PDA

View Full Version : is this a good deal?

Avispa
12-30-2010, 01:10 PM
DD2 was born 10 days ago, and DD1 will turn 2 in a week. I'm considering different stroller options and I'm not in a rush (I can get around with our current single + ergo carrier for now), but hoping to get an inline double that can be turned into a single when needed at some point down the road. We use our stroller mainly to go to the neighborhood park, the grocery store, and other places around the neighborhood (usually not much more than 1 or a couple of hours outings, great majority of the time on paved surfaces). I don't have a huge budget, so I'm looking in the secondhand market to find a good deal.

The P&T explorer is one of the options I am considering. I just spotted one on CL for $350 with the double kit. The ad says it is 7 yrs old, but has been used only for 2 yrs. So first, is this a decent deal (on the picts it looks in pretty good shape)? Second, is that 7 yr old model very different from the current 2010 model? What would I be missing?

TIA!

roseyloxs
12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I am not a P&T expert but the explorer is brand new so the ad is wrong. I would guess its a sport or e3 but as I said I am no expert. It's worth checking out but that price is way too high for a 7 year old stroller. If anything breaks I have no idea how hard it would be to find replacement pieces. If you can find out the real model I would call P&T's CS and find out if the still have wheels, etc available.

Avispa
12-30-2010, 05:24 PM
ok, that confirms what I thought. I think it's pretty lame that someone would advertise an older stroller as a newer model...

poohbear
12-31-2010, 12:34 AM
DD2 was born 10 days ago, and DD1 will turn 2 in a week. I'm considering different stroller options and I'm not in a rush (I can get around with our current single + ergo carrier for now), but hoping to get an inline double that can be turned into a single when needed at some point down the road. We use our stroller mainly to go to the neighborhood park, the grocery store, and other places around the neighborhood (usually not much more than 1 or a couple of hours outings, great majority of the time on paved surfaces). I don't have a huge budget, so I'm looking in the secondhand market to find a good deal.

The P&T explorer is one of the options I am considering. I just spotted one on CL for $350 with the double kit. The ad says it is 7 yrs old, but has been used only for 2 yrs. So first, is this a decent deal (on the picts it looks in pretty good shape)? Second, is that 7 yr old model very different from the current 2010 model? What would I be missing?

TIA!

The original was called an explorer I believe. And that is a TERRIBLE deal. I sold my like new 2009 P&T Sport with doubles kit still in the box for $375. FWIW, someone on Strollerswap is selling their like new explorer. I don't remember how much, but I believe it was fairly reasonable.

As for the differences - the sport which I had was a nice stroller but the main isues I had were the canopy (awful) and brake (difficult to engage and disengage). I believe the new explorer has fixed both of these...

Avispa
12-31-2010, 02:59 AM
Thanks. I'll pass on this one and wait for a newer model then.

The original was called an explorer I believe. And that is a TERRIBLE deal. I sold my like new 2009 P&T Sport with doubles kit still in the box for $375. FWIW, someone on Strollerswap is selling their like new explorer. I don't remember how much, but I believe it was fairly reasonable.

As for the differences - the sport which I had was a nice stroller but the main isues I had were the canopy (awful) and brake (difficult to engage and disengage). I believe the new explorer has fixed both of these...

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2010, 07:56 AM
I think they are really new - like less than 6 mos old. It's not very likely you'll find one. A friend just got one at BBB by signing up for their emails and noticing that P&T was not an excluded brand on that coupon. Not sure if that was the very best deal, but she got it.

Congrats on your new LO!!!

poohbear
12-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I think the albee baby 15% off code works...

Avispa
12-31-2010, 01:05 PM
thanks for the tip, I'll look into this. I guess there's not much chance that the P&T explorer will be on sale anywhere over the next 6 months since it is really new, so 15% off is probably the best I'll do.

thanks everyone for the help and advice!

I think they are really new - like less than 6 mos old. It's not very likely you'll find one. A friend just got one at BBB by signing up for their emails and noticing that P&T was not an excluded brand on that coupon. Not sure if that was the very best deal, but she got it.

Congrats on your new LO!!!

nmstrong
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
The original phil and teds kiwi explorer (from new zealand) is actually an amazing stroller (but very old school) not a lot of bells and whistles. it looks like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220679309807
both the seats are HUGE!!! they will easily fit 2 super tall kids. the canopy stinks but the push is nice. i would spend around 200$ for an exc used one with the doubles kit. it is very hard to find replacement parts for it.
the new explorer just came out this year. the sun canopy is huge and has an extra pop out sunshade. it is a follow the sun canopy so it goes down. the doubles kit has a canopy now. and the foot break is an easy one click foot break. They have actually made a lot more improvements than that, those are just the ones that affected me so I remember then.