PDA

View Full Version : Uterine Fibroids and ovarian cyst?

mikeys_mom
12-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I have had my Mirena for 1.5 years. My periods never went away but got super light and were basically just a few days of spotting. The past 4 months I have had super heavy, long periods, very irregular cycles and some serious PMS that drags on for up to a week before my period. My Dr had me go for an ultrasound to figure out what is going on.

Turns out I have a uterine fibroid and an ovarian cyst. I am pretty sure I remember hearing about the cyst when I was pregnant with the twins and possibly DD1. I think she said it was small and not a concern. The fibroid is new and I am assuming what is causing all my symptoms. Ultrasounds here are done by technicians and they don't tell you anything. You need to wait until your Dr gets the report. I had the ultrasound done right before we went on vacation so I have not had a chance to discuss the results with my Dr yet. I spoke with the receptionist who gave me the results on the phone and said the Dr wants me to repeat the ulrasound in 1-2 cycles and then come in to discuss the results.

Of course I immediately did some online research to try and get some answers. Seems like an IUD would be a common cure for the symptoms. Since I already have the IUD, it clearly is not sufficient. Other options of treatment mentioned are different drugs or removal of the fibroid.

Has anyone else had fibroids and how did you treat them?

ZeeBaby
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I have uterine fibroids. You can feel free to pm me for info. I had a myomectomy in 2004 and unfortunately the fibroids grew back. Thankfully it didn't stop me from having DDs.

csnoop
12-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I had fibroids before I had kids. I had such heavy periods and breakthrough bleeding in general that I almost had to go in for a blood transfusion. One option was the pill. I forgot which one but I think the hormones in them are stronger than the ones in IUD. I ended up having a myomectomy as well since I wanted to have kids. As far as I can tell (and my OB hasn't told me otherwise), mine has not grown back. They were not big fibroids but were at a bad location in the uterus. Before I had the surgery, OB prescribed me some pill (again, forgot what they were) so that I wouldn't bleed so much so that I can actually have the surgery. Hope all goes well for you! Fibroids are very common, by the way.

CC

pinkmomagain
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
My mom and my sis both had fibroids that were large and both required hysterectomies. My sis had it just this year at 40. I'm sure not all fibroids require this type of surgery. I know they monitored my sister's for a few years before her uterus needed the surgery.

swissair81
12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
My mother had awful fibroids. She would hemorrhage with every period. She had a myomectomy and went on to have a successful pregnancy afterward. I am not sure if they grew back or not.

mikeys_mom
12-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. The uncertainty of what is going on is making me a bit anxious. It is good to hear everyone's positive outcomes and that it does not seem to be that big a deal.

I went to pick up the u/s requisition form from my Dr's office yesterday and saw that she noted on it - "Follow up - left ovarian cyst". Didn't write anything about the fibroid. Strange, because from what I am researching, my symptoms seem to be more in line with fibroids, than a cyst. I have left a message for the Dr and am waiting to hear back. Ugh...I hate waiting for answers.