PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Sonic and Mario at the Winter Olympics?

sidmand
01-01-2011, 09:27 PM
DS really loves Sonic and I think he would really like Sonic Colors for the Wii but we've tried two different discs and they won't get past the opening screen because they think we're playing with a Gamecube controller (I am going to try going to Gamestop and see if they can help but I'm not too hopeful!).

Not sure I'll be able to exchange it one for one but I was trying to find another game DS might like. He really likes Mario Kart (finally!) but I don't want to get the Sonic racing one 'cause I think it's too similar. It sounds like Sonic and Mario at the Olympics might be a good choice. Anyone have it for a 5 yo? Any other suggestions? He doesn't know Kirby...that was another one I was thinking of though. He REALLY likes Mario Kart now but I'd like to try and get something instead of the Sonic one he'd like too.

KathyN115
01-01-2011, 10:08 PM
We have the summer olympics version. It is really fun, for the adults and also for 4.5 yr old DD. We like Mario Kart too!

bubbaray
01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
It is on its way to me. Will post a review next week.

FWIW, my 6.5 yo LOVES LOVES LOVES We Ski (http://www.amazon.com/We-Ski-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0015HZLUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1293935431&sr=8-1). In fact, the whole family loves it. Even my DH (Warren Miller wannabe). Just Dance 2 is also a lot of fun for the whole family.

smilequeen
01-02-2011, 12:42 AM
We have both of the Olympic games. DS1 loves them for sure. He didn't really know Kirby either, but the game is pretty kid friendly and he liked it a lot, but the Olympic games are longer lasting. The Kirby game, he finished it and he was done.

willow33
01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Debbie - we also bought Sonic Colors and we had no issues playing it on our Wii. It never asked about the Gamecube controller at all. Sounds like there is something strange going on with yours. Have you tried updating your Wii?

sidmand
01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Debbie - we also bought Sonic Colors and we had no issues playing it on our Wii. It never asked about the Gamecube controller at all. Sounds like there is something strange going on with yours. Have you tried updating your Wii?

It doesn't seem like a very common problem at all! I did find one other instance of someone who had similar issues but couldn't seem to resolve it. The guy at Gamestop was great and let me exchange our game one for one even though it wasn't bought there and we had the same issues with the new disc so it's definitely something going on with our Wii. I did just update things because we put Netflix streaming on there and some games wanted to update the system but I'm not sure if there is something else we should update? I know when we exit it asks about resetting but when it said "reset the software" that scared me about any Netflix, etc. updates.

Today I realized that we had a USB attachment for EA Active Sports 2 and maybe that was interfering (I was hoping!) but I removed that and nothing. It has to be something with our system (we got it last Christmas) but I don't know what!? I did purchase a cheap Gamecube controller on eBay in the hopes that somehow that'll be recognized and we can get past that screen...that, going back to Gamestop, and my sitter (who knows Wii!) comes in a couple of weeks and after that I'm just giving up. Everyone seems to love the game and I wish I could get it to work and I wish I knew what was wrong! Maybe I just try and hit reset and if worse comes to worse I download Netflix again? It's the only game we've ever had a problem with. Granted we don't have a ton of games but still, it should just recognize what we actually have and I don't know why it's not. :(

MichelleRC
01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
We got Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics about a year ago and my boys really like it. THey got Kirby's Epic Yarn for the holidays this year and it was a huge hit!
Have you tried Wii Resort Sports or Wii Party? Those get alot of play here.

sidmand
01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
We got Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics about a year ago and my boys really like it. THey got Kirby's Epic Yarn for the holidays this year and it was a huge hit!
Have you tried Wii Resort Sports or Wii Party? Those get alot of play here.

I don't think we have either of those. We have Wii Sports but I think the Resort Sports is different, right? I know DH mentioned the Resort Sports one and I was looking at the Wii Party one. I will definitely check those out too, thanks!

sail731
01-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Winter Olympics is a huge hit in our house. Got it last year and it is still a favorite!

Twoboos
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
We all really like Resort Sports here. Still a fav. I think we have the Mario/Sonic Winter games but haven't played much... hmmm, I should look for that!

We got Wii Party and the girls were frustrated with the learning curve on some things, and the fact that your game is seemingly "interrupted" to play another game. But turns out it's the Mini-Games to earn more points or whatever.

Once we figured all that out, it's pretty fun. I like Resort Sports is better though.

kdeunc
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Winter Olympics is a huge hit in our house. Got it last year and it is still a favorite!

:yeahthat: My boys love this one.

August Mom
01-06-2011, 12:06 AM
We have both the winter and summer versions. DS and I both enjoy them. From my perspective, I enjoy playing Mario Kart the best, followed by the Olympic games. Some events are more difficult to master than others but I think a 5-year-old would have fun playing. One thing I like better about the summer version than the winter is that you can set up circuits where you select 4 events to play and compete against one another. A winner is determined based on the composite score. For some reason, in the winter version you can't select your events like this. In the summer version events include: high jump, pole vault, long jump, triple jump, archery, skeet, hammer throw, javelin, swimming, trampoline (pretty difficult), fencing and various track events. Winter events include: ski jumping, half pipe, ski cross, snowboard cross, figure skating (probably one of the easier events), downhill, moguls, bobsled and skeleton. I highly recommend them both. They are fun for the whole family and can be played in short periods of time.

bubbaray
01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
We just got the Winter Olympics tonight. VERY cool! I didn't know that it was from the Vancouver Olympics (where we live!). The sites are actually named for the real event locations, which is pretty cool for my girls.

My nearly 4yo is starting to get the hang of it. My 6.5 yo caught on quickly and is having fun with it.

Its a fun game. I'll be looking for the summer version!

sidmand
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Just found out that we're idiots (okay, that's not a surprise, but in this case!). We had the Outdoor Resort mat plugged into the area for the Gamecube controller. We've seriously had it plugged in there so long that I thought it was the power cord and didn't even realize what it was. Today we played Outdoor Resort for the first time in a year and I suddenly realized when I went to put it away that THAT was plugged in to the Gamecube controller slot and that's why the game thought we were playing with it. I was almost positive that if I just removed it (like I should have!) it would be A-OK...and it was! So now I have a working Sonic Colors. But everyone seemed to love Sonic and Mario so much that I may have to buy that one too. :)