recalls, actually, it means the company is paying attention and constantly working to improve design.
As long as your seat installs properly, fits your child properly, and is used properly every time, it will be a safe choice for your kiddo.

AprilBaby413
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Thank you so much for not making me feel like a bad new mommy! My husband keeps telling me that if my cousin was able to use the seat without a problem before the recall, then fixed it, there shouldn't be an issue. I think I read too much and it makes me paranoid!:shake: