PDA

View Full Version : And yet another question...

Tammy
12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
So apparently I have the flu- vomiting and diarrhea today. I've felt sick to my stomach all day and was sick tonight. No fever, still feeling bad though. Is this an automatic call to the doctor? I also had my checkup today and heartbeat was good this afternoon. Since I've been home though, decreased movement in baby but I haven't eaten cause I can't keep anything down. Having Braxton Hicks contractions, but just the tightening and no pain. I hate this wondering feeling and just not knowing what exactly to do.

Snow mom
12-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Your body might be clearing itself out in preparation for labor rather than having the flu. It looks like you are getting pretty close to your EDD. I'd call if you are worried and definitely try to stay hydrated. Hope you feel better soon.

WatchingThemGrow
12-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I'd call if it were me.

gatorsmom
12-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Yep, definitely drink lots of water. You'll need it if you are vomiting and have diarhea. It will help with the BH contractions too.

hillview
12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree it might be prep for labor but I'd call just in case.

Hope you feel better soon!
/hillary

OKKiddo
12-29-2010, 02:45 PM
So apparently I have the flu- vomiting and diarrhea today. I've felt sick to my stomach all day and was sick tonight. No fever, still feeling bad though. Is this an automatic call to the doctor? I also had my checkup today and heartbeat was good this afternoon. Since I've been home though, decreased movement in baby but I haven't eaten cause I can't keep anything down. Having Braxton Hicks contractions, but just the tightening and no pain. I hate this wondering feeling and just not knowing what exactly to do.

I got that horrible stomach flu that was going around. Nausea, vomiting, gas, diarrhea....couldn't keep anything down at all. I had only been vomiting for 12 hours but knew I was pretty dehydrated because it had been a while since my last urine output. I called the Dr's office, told them all the details and was immediately referred to the outpatient side of the hospital for IV fluids (and IV anti nausea meds). I was immediately better afterwards. I know it's a pain to sit there through all of it and know that you're needed at home, but you have to take care of you to take care of the baby. So, definitely call the Dr's office and ask about the IV fluids.

Editing to say that this all happened when I was 22 weeks along (last week). And the Dr's office responded swiftly to prevent the dehydration from getting any worse. My bloodwork came back and showed it had been the right thing to do since all of my levels were well below the normal limits and would have been extremely concerning if I had waited any longer.

MommyAllison
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I would call and find out when they'd want to see you for dehydration. Being dehydrated can put you into labor - you're close enough to your due date that baby should be fine, but who wants to deliver a newborn when you've got stomach flu? I agree that it could be your body preparing for labor, but it seems like there are a ton of stomach viruses flying around right now, and I don't *think* vomiting is a usual part of pre-labor cleanout. I hope you feel better soon!

ETA: Just saw you posted this last night. I hope you're on the mend now!