PDA

View Full Version : Serious TMI- what is up with all this clotting?!

ShanaMama
12-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Sorry for the TMI- I figured I could hide amongst all the diva threads lately :bag. For the past several months I've had a significant amount of clotting with my period. I would say some of the clots are the size of a few grapes put together but smaller than an egg. Besides that it totally grosses me out, is there any reason to be concerned?
I have the Paraguard IUD & have never had any clotting during my period before the birth of DD2. I just heard that the mid-cycle staining caused by the IUD can depend on the provider who inserted it. (I rarely had staining with my first IUD, inserted by a different provider than the second one.)Can it be the same with clots?

BabyBearsMom
12-28-2010, 11:38 AM
If I had clots that large, I would definitely call my doctor. Good luck.:hug:

BabbyO
12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I have no experience with IUD's but I know after I stopped nursing DS (13 mo) my periods got very heavy with significant clotting. I called my doc and he recommended an ultrasound (I was due for my yearly exam and had it, too) to rule out any polyps or other concerns. In my case there is nothing "structural" wrong, but he said that if we weren't TTC and were done having kids there were procedures he'd recommend.

I guess anytime I start getting clotting like that I call the doc just to rule out any problems.

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
No real thoughts other than checking with your Dr.. I recently did my own TMI search b/c I was getting thick pieces during my period, like tissue. My research is pointing to the fact that b/c my periods are only coming every other month the lining is really getting built up. I plan to talk to my Dr. soon though (though I have in the past and it was dismissed as ok). Anyway, I found lots of decent websites when I googled about it and your problems was on there a lot too.

Are you using a Diva with your IUD? I didn't think you could, per the Diva packaging? I wanted to try it though and am all ears if that has changed.

Beth

bubbaray
12-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't have an IUD, but I have had clotting since getting my period after weaning DD#2. It never dawned on me to talk to my dr about it. I'm 44 though, so maybe its age too.

FWIW, I tried to like/use the Diva, but it gave me even worse cramps. I never had cramps before DD#2 either. Now I get them, but the Diva made them FAR worse.

Tondi G
12-30-2010, 01:43 AM
the clotting is part of the reason I had my Paragard IUD removed after 1.5 yrs.

swissair81
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Okay, this is scaring me. I love my Paragard, probably because I haven't had a pp period yet. I need the break to let my body heal, but my periods are heavy & crampy anyway. Sounds like I better prepare myself for something nasty when they do come back. Ick.

ShanaMama
01-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Sorry I haven't been back to reply sooner, but thank you all for the advice. Truthfully, this is one of the things I hate about using midwives. I absolutely :heartbeat: them for OB care. But GYN, not so much. I feel like my midwives are a bit laissez faire & I'm always wondering how a doctor would have handled the situation. In fact, my first IUD was placed by an OB who had me get a sonogram in her office 'to make sure it's placed properly'. At the time I was impressed, albeit aware that it might be a bit of MD overkill. When the midwife placed this one at my 6 week PP visit & I asked her how she can be sure it's placed right she said "you'll be able to feel the strings & check on them every once in awhile."
I guess I should call them & probably go in for a visit. I hate that I feel so confident in their treatment of pregnancy, labor & delivery & not so confident in all things medical. (Then I wonder if I'm a brainwashed American, always looking for pathology ;))

Okay, this is scaring me. I love my Paragard, probably because I haven't had a pp period yet. I need the break to let my body heal, but my periods are heavy & crampy anyway. Sounds like I better prepare myself for something nasty when they do come back. Ick.

They do warn you that the Paraguard causes heavier bleeding. However I didn't find that with my first one. Maybe the first couple of periods, but not long term. This time around I got the IUD sooner PP, & I don't know if that makes a difference. I usually find that the first day or two are quite heavy & then it tapers off to a very light flow for another day or three. It hasn't had any effect on my regularity. I am regular as rain, even while nursing.

swissair81
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I always have time off because of nursing. I just need to pay attention, because I also get pregnant when I'm nursing. With DS, I didn't get a period for 11 months- without any birth control.