PDA

View Full Version : Sand table or sandbox???

jgenie
12-29-2010, 03:26 AM
Looking at one of these as a combined birthday gift for DC. DS1 will be 3 and DS2 will be 1. Pros / cons to either a sand table or sandbox? I'm thinking that a sandbox will allow for more vehicle play and the table for more sand toy play. Which type do you have? Does it get much play? TIA

MMMommy
12-29-2010, 03:50 AM
I prefer sand tables. I've always been icked out by sandboxes, but that is b/c I'm paranoid about sand fleas, cat poop/urine, etc. I've always assumed that sand tables have better covers and do a better job of keeping things out of it than sandboxes. But if you can find a sandbox with a tight fitting cover, I think a sandbox would be more fun and hands-on for the kiddies.

jenstring95
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I think it also depends on whether or not you're worried about them making a mess and tracking sand into the house. We have a table, and I think it's probably a bit neater than a box because they aren't sitting in the sand and getting it in their shoes, etc...unless they're dumping it on each other, of course. ;)

The bad thing about the table is I think they are more likely to dump the sand out than in an actual sandbox, since there is not as much area to play. My DC always end up filling cups with sand, but they don't do it over the table, and sand spills out in the grass. Sand is cheap, though, so it's not really a big deal. Just something else to keep in mind!

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Sandtable- less messy. No sand down their pants and such (though it can still happen!). :) They have a sandbox at ds2's school and he comes home with so much sand in his shoes that we have to pour it out when we get home- I'm talking a pile of sand from each shoe.

Beth

KrisM
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
We don't have a sand table, but can't imagine not having a sand box! Ours is 8x8 feet and 5 or 6 kids can play in it at once. They make huge buildings and roads, etc and spend hours in it. Yes, they're messy, but we brush them off before they come in and it's fine.

mnosky1
12-30-2010, 02:47 AM
I vote sand box, water table (not that you asked about water table) ,
You can only use a sandtable for so long - sandboxes can be used for many years - DH and I like to play in the sandbox with DD2, and DD7. I'm hoping to build a huge one this summer. You don't need a tight lid to keep cats out, even a screen or tarp will work.
Sand table is usually more one small kid at a time (unless you get a big preschool kind of one).
I see sandtable as sit it on the deck, play in it 20 minutes with a few toys, sweep up the mess and back inside. Sandbox is an afternoon outside building sand cupcakes, roads, sandcastles, pouring water in, shoes off etc - not much mess because it's out in the yard/under the deck or wherever - no comparison whatsoever to the amount of fun :)

jgenie
12-30-2010, 03:17 AM
I like the idea of the sand table to contain the mess. ;) But I reaaly want them to be able to get outside and enjoy being outside and I think a sandbox would be better for that. I have a flower bed that I want to convert to a sandbox similar to this (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20176015,00.html) (Bob Villa has a great one but the site is down right now.) Who knows when I'll get to that project so grandma is open to getting something as a combined bday gift in the meantime. Any thoughts on which sandbox to buy? I'm thinking the LT turtle because we can fill it with water if we ever get a big sandbox built.

mnosky1
12-30-2010, 03:27 AM
The turtle is pretty small.
They don't make the one I have any more but I've been looking at online plans too - it seems easy - a lot go right in the dirt though and I want a base.

My mom has the Step 2 naturally playful sandbox - it has held up great and is a nice size: http://www.amazon.com/Step-7220KR-Naturally-Playful-Sandbox/dp/B00005U8TE (that amazon price is high though- MSRP is lower). I think you can make it a pool too?

jgenie
12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
The turtle is pretty small.
They don't make the one I have any more but I've been looking at online plans too - it seems easy - a lot go right in the dirt though and I want a base.

My mom has the Step 2 naturally playful sandbox - it has held up great and is a nice size: http://www.amazon.com/Step-7220KR-Naturally-Playful-Sandbox/dp/B00005U8TE (that amazon price is high though- MSRP is lower). I think you can make it a pool too?

Thanks for replying - I looked this one up and TRU has it for $70 with free shipping. Thanks!!!

artvandalay
12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
We have a turtle and I don't like it.

The turtle is small, sand gets in all their clothes, you can only fit one kid in it, there's really no good place to sit, if you live in an area with animals, they could get into it.

So as you can see, I vote sand table. Make sure it has a decent/good fitting cover.