PDA

View Full Version : Topaz let me down yesterday.

roseyloxs
12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
So yesterday we had to go to chuck e. Cheese for a birthday party. I pushed dd in the topaz to avoid chasing two children(haven't put the bee in the trunk yet). There was no one handed push this time. I was so confused trying figure out what was different. It still had a great two handed push but I couldn't do it one handed.

Later I realized that when I pushed it a couple of weeks ago one handed I had dd fully reclined because she had fallen asleep in the car. Found that pretty interesting.

Does anyone else find the steering different based on their umbrella recline?

purpelina
12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
honestly, (also having just read your other post), I probably would just sell topaz now. Unless you want to keep it for traveling when you don't want to risk the bee being botched by airlines. Yet in that case I probably would find a cheap mac volo on cl (I've seen older ones without canopy for like 25 bucks)

purpelina
12-29-2010, 02:18 PM
wanted to add - I'm feeling my forgotten bee love now! It's a wonderful stroller! I know it's expensive, but it is just very, very, VERY good.
I kind of thought about getting new bee on that sale "for my future children", even though I'm quite all set with 2 dds I already have :wink2:

roseyloxs
12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I have thought about selling the topaz but I wouldn't get back what I paid for it since overstocked has them much cheaper. I plan to bring it to Chicago and leave it with the grandparents. This way if we choose to fly home without a stroller then we will still have one available. Which a necessity since the in-laws always want do something downtown.

purpelina
12-29-2010, 03:04 PM
that's a good plan!

you're good! you only have 2 strollers now, right?:thumbsup:

Bee beets them all :yay:

roseyloxs
12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
that's a good plan!

Only 2 singles. Also have the indie twin for the neighborhood walks and a BJ switchback for jogging and bike rides.

jacksmoma
12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
that's a good plan!

yes bee beats them all by a landslide!! umbrella strollers just don't push the same as a bar handle :)

crl
12-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Very interesting. I have not noticed any difference in push for my Onyx related to recline. Hmm. Dd is only 20 pounds (just 9 months) so maybe if there is a difference it is more obvious at heavier weights?

And I'm sure the Bee is awesome, but at 21 pounds, I'll just take my MB Swift tyvm. ;)

Catherine

adj0913
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I bought a Topaz for travel after reading about them on here. I have to say the Topaz has been great so far. I used it for a week in Disney. Also, I used it in snow today just for the heck of it and was very impressed. I had at least 5 bags hanging from the handlebars along with my baby in it and was able to push it one handed. I was VERY shocked that it was possible. Aesthetically, it's not my favorite, but it really showed off today!

poohbear
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I have thought about selling the topaz but I wouldn't get back what I paid for it since overstocked has them much cheaper. I plan to bring it to Chicago and leave it with the grandparents. This way if we choose to fly home without a stroller then we will still have one available. Which a necessity since the in-laws always want do something downtown.

This is a very good idea. Both sets of grandparents out of town have strollersat their houses. This trip we just took the carseat on the gogo. Made life so much easier!

Multimama
12-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Later I realized that when I pushed it a couple of weeks ago one handed I had dd fully reclined because she had fallen asleep in the car. Found that pretty interesting.

Does anyone else find the steering different based on their umbrella recline?

I remember reading somewhere, probably on StrollerSwap, that SQ has said that the reason Mac's push better is because the seat is further towards the back wheels than it is on other umbrellas. Going off of this, it makes sense to me that a stroller might push better if it was fully reclined. On the other hand, is Chucky Cheese carpeted? I have a lot more trouble steering my Blink on some carpets than on mall-type linoleum or concrete.

Of course, i don't think I am qualified to discuss the push and steering of umbrellas anymore after telling people for ages that my Blink steering had gotten so bad and that it was due to my toddler's increased weight, only to discover that my husband had locked the front wheels. (Insert head vs. wall icon here.)

sweetsoul99
12-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Of course, i don't think I am qualified to discuss the push and steering of umbrellas anymore after telling people for ages that my Blink steering had gotten so bad and that it was due to my toddler's increased weight, only to discover that my husband had locked the front wheels. (Insert head vs. wall icon here.)
:loveeyes:

Hehe, I know I've done that at least once.

roseyloxs
12-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I remember reading somewhere, probably on StrollerSwap, that SQ has said that the reason Mac's push better is because the seat is further towards the back wheels than it is on other umbrellas. Going off of this, it makes sense to me that a stroller might push better if it was fully reclined. On the other hand, is Chucky Cheese carpeted? I have a lot more trouble steering my Blink on some carpets than on mall-type linoleum or concrete.

It was carpeted but it was true for the parking lot too. Haha, I actually checked the front wheels because they have locked up on me before.

salsah
12-31-2010, 12:05 AM
i think it has to do with the center of gravity, or something. in general, the closer the weight is to you, the easier it is to steer. having a lot of weight in the front of the stroller makes it much harder to steer.