PDA

View Full Version : help with single for 1st time Mom (friend of mine)

elismummy
01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi ladies,
So here is the story. I have a very dear friend who is going to be having her first baby in March. I would like to buy her her first stroller (she had registered for a horrifying Eddie Bauer travel system which I nixed!), but am not sure what the best option for her is. They live in the suburbs, may do some walks outside, but are not a really active couple. Probably mostly in and out of the car, malls, shopping, etc. She drives a Toyota Corolla 2001-ish. I am thinking of spending ~$300. It does need to be carseat compatible (adaptor is fine as long as it is reasonably easy for her, preferable that it folds with the adaptor on).

I was thinking:
1. BJCM with adaptor
2. Bob Revo with adaptor

are there other carseat compatible options for her in that price range that would be manageable for a stroller newbie first time Mom?

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kati

poohbear
01-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I have both a bob and a bjcm and it sounds like for your friends lifestyle the bjcm would work great.

swrc00
01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
A friend of mine just told me the 2011 BJCM now comes with the adaptor and the back support. I think that would be a great choice.

toystorymama
01-01-2011, 08:14 PM
BJCM for sure. The Bob sounds like more stroller than your friend needs for her lifestyle and it's a pretty big stroller.

AshleyAnn
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Consider the Graco Mosaic or Metrolite. I had the Mosaic when DD was under one and loved it. It has an umbrella fold and it very light for a travel system stroller. I know this forum is typically anti-graco but the mosaic is nothing like the other graco strollers.

poohbear
01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
A friend of mine just told me the 2011 BJCM now comes with the adaptor and the back support. I think that would be a great choice.

The car seat adapter is still an extra accessory however the pe board and upright strap now come standard.

jacksmoma
01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
sounds like bjcm would be best if she does not walk outside a lot- i was not much for walking till i had my babies though as it's a great way to keep sanity when you stay at home! she can always add a bob later if she wants it too and use bjcm for the car :)

laughlearn
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Sounds like BJCM would best fit her needs!

crl
01-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Bobs don't recline flat, do they? I would choose a stroller with enough recline for a newborn, even if she plans to use the car seat adapter sometimes, it would be good to have the option not to since too much time in a carseat isn't good for infants.

I don't have any personal experience with the BJCM, but it sounds like a good match.

What a great friend you are!
Catherine

swrc00
01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for clarifying about the adaptor.

elismummy
01-02-2011, 09:43 AM
yeah, my husband seems to think the bjcm will be a better fit for them too (he bears with me through all the stroller craziness), just easier all around.

Is there anything else in this class that we should be considering?

roseyloxs
01-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Do you think she would appreciate a reversible feature that the First Years indigo or wave could provide?

elismummy
01-02-2011, 12:34 PM
yeah, reversible would be awesome. . . will check out the first years indigo and wave. . .how are the ease/push etc on those? Also, are they carseat compatible?

roseyloxs
01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
They both take car seats with included adapters. I have not personally pushed either but there are quite a few indigo owners on the board so maybe one of them can chime in.

roseyloxs
01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
They both have baby gizmo video reviews too if you want to see them in action.

strollerqueen
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi ladies,
So here is the story. I have a very dear friend who is going to be having her first baby in March. I would like to buy her her first stroller (she had registered for a horrifying Eddie Bauer travel system which I nixed!), but am not sure what the best option for her is. They live in the suburbs, may do some walks outside, but are not a really active couple. Probably mostly in and out of the car, malls, shopping, etc. She drives a Toyota Corolla 2001-ish. I am thinking of spending ~$300. It does need to be carseat compatible (adaptor is fine as long as it is reasonably easy for her, preferable that it folds with the adaptor on).

I was thinking:
1. BJCM with adaptor
2. Bob Revo with adaptor

are there other carseat compatible options for her in that price range that would be manageable for a stroller newbie first time Mom?

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kati

You could also check out a Zooper Waltz. I really like the newer models.