PDA

View Full Version : Holiday and seasonal storage

KrisM
12-30-2010, 12:27 AM
How do you store holiday items? I have bins and while I was getting out Christmas ornaments, I discovered my fall bin. Oops. I thought I had Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff somewhere! The bin was labeled, but they're all stored out-of-the-way in the garage, so I just didn't think. I was thinking I need to get an orange bin so maybe I'd notice it next year.

Also, I packed up ornaments and bought new storage cases this year. I bought the ones for ornaments with 2 or 3 layers that snap together. I skipped the carboard inserts and just used tissue to wrap things. I have a layer for each kid and then 2 layers for others. Is there a better way?

How do you keep things organized enough to find them when the right season or holiday comes around?

traciann
12-30-2010, 12:50 AM
I have a ref and green large tub for all my christmas stuff. I have another one that holds our three singing snowman from Hallmark. This year I just bought the divided ornament boxes for my glass balls and other misc ornaments. The boxes/packaging that they were in were just falling apart. I am hoping that with moving the ornaments out of my gree/red tub that I will have room for the snowmen stuff. I would like to have as few as possible.

The rest of my seasonal stuff is in one box together, since I don't really have too many other seasonal items. Yet! :)

american_mama
12-30-2010, 12:56 AM
For anyone who is tempted to buy the ornament storage boxes, here's a very cheap alternative with some advantages. Take an empty case of beer, which comes with dividers and two layers already, and use it. You will be able to hold at least as many ornaments as bottles, and if the ornaments aren't breakable or are wrapped, you can fit more than one in a section. I used an empty case of bottled beer; beer cans or a case of soda might also work. I covered mine in white contact paper to get ride of the beer logos and make the label stand out. As I recall, this has the advantage of being much more compact than the plastic ornament storage boxes.

If you don't have colored storage boxes, you can print a big label out of 8.5 x 11 paper in an appropriate color. Tape it wherever it will be seen, or print several and tape them on multiple sides of the box.

I also have a seasonal storage area and shelves in my basement where I group all seasonal things (coolers, boogie boards, sleds, porch ornaments, Halloween stuff). I do keep the Christmas stuff in a separate set of shelves because that's where it fits.

Lastly, I don't have a lot. Two boxes of Christmas stuff and holding. Just random odds and ends for other seasons.

KrisM
12-30-2010, 01:50 AM
I like the colored labels and will do that for sure!

I don't have much, and I got rid of a bunch of unused Christmas stuff this year. But, the kids often make something I'd like to keep for a season or holiday and I stick it in the right bin. Plus, my parents give each kid an ornament each year. So, we're gaining for sure, as I'll keep all the ornaments for them.

MommyAllison
12-30-2010, 04:37 AM
I have a ref and green large tub for all my christmas stuff.

<snip>

The rest of my seasonal stuff is in one box together, since I don't really have too many other seasonal items.

:yeahthat: Except I am now up to 4 red & green Christmas bins, mostly because of outdoor lights and the kids Little People nativity sets still in original boxes.

For ornaments, I keep them in original boxes if they had them, wrap the rest in tissue and put all of them in one bin together, with lists for each kid, as well as mine from childhood. List includes year received, who gave it, and physical description of ornament.

Having color-coded storage bins has been super helpful for me!

lhafer
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I bought 4 large bins with green lids and red handles on sale at Target for $12/each. I put all the ornaments (in their original boxes), tinsel, mantle stuff, etc in there. All the lights went in one of the bins as well. I have a box for the tree. I got a wreath box on sale at Target for $6. I have a huge cubby in my master closet where I keep all that stored. I have a separate bin for my halloween stuff. I have accumulated a lot for fall/halloween/thanksgiving yet. I am hoping my stash grows!!

niccig
12-31-2010, 02:39 AM
We have different coloured totes. Orange for halloween, purple for Easter and red/green for Christmas. All our decorations are stored in a basement area that you access by a ladder. DH is the only one that goes down there, and he wanted the coloured boxes to make it easier for him. But, when I need to buy another one, there not at Target - so if you go this route, know you might have to wait to get more when you need them. I need one more orange tote.