PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a firesafe?

niccig
01-02-2011, 03:21 AM
I've been meaning to get one for ages. But not sure about size - I want to keep in there documents like birth certificates, passports etc. I know it should be bolted to the floor, but I can't see DH doing that..might have to wait for my Dad to visit - but even unbolted, it would be better than current storage which has no fire protection/lock.

Thanks.

AnnieW625
01-02-2011, 03:33 AM
We are looking at getting one too, and DH has pretty much said anything made by Cannon, and American Security is good. FIL has a Liberty safe. All of the ones that DH has looked at will also store fire arms but he believes that all of those companies also make ones for home office use. Costco also usually has some sort of special on safes too.

chiisai
01-02-2011, 09:53 AM
We have one. It is not bolted down, though. It's very heavy and pretty big compared to the relatively small space to store papers/items. We keep key documents in there, plus DS' baby book and some loose photos of my mom.

I was in a house fire about a decade ago. Eventually i will open a safe deposit box, until then the firesafe will do, though we may need to get a larger one.

7pages
01-02-2011, 03:25 PM
We have one that is bolted the floor. It is big enough for papers and a few odds and ends. We got tired of renting the safe deposit box at the bank. I am happy we did it because it is very convenient having everything at home.

Our safe is fire safe. My only regret is not getting one that is also water safe. If there is a fire and it gets water sprayed on it, guess what, everything has water damage! DUH! Also, my documents get mildew on them, which is gross. I called the company and they said I need to air it out every few weeks or so. Add that to my list of things to do!

But is a great idea and gives me good peace of mind! Good luck with your purchase!

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Mine isn't attached to anything so I could grab it and go for some emergencies. I totally recommend a combination lock vs a key though. I lost the darned key to mine! I had to have a locksmith crack it open (and ruin the lock) so I could access our passports for a trip. Just a thought.

Beth

indigo99
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Also, my documents get mildew on them, which is gross. I called the company and they said I need to air it out every few weeks or so. Add that to my list of things to do!
!

Ours is built inside a wall and hidden behind a heating return vent. Good idea, right? Wrong! It's basically outside of the conditioned space so it gets cold and damp in there - not ideal for storing important things. I recently discovered that all of my silver jewelry is very tarnished now.

smiles33
01-02-2011, 06:27 PM
We have one and I put in some of those desiccant packets that come with certain products to keep it dry. I usually toss them but realized kit could help keep the safe dry.

AshleyAnn
01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
We do. My brother's girlfriend had a house fire last year and lost everything she owned. They found her camera in the ruins and while the lens side looks fine the otherside was so chared you couldn't recognize it as a camera. She came to live with my parents for a time and it sat on her bedside table. It had such a powerful effect on me that she lost all her memories in that fire so I backed up every photo I've taken since 2003 on a digital harddrive and put it in a box. No documents are actually in that box since nothing else matters to me like those photos - I consider all our documents easily replaceable - but that box lets me sleep at night. I also have my most important photos backed up on DVDs stored at MIL's just in case the box fails me.

niccig
01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Beth, Ashleigh,
Do you have a fire box and not a safe? That might be an option. The safes I've seen are really big and the ones that seem to be good, are expensive. I haven't read any good reviews about the ones I see at Staples etc.

I've also read about the issue with dampness - no air circulation I guess. Using the desiccant pouches sounds like a good idea.

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Yes, sorry, I have a fire box, I guess. This is what I have:
http://www.target.com/Sentry-Safe-Fire-Resistant-Chest/dp/B0045F8PS0/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&id=Sentry%20Safe%20Fire%20Resistant%20Chest&node=1038576|1287991011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&keywords=safe&searchPage=3&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&sr=1-55&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=price&frombrowse=0&qid=1294013611

Pinky
01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Good point about the water proof feature... never even thought of that.