PDA

View Full Version : Are sleep positioners and bumpers for cribs safe?

Rio girl
12-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if a sleep positioner is needed for my twins if they are sleeping in the same bassinet? Or should I separate them with something like a crib separator?

Also, are crib bumpers safe? Not sure if it's recommended to buy a crib bumper for infants? Please advise.....:wink2:

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
No, not really. The bumpers and the positioners pose suffocation risks as well as blocking the flow of fresh air around baby. When the fresh air is blocked the air gets off balance with higher levels of CO2. Breathable, mesh bumpers are a nice option though because they keep baby(ies) secure in the crib, contain pacifiers...but the air can move.

Beth

twowhat?
12-31-2010, 05:09 PM
No bumper needed. And our twins were happier when they could be right next to each other, so no separator needed. And if your babies like to be swaddled, they won't be moving around much anyway. For the first several weeks ours slept swaddled, side-by-side.

Rio girl
12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Thank you! So should I get a breathable bumper for both cribs?

Also, did you use a sleep positioner for your twins?

I appreciate the advise. I'm on the fence about it!

Happy New Year!:wink2:

twowhat?
12-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you! So should I get a breathable bumper for both cribs?

Also, did you use a sleep positioner for your twins?

I appreciate the advise. I'm on the fence about it!

Happy New Year!:wink2:

We used breathable bumpers for the crib to help keeps legs/arms from getting stuck at night.

We never used sleep positioners, but did use a reflux wedge which they slept better in for naps since all infants by definition have some level of reflux - I know lots of ppl love the Nap Nanny which is very similar - this might be worth having, but only use it for naps.

HIU8
12-31-2010, 07:57 PM
FWIW, I used a sleep positioner with DS. It ended up giving him a flat head that we had to correct right away by taking it out of his crib and altering his position at every nap and nights sleep for MONTHS. I would not use any type of sleep positioner at all. I didn't use one for DD. She was able to move around better and no issues with flat head at all.

twowhat?
12-31-2010, 11:49 PM
FWIW, I used a sleep positioner with DS. It ended up giving him a flat head that we had to correct right away by taking it out of his crib and altering his position at every nap and nights sleep for MONTHS. I would not use any type of sleep positioner at all. I didn't use one for DD. She was able to move around better and no issues with flat head at all.

This is a very good point and just to let you know in advance - multiples are at higher risk for torticollis and plagiocephaly due to space restriction in the womb. Both of ours had it and required helmets. Anything you can do to encourage your babies to turn their heads equally in both directions, and to limit the amount of time spent in car seats, chairs, swings, etc will help.

Rio girl
01-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Thank you so much for the advise!:wink2: