PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a stroller and need input

sf333
01-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm looking for a double stroller for my 32 month old and 6 month old. I'll be using it indoors (mall, groceries, etc) and outdoors (walking on dirt roads, the zoo, fairs). I live on a road that is unsafe for walking so every time I use it, I'll be loading into the car (an SUV). My older child is about 36-37" tall and I anticipate he'll be riding for a while so I need something that will accomadate him for some time. I really don't want a side-by-side because I will be using it in tight spaces and because my son won't be riding forever so I'd like it to be able to convert to a single.

So, I've been doing research, lots of it, and I had it narrowed to the P&T Explorer and BJCS. I went to BBB yesterday and tried out each. I loved the BJCS but my son just doesn't have much room in it. On the P&T, he is comfy and I loved the size...but I'm still not in love with the 2nd seat. Not only do I want the room in the basket, but I had a hard time getting my 6 mo old in (although I imagine it would get easier with use).

Based on what I'm looking for, is the Explorer really my only option? Will I like it better with use?

jacksmoma
01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
i would not go with either! i had an explorer and it was super heavy and hard to load into the car. bjcs has tiny tiny seats and it's not good for outdoors with those tiny front wheels. i would go double bob (only 31 lbs!) or bjcmd (26 lbs) but the bjcmd will not push very well outside. i know in lines look nice and narrow but there are just too many trade offs like crappy push and small seats. bob duallie rocks for everything!

roseyloxs
01-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Britax b-ready is another option. Going to be just as large and heavy as the other two. The vista has a rumble seat but I think the seats are smaller. There are other P&T options that may be more car friendly then the explorer but you would have to give up air tires. Have you considered getting a single and using a baby carrier for your youngest? You can take advantage of the BOB sales popping up. You can add a board once your oldest is old enough. You can wear your youngest on your back until then with a good carrier like Beco or Ergo. Your oldest can also hop in the footwell of the BOB for short rides as well.

legaleagle
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Are the 2011 bjcs seats bigger? I seem to recall reading something about the seats changing.

There's also the Mountain Buggy Plus One though I don't know if it has a release date yet, and the MB Duet which is later in the spring. http://mountainbuggy.com/en/buggies/double-buggies/-one

PeppyParents
01-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Are the 2011 bjcs seats bigger? I seem to recall reading something about the seats changing.

There's also the Mountain Buggy Plus One though I don't know if it has a release date yet, and the MB Duet which is later in the spring. http://mountainbuggy.com/en/buggies/double-buggies/-one

Hi,

The 2011 BJCS seats are one-inch deeper in the seat with better support, but headroom and width remains the same... so still not the best choice for older toddler or young preschooler.

The MB Plus One may be an interesting option. It's like a "stretch limo" Urban single with about half a foot added to length. It'll be a tight fit for two, but it acts like a single, doesn't sacrifice storage, and has good overall handling. Supposed to be out in Jan/Feb.

Duet wouldn't be a good choice for older child. It's going to be more compact.

I agree with jacksmomma that if there's any way to go with a side-by-side, that opens up the best options (and many of good ones)!

HTH!

sf333
01-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies!

jacksmoma - I'd like to stay away from a side-by-side because my son will outgrow the need to ride before my daughter and I don't want to push a double once that happens.

roseylox - I do wear my baby at times (I have an Ergo and Beco) but I'd like the option for them both to be able to ride. And, if it's for an extended time - like a day at the zoo - then I want them both to be comfortable.

legaleagle - The seats on the 2011 BJCS are going to be bigger, but only by an inch and IIRC, it's only on the seat, not the seat back (i.e. the seat height doesn't change). That MB Plus One looks great - any idea when it comes out?

arivecchi
01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
The in-line strollers are not good for older toddlers - especially the BJCS which has really small seats. I would do a side by side or a regular stroller with a toddler board.

sf333
01-01-2011, 05:21 PM
The in-line strollers are not good for older toddlers - especially the BJCS which has really small seats. I would do a side by side or a regular stroller with a toddler board.

There are no good in-line strollers for older toddlers? I have a friend with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and she loves her P&T classic. I really don't want to do a side-by-side because of the width and because my toddler doesn't always want/need to ride. And I can see a toddler board being a good solution for short trips, but for longer trips or when I need him strapped in, I want an actual seat for him. Do you have any ideas with this criteria in mind?

jacksmoma
01-01-2011, 05:41 PM
the plus one reminds me of using my bjcm with two in the seat with the seat reclined! funny!

mariza
01-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I had. P&T but sold it when DS reached 35 lbs at the age of 3. His head went over the top of the seat too and was uncomfortable. I got a Bob Duallie to take it's place. Their heads do go over the Bobs seatback, but at least there is no metal bar on the top like the Phil and Teds. I use the bob to take the dog for walks and make the kids sit so they don't slow down my pace.
I like my Phil and Teds but found I still wanted a stroller for my older kids and nothing can handle bigger kids like a Bob IMHO. I don't have experience with the mbud though I know there are lots of fans here.

arivecchi
01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
There are no good in-line strollers for older toddlers? I have a friend with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and she loves her P&T classic. I really don't want to do a side-by-side because of the width and because my toddler doesn't always want/need to ride. And I can see a toddler board being a good solution for short trips, but for longer trips or when I need him strapped in, I want an actual seat for him. Do you have any ideas with this criteria in mind? My now 4 yo did not really fit well in any of the in-lines. He was way too tall for them. We ended up with a MB Duo for outdoors and a MB Swift with Valco Hitch Hiker for indoors. He sits down on the HH and places his feet in the basket when he is tired. He is 42 inches tall.

sf333
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I had. P&T but sold it when DS reached 35 lbs at the age of 3. His head went over the top of the seat too and was uncomfortable. I got a Bob Duallie to take it's place. Their heads do go over the Bobs seatback, but at least there is no metal bar on the top like the Phil and Teds. I use the bob to take the dog for walks and make the kids sit so they don't slow down my pace.
I like my Phil and Teds but found I still wanted a stroller for my older kids and nothing can handle bigger kids like a Bob IMHO. I don't have experience with the mbud though I know there are lots of fans here.

What is the mbud? Mountain Buggy Duo? Sorry, I'm not very stroller savvy.

After reading all your responses, I'm now thinking that I should consider a side-by-side. :) My biggest concern is navigating through stores and narrow aisles. Which are the most narrow? And I see that there are different BOB duallies - what are the differences? Thanks again!