PDA

View Full Version : Flylady ?

BabyH
12-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Where do I begin?! I signed up for her emails and it says "Just jump in" but I'm confused..... and my sink is white porcelain so I can't shine it like she wants me to, lol. Any loyal followers who can give me a hint? I like her style and I know it will work. I just need my hand held. (I have cleaning ADD ;) )

jgenie
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
She just means to start where you are. Don't try to clean out your closets to get ready just set up a morning routine and a night routine and start being consistent with those to make them habits. If you're up for more start tackling the projects that come in her emails one project at a time. GL

DebbieJ
12-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Try this:

http://www.flylady.net/pages/begin_babysteps.asp

salsah
12-31-2010, 12:54 AM
i could never get into flylady. she lost me when she said that i had to dry my sink. it's just going to get wet again. sorry, but i have way too many other things to do. it can air dry. my sink looks fine, and i'm a bit (a lot, according to dh) ocd.
and was it flylady who suggested that dirty dishes go under the sink, not in the sink? aside from the fact that i don't have space under my sink, it just seems like more work. besides, isn't that what the sink is for -- dirty dishes? sure there are times when i need the sink to be empty, but i deal with it when it happens.

i created my own routine that works for me. i started with small goals and then added each week. first week, i decided to make my bed every morning, before i leave my room. the next week, i decided that after making my bed, before heading to the kitchen, i would drop off a load of laundry in the machine and turn it on. i also have a laundry schedule (certain things on certain days) so that i don't have to think about it each day and nothing gets forgotten.

i think it is similar to fly lady, but it's my own schedule of my own tasks. might not be as efficient as fly lady, but since it is my own, it is easier for me to stick to it.

salsah
12-31-2010, 01:07 AM
hang on, i think i might be confusing flylady with something else. motivated moms? is that something? i don't know, i can't remember. but i know that fly lady lost me with the drying the sink thing.

wellyes
12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't do FlyLady but I really like the whole idea behind it of making routines rather than chores.

Here's my very customized version... make a list with homemade "checkboxes" next to each item:

- 5 things to do every morning (make bed, empty dishwasher, etc)
- 15 minute cleanup at any point during the day (put a timer on and clean anything for 15 minutes straight, then you're done for the day)
- 5 item declutter (could be anything, clothes, mail, your junk drawer...)
- 5 things to do every evening (empty trash cans, all toys put away, program coffeemaker, etc.
)
It works for me.

brittone2
12-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Dh and I have been using Motivated Moms since October and have really liked it. It is more pared down than Flylady, which for me is a better balance.

DH has expressed his love of it because he can always look at the list and see what needs done. He feels this is very helpful in terms of him knowing what he can do in the evenings when I'm busy getting DD and DS2 to bed, etc.

salsah
01-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Dh and I have been using Motivated Moms since October and have really liked it. It is more pared down than Flylady, which for me is a better balance.

DH has expressed his love of it because he can always look at the list and see what needs done. He feels this is very helpful in terms of him knowing what he can do in the evenings when I'm busy getting DD and DS2 to bed, etc.

:bighand: for your DH.

brittone2
01-01-2011, 03:07 PM
:bighand: for your DH.

Yeah, he's usually a huge, huge help but the list makes it easier to communicate what needs to be done so we are more in sync. I also don't feel like I'm nagging because he looks at the list on his own. He just told me to go ahead and order the full year for this year. We started in October and it was only like $2 prorated for the balance of 2010 at that point. It was nice to try it first.

It isn't the type of plan that will keep your house spotless, but I find it helpful and we do more than the list calls for as needed (when we can).

brittone2
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I just signed up for the new year of Motivated Moms and used the code NEWYEAR (I think good through 1/14/2011) for $1 off. Brings the cost down to $7. You can choose from a variety of formats (page per day, page per week, half page formats, etc.)

BabyH
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll try the Motivated Moms first... and since there's an iphone app - it's already calling my name ;)

ellies mom
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I bought an app that is loosely based on Flylady called Home Routine. It has morning, evening, weekly chores as well as zones and a 15 minute timer. It is really customizable. For example, you can change the number of zones, what rooms are in each zones and the tasks. You can also customize the other chores as well. It also has a to-do list and daily notes but I don't use them as much.

The flylady stuff that works for me was keeping my sink empty (not dry, that is just silly). I run the dishwasher before I go to bed and unload it first thing in the morning. Then everything either goes in the dishwasher or gets washed. For me, I've found that once 2-3 dishes hit the sink or counter, they multiply and everything falls apart. I've also found that the hotspot concept is the same way. If I let thing pile up on my dining room table or the main part of my counter, it's all over. I also love the 15 minute timer, 5 minute room rescue and 27 fling boogie.

What did not work for me was the vast number of e-mails that went out every day. I started tuning them out. The reason I like the app is because I could add the extra Flylady stuff that I like to my daily chores and skip the e-mails.

I do have to admit that I did lapse for quite awhile while I was in school and have just started picking it up again. I did try Motivated Moms for a bit but it really didn't work out right for my needs. I should check out the app.

Speaking of which I really need to spend some time in my focus zone. Sigh...

BabyH
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I bought an app that is loosely based on Flylady called Home Routine. It has morning, evening, weekly chores as well as zones and a 15 minute timer. It is really customizable. For example, you can change the number of zones, what rooms are in each zones and the tasks. You can also customize the other chores as well. It also has a to-do list and daily notes but I don't use them as much.

The flylady stuff that works for me was keeping my sink empty (not dry, that is just silly). I run the dishwasher before I go to bed and unload it first thing in the morning. Then everything either goes in the dishwasher or gets washed. For me, I've found that once 2-3 dishes hit the sink or counter, they multiply and everything falls apart. I've also found that the hotspot concept is the same way. If I let thing pile up on my dining room table or the main part of my counter, it's all over. I also love the 15 minute timer, 5 minute room rescue and 27 fling boogie.

What did not work for me was the vast number of e-mails that went out every day. I started tuning them out. The reason I like the app is because I could add the extra Flylady stuff that I like to my daily chores and skip the e-mails.

I do have to admit that I did lapse for quite awhile while I was in school and have just started picking it up again. I did try Motivated Moms for a bit but it really didn't work out right for my needs. I should check out the app.

Hmm. Is it called Home Routine? I'm trying to find it but I'm not getting anything.... is it an iphone app?

BabyH
01-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Hmm. Is it called Home Routine? I'm trying to find it but I'm not getting anything.... is it an iphone app?

Nevermind! Found it! Downloading it now......