PDA

View Full Version : Toys for toddler for when Mom is busy pumping

MacMacMoo
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
If new baby is anything like SqueekMoo, nursing isn't going to work out very well and I'm going to be exclusively pumping for them.

What are some good "mommy is pumping" toys? SqueekMoo will be a month away from 3 years old when the new one comes.

smilequeen
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Well, first to give you hope...I EP'd for my first son and DS2 was a champion nurser. Wouldn't even take a bottle. So, don't feel doomed. I really evaluated what might have led to our difficulties (bad advice from peds esp. and me freaking out about weight gain), insisted on LCs every day in the hospital and saw them consistently afterwards. Kept my computer on kellymom.com all the time :)

Either way, you'll have to keep your oldest occupied. Get a few new "big brother toys" right at the beginning. We did videos, legos, blocks (really anything he could build with). Had a train set set up. Coloring books. I sat on the floor with him and nursed or pumped with one hand free. Evaluate what he's willing to play with now without a lot of interaction from you too.

Good luck!

newg
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
DD1 is 3 in Feb. and I have just recently discovered play dough for her and we both love it! She will literally sit in her high chair for 45 min. playing while I make dinner or take a break with DD2.

I have also started putting her on a large blanket, with a cookie sheet, to play so I can interact with her while I'm with DD2. Again she'll stay there FOR EVER!! I just picked up one of the basic kits at Target that has a few accessories and a few packs of dough.

I also use TV. I have a bunch of PBS and Disney shows on DVR and DD knows she only gets to watch shows (well, normally) when I am feeding DD2 or pumping. The shows are 1/2hr and thats about the perfect amount of time for me to feed DD2 (or pump) and be ready for DD1 again.

Oh, DD1 and I had to use a shield for 13months to make nursing work for us..........and with a little help from a lactation consultant, DD2 and I have had no problems at all. She is a champ at eating.

Good luck!!

kaharris83
12-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Hoping you are successful with DC #2 and nursing. I EP for my 5.5 month old DS and I struggled with keeping him occupied until I got the Baby Signing Time DVD's. He is absolutely riveted to the TV when they're on. Some people have found them at their local library. The Signing Time series is for older kids and I'm sure it's just as good as the Baby Signing Time series.