PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight, good canopy, 1-hand push

npl
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm still searching for a new stroller. The old ones didn't die yet, so dh was reluctant for me to spend a lot of money on a new one, and I didn't find something great in my budget. I'm keeping an eye open on the sales.
Here's what I'm finding most important with this baby:

Lightweight and easy, compact fold - it's a car stroller, and I am in-and-out of the car a lot. (Does this rule out the Valco Latitude?)

Good canopy - poor baby is finding the cold wind really unpleasant.

1-handed push - doesn't have to be amazing, just not heavy to push and fairly decent steering.

Handles that I can reach! (I'm 5'1" and find the bjcm too high) - would prefer height-adjustable bc dh is 6'4". Most seem to be around 40" and I find that quite high.

I don't have a huge budget, but am happy to buy used in good condition.
Baby is now 8mo, but will not buy something that can't be used by a newborn in case she isn't our last!

HonoluluMom
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I have a 2010 Peg Si which has an AMAZING canopy, decent push, adjustable handles, an easy standing fold, and great recline. However, the basket is pretty small and the cup holder really isn't that functional. You may want to look on Strollerqueen's website - she reviewed the, I think, 2009 Peg Si.

npl
12-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks - I played with a Si in the store, and even the salesperson had trouble with opening it. Is there a trick to getting it to lock open? We had to reach down on both sides and push the frame together.

artvandalay
12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I was thisclose to getting a Si. I really like the nice, big canopy and small fold. I don't know how easy it would be to push one handed (I can't really get the hang of pushing an umbrella stroller one handed) but it might fit your other criterea.

I seem to recall reading that the 2011's went up in price? I could be wrong on this. Perhaps you could find a 2010 at Bed Bath & Beyond on clearance and then use a coupon

HonoluluMom
12-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks - I played with a Si in the store, and even the salesperson had trouble with opening it. Is there a trick to getting it to lock open? We had to reach down on both sides and push the frame together.

To make sure the frame is locked, I place my hand on the seat bottom and give a good push until the front legs are locked (do a quick visual check to make sure the frame is locked - sorry, hard to explain). I bought my stroller at a specialty baby store and this is how they did it.

npl
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I'll try the seat trick - thanks!
I haven't seen any 2011s yet, but I'm in Canada, so it's different here (and though we have Bed Bath and Beyond, we don't have BBB - I loved that store and miss it!).
I think there are sales on the Si anyway.

npl
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Now I look at it some more, I remember complaints about the basket. Right now, I'm using an umbrella stroller with no basket at all, and I miss it!

sweetsoul99
12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
the basket on the si is enormous!!! you just have to spread out the goods. if you have one single heavy object in it, it drags on the ground a little.

When I tested a 2009 in the store, I didn't feel like it would be considered a 1 hand push. it has a great push, just not what I would consider 1 handed.

I really like my techno xt. i picked it over the lighter mac's b/c of it's giant canopy and larger wheels with suspension. It weighs 17 lbs, which is about the same as the Si. I felt like it was easier to push with 1 hand than the Si. However, the basket is not nearly as easy to access as the Si.

npl
12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I had a predecessor to the Mac Techno - the Opus. It was fine, but I found the handles high, and dh found them low. I've decided not to go with another Mac.

legaleagle
12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I would rule out the valco latitude because the handle, while adjustable, is quite low (36-39"). The fold is harder then the BJCM (but then again, what isn't) but it's about the same size both open and folded and similar weight. The Valco Ion might fit your needs though. http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/08/high-on-ion.html baby gizmo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4x7fbb_t3w

AnnieW625
12-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I really like my techno xt. i picked it over the lighter mac's b/c of it's giant canopy and larger wheels with suspension. It weighs 17 lbs, which is about the same as the Si. I felt like it was easier to push with 1 hand than the Si. However, the basket is not nearly as easy to access as the Si.

My thoughts exactly. My 2006 Triumph does have an awesome folding canopy but those have been discontinued so when I found an amazing deal on a Techno XLR on Ebay I went for it. I love that stroller. The push is very effortless. The only drawback some may find is that the handlebars are high and if you are short that might be kind of an annoyance.

npl
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I have a friend who hates her ion, and said that the store she bought it from said there were a lot of complaints that could not be resolved by CS - I think there were design flaws.
I'm guessing the handlebar on the Lat will probably be too low for dh, though. Wish a local store had one I could try out, but I can't find a local supplier!

Beth24
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
To make sure the frame is locked, I place my hand on the seat bottom and give a good push until the front legs are locked (do a quick visual check to make sure the frame is locked - sorry, hard to explain). I bought my stroller at a specialty baby store and this is how they did it.

I do the same thing...it works fine.

I'll try the seat trick - thanks!
I haven't seen any 2011s yet, but I'm in Canada, so it's different here (and though we have Bed Bath and Beyond, we don't have BBB - I loved that store and miss it!).
I think there are sales on the Si anyway.

Yes, I have seen the 2010's for $200 which is 25% off.

Now I look at it some more, I remember complaints about the basket. Right now, I'm using an umbrella stroller with no basket at all, and I miss it!

The 2010 Si basket is big and easily accesible and does not drag. I think that was a 2009 design problem.

ETA that i think the push is great. My baby is still little but I can push and steer one handed no problem.