PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Feng Shui?

boogiemomz
12-31-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm just wondering about this... thinking about spending some B&N store credit on a feng shui book. I've always thought it was just hooey, without knowing much about it, but a friend of mine who is a beautiful home decorator (not professionally, she just has a great eye for that kind of thing), buys into it to some degree. I often feel like my home is just really disjointed and prone to clutter, partly due to my own messiness, I know, but sometimes I wonder if a change from the ground up would make a difference.

Are you into feng shui? What's your experience with it? Any good books I should check out?

edurnemk
12-31-2010, 06:18 PM
I've done some Feng Shui in my home, I have a couple of books, but my aunt who is really into it and swears by it, recommended this one (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Guide-Feng-Shui-Environment/dp/1561703249/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293833650&sr=1-5).

A lot of it is pretty common sense, it's not that important to use the traditional symbols (since they don't carry the same meaning to you). The most important things I've taken from it are decluttering, getting rid of things you don't need and arranging furniture in a more harmonious way. I do feel our house looks more inviting using that layout. Some rules are hard to apply, I don't do it 100% by the book.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, maybe i can help you out.

mezzona
12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
I've read a little on it and I know someone who practiced it extensively (he seriously had 8 defined planes in his office). To me, it's a little common sense, to help create a space that makes you feel comfortable. I basically use it help with the placement of furniture and decor.

tiapam
01-03-2011, 02:00 AM
I really like Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui by Karen Kingston

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Your-Clutter-Feng-Shui/dp/0767903595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294034221&sr=1-1-spell

I bought this so I could keep rereading it for inspiration while trying to declutter. As for decor, etc., I do try to use the basic principles, like being able to see the door from your bed. Now if I could just keep a houseplant alive!

boogiemomz
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
I really like Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui by Karen Kingston

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Your-Clutter-Feng-Shui/dp/0767903595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294034221&sr=1-1-spell

I bought this so I could keep rereading it for inspiration while trying to declutter. As for decor, etc., I do try to use the basic principles, like being able to see the door from your bed. Now if I could just keep a houseplant alive!

That is the book I've seen here and there but have never bought. I might have to check it out once and for all! I really just need to know basic things like the one you stated, just to have a starting point in organizing/decorating.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

tiapam
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
That is the book I've seen here and there but have never bought. I might have to check it out once and for all! I really just need to know basic things like the one you stated, just to have a starting point in organizing/decorating.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I don't think that book gets into decorating as much, but it is really helpful/inspiring with the clutter. The thing about the bed is something I have seen many times in reading about feng shui. It makes sense to me because it is really about feeling secure.