PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller dilemma

GoBlue
12-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi all-

I need some help here....I thought I had this all figured out, and then I checked out the BJCMD (with the car seat attachment....yikes!) and now I'm confused.

DD will be 2years and 3 months when DC2 is due to arrive in June. She doesn't love riding in the stroller like she used to, but it clearly way way too little to keep up with the kind of walking we do (we live in downtown Chicago, and we walk a lot, and also do a fair amount of driving, hence the importance of having a Snap-n-Go). Our current fleet is as follows: Graco Snug Rider, Bumbleride Flyer (wanted the reversible feature...haven't used it in awhile, but looking forward to using it on maternity leave), BJCE, Combi Cosmo (for travel), and a hand-me-down Peg Perego Aria double.

Ideally, I'd like to only get ONE more stroller than we can 1. use as a Snap-n-Go with a Graco SungRide 35 (it doesn't fit in the Aria), and also use as a primary neighborhood stroller (when the Snap-n-Go feature isn't important). I thought that the BJCMD would be it, but the car seat adaptor is a bear to attach (and unattach) and the thing is ENORMOUS when you fold it with the adaptor in place.

So......what to do? Is 2.5 years old old enough to be in a sit-n-stand of some variety? I was thinking about the Joovy Ergo Caboose (that way I can strap DD into the front seat for the first 6-9 months, and Snap-n-Go the baby in the back when I have both of them), and then DD will certainly be old enough (at age 3) for the sit-n-stand in the back, and DC2 can go in the front. Anyone like that idea? Or......is 2.5years anywhere near old enough for a HH? Even if we always take 2 strollers from our current fleet whenever DH and I are together, we need something so that one of us can maneuver with both kids independently, preferably with a car seat adaptor.

Other ideas? I thought about looking at the new MB Duet, but I can't find photos of it with a car seat adaptor attached. I even thought of the Combi Cosmo double, but I don't think the Graco fits in there, either. I've been drooling over the BJCS for months, but I think that the seats are so short that DD won't be comfortable in them for more than 10 minutes after we buy it.....

I thought I was very well-versed in strollers, but I seem to have met my match! At the very least, shopping will be fun :yay:

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help you have!!!

arivecchi
12-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Since you live in DT Chicago, I think you need an AT double or a single that converts to a double (like a Phil and Ted's) with air tires for snow and rough terrain.

GoBlue
12-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Which AT double do you think is
1. Lightest, and
2. Easiest to use with a car seat adapter?

I like the car seat adapter on the Bumbleride Flyer, and I assume the Indie twin would be similar. I don't know how that compares for sturdiness, weight, etc. The size of the fold matters, too, unless we somehow end up moving out of our current place (stroller parking is a big problem).

Thanks for the advice!

arivecchi
12-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Hmmm, I don't know which AT double is "light". They are all over 30 pounds AFAIK.

I don't like to use car seats out of the car so I never used a car seat adapter with mine. DS2 was born in January of 09 and we just used the fully reclined seat of our AT double with a snuzzler and a baby carrier in the basket.

We now have a MB Duo which is nice because it has 12 inch air tires and is very narrow (29 inches at the widest point). We leave that open in our garage though.

BTW, pushing two kids gets miserable quickly without air tires! What about the Phil and Ted's Explorer?

AnnieW625
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I would go with a Phil N Ted's. A friend of mine who never had an infant seat for her second child put her in the top seat very early on and put her 2 yr. 4 mos. old older daughter in the bottom part, and still now at 5 (and a little smaller than the average 5 yr old) the older daughter still sits in the bottom seat.

Another friend who used to have a 1 bedroom with a loft had a P&T and was happy with the lack of space it took up. The same friend also had a Vista (which I ended up buying on Craigslist not knowing she was selling hers until I went to buy it) and she loved that stroller and it fit fine in her place too. The Vista now has the rumble seat option which it didn't have then otherwise she has told me that she wouldn't have sold it to me!

With the Vista I have used my carseat adaptor more than I thought I would so it is easy for that, but then the regular seat is also nice and the bassinet is great for the first couple of months.

abh5e8
12-28-2010, 10:54 PM
what P&T does she have? i thought the weight limit on the bottom/back seat was only 33 lbs? and the front was 55lbs? my almost 4 yo dd (small for age) is 34 lbs...and my big just turned 2 yo ds is already 32lbs. so i was really bummed that the back seat only goes to 33 lbs.

otherwise, we love the P&T. the air tires are a must for pushing 2 toddlers (over 60lbs of kiddos) and i appreciate the small foot print.

GoBlue
12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the input....

There is NO WAY that my daughter will agree to get in the back seat of a P&T without sedatives. She might (might) ride in the back of the BJCS, but the fact that she's not an "eager" rider made me think of the Ergo Caboose. I could still wrangle her into the front seat of that one for the time being, and then make her feel like a big girl who gets to sit in the back once we're done with the Snap-n-Go feature. I suppose I could abandon the idea of a Snap-n-Go that can accommodate DD in some capacity, and just go for the BJCMD, which would otherwise be a perfect choice (I know several people IRL who say they're fine for our neighborhood....we don't go trekking in the snow very much). Has anyone had success with a 2.5 year old on a hitchhiker? That was my other idea.....I could get a HH and use it with my Flyer (love the car seat adaptor on that one) or my BJCE for longer walks.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much!!!

arivecchi
12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I did not have luck with the HH with DS1 when he was that young. You could always try it and then get the BJCMD if it does not work, but I am telling you two seats are a must IMO with two toddlers! I guarantee that your older DC will want to sit in the stroller as soon as the baby encroaches on her world. :)

GoBlue
12-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Very possible :) And she'll probably only be happy if she can SEE the baby, so a SBS is likely the right choice....

Anything else beside the BJCMD that you'd entertain?

AnnieW625
12-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the input....

There is NO WAY that my daughter will agree to get in the back seat of a P&T without sedatives. She might (might) ride in the back of the BJCS, but the fact that she's not an "eager" rider made me think of the Ergo Caboose. I could still wrangle her into the front seat of that one for the time being, and then make her feel like a big girl who gets to sit in the back once we're done with the Snap-n-Go feature. I suppose I could abandon the idea of a Snap-n-Go that can accommodate DD in some capacity, and just go for the BJCMD, which would otherwise be a perfect choice (I know several people IRL who say they're fine for our neighborhood....we don't go trekking in the snow very much). Has anyone had success with a 2.5 year old on a hitchhiker? That was my other idea.....I could get a HH and use it with my Flyer (love the car seat adaptor on that one) or my BJCE for longer walks.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much!!!

I would just try a Hitch Hiker with your Flyer and see how it goes and just go from there. WCS you'll need a double once the baby is born and then you can try doubles with both girls.

mrsjde
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
:yeahthat: