PDA

View Full Version : Dry cleaned clothes during pregnancy...

Myira
12-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Would you worry about getting your clothes dry cleaned while pregnant since it involves nasty chemicals?

daisymommy
12-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Wether you are pregnant or not, always get your clothes dry cleaned through a cleaner that does not use PERC (short for four different types of chemicals used). Then remove the plastic and let them hang out for a day before wearing.

Inhaling PERC residues off of clothing is not only bad for your health, but can cause miscarriage.

Note: Other names for PERC = perchloroethylene, PCE, perc, tetrachloroethene, perclene, and perchlor.
Several dry cleaners near me advertise with signs in their windows "We do not use PERC" or "PERC Free Dry Cleaning".

Myira
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks daisymommy! Thats a good thing to remember PERC-free. But when they say PERC-free, I would still be worried what else they'll be using. Not asking for myself, but a friend who is pregnant and wanted to get her winter coat dry cleaned.

DrSally
12-30-2010, 12:20 AM
I try to unwrap and hang my drycleaning in the garage for a day before bringing it in. I don't think my cleaner uses PERC, but it still smells.

daisymommy
12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Personally, in all reality, I avoid ever getting my clothes dry cleaned. But I know for some people (such as those who have to wear suits to work everyday), this just isn't possible. That's why I suggested at least you can avoid the worst of the chemicals. But in the case of the coat--I would just skip the cleaning it if it were me. But I am one who avoids anything when possible, especially when pregnant.

indigo99
01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah. Why take a chance? Might be a good excuse to buy a new coat even :)

The perc-free cleaner here was going to charge some ridiculous amount to clean my coat (almost as much as I paid for it) so I used the traditional cleaner. Big mistake. It actually doesn't smell, but it gives me a rash. I had to go buy a new coat anyway.

pampers37
01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
great info