PDA

View Full Version : DS was denied life insurance

Gena
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
When my brother and I were kids, our parents got us whole life insurance policies. It was a good investment, since the policy earns cash value, which we each found helpful in our adult lives.

I wanted to do the same for DS, both as an investment and to protect his future insurability. The application was denied because of his autism. I'm not shocked since I had heard from other families that this could happen. Still, I'm very disappointed.

The company has no problem with his asthma or albinism, just the autism. But autism has no effect on his life expectancy, so it really doesn't make sense to me.

LexyLou
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry. It really sucks. I can't get life insurance either because I have Multiple Sclerosis. MS is not considered a deadly disease but I guess because you can die from complications due to MS, they deny me.

Very frustrating since I'm very healthy otherwise. I'm a fitness instructor who eats well, but nope. Nada.

You can contact other agents. I'm sure there is a company out there somewhere who will insure him, although the premium might not make it worth it.

snowbunnies300
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I am sorry that you were denied insurance coverage for your DS. It is just another time were special needs kids get the short end of the stick and another time where the parents get another gut check that life for their child is different.

Insurance companies have heard too many stories of ASD kids running off, drowning in pools/lakes etc for them to want to insure them. To the insurance companies an ASD kid is a huge risk. I wonder if there are insurance companies out there that just deal with special needs children? If not I wish there were. We parents have enough to deal with on a daily basis than adding to the mix.