PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Support thread?

fivi2
01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Anyone up for one? I have gained a ton (that I couldn't afford) with this new job. The plan is to start getting up at 5:00 am to work out (starting tomorrow). Also changing eating habits - no more forgetting lunch and grabbing from the cafeteria!

So I definitely need some accountability! Not really sure how the support threads work, but I feel like I may actually get up if I am supposed to report it to someone - lol!

Anyone in for the New Year?

Twoboos
01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Let's do it!! I have to start getting back to the gym. Starting tomorrow.

And someone get all these sweets/treats/cookies/etc. out of my house, please!!! (NO, not by eating them, self!!)

elizabethkott
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm in!
I started by making a chicken salad for the week, pre-portioned into containers already, pre-portioning out my stringbeans, carrots and dip, and setting aside my avacados as well. Now there's no excuse to buy crappy lunch from the cafeteria!
I also started doing the 10 pound slim-down circut on exercisetv. Little baby steps...

happymom
01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm in too! I was off from work last week, and managed to eat well and exercise. Tomorrow I'm back to work and that's when it gets challenging! I teach preschool, and we feed the kids school hot lunch every day....which means if I don't have time to pack lunch, I end up eating mac n cheese or fish sticks...not good!

On that note, I need some ideas of good lunches to pack for work. I would like to avoid sandwiches, and can't really heat anything up. Any ideas besides salads?

happy2bamom
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I'll play. I'm planning to join WW on Tuesday. The kids go back to school on Tuesday too, so I'm hoping that getting into a healthy routine will be easier at that point. Once I weigh in at WW, I'll let you know how much I need to lose. If i had to guess (we don't own a working scale) I'd say a good 20 - 25 pounds.

fivi2
01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Yea!

I don't own a scale either, I plan to measure based on pants size...

My goal is to wake up early and do a dvd at home before work. I bought lots of veggies and stuff for healthy lunches. I don't really plan to make drastic changes to my diet, that always backfires, just trying to keep the bad stuff to a minimum! Which also means lowering my beer intake :bag

I like the chicken salad idea - sounds convenient.

I think WW would be great, I just can't find the time... (bad excuse, I know!)

eta: ideas for lunch... I don't have great ideas. I bought low carb tortillas to do wraps because I really can't do salads every day. I also bought some low fat spreadable cheese, so I can do a wrap with that with turkey and spinach and tomatoes. Or I can do one with salsa and veggies and chicken, or one with hummus and cucumber and lettuce and tomato and feta... I also plan to have leftover soup one day (from dinner) on that day I will take veggies and hummus. If I have leftover chicken I will do a salad... I need protein or I get hungry and over eat!

Good luck to everyone!

fivi2
01-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Well, I managed to get up at 5:00 and do a dvd. I am tired and not happy about waking up at 5, but I did it :)

MoJo
01-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Good job, fivi2!

I exercised Dec 30 & 31. But 2011, not yet. Count me in!

Twoboos
01-03-2011, 11:04 AM
OK, I didn't make it to the gym (got too freaked out about really wanting to put away Christmas and how much time the gym would take up).

BUT I did do two Jillian Michaels workouts from OnDemand. OUCH, that kettleball one is a killer.

LarsMal
01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm in, but will have to start tomorrow (see my BP). I know I could just go workout on my own, but I hate it. I need an instructor leading the way!

brgnmom
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone up for one? I have gained a ton (that I couldn't afford) with this new job. The plan is to start getting up at 5:00 am to work out (starting tomorrow). Also changing eating habits - no more forgetting lunch and grabbing from the cafeteria!

So I definitely need some accountability! Not really sure how the support threads work, but I feel like I may actually get up if I am supposed to report it to someone - lol!

Anyone in for the New Year?

Yes, I'm new to this group/sub-forum, :waving4: but I need all the help I can get. I'm about 7 weeks postpartum & 20+ pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight.

My DH got me a pair of nice workout clothes for Christmas... and also dark chocolate almonds - which didn't exactly help me out any! ;) I did get the opportunity to work out on both NYE and new year's day though, while my DH took care of the kids.

Twoboos
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Did a spin class today, which my hamstrings were NOT happy about considering the suffering they were in after endless squats from Jillian Michaels. Yow.

What about you all?

fivi2
01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Great job on the spin class!

I didn't manage to wake up early :bag, but then I did take a brisk 30 minute walk at lunch, so maybe I get partial credit :) My eating has been okay - no eating out yet (it's only Tuesday), but more pasta than I should probably eat. Oh well, it's something...

LarsMal
01-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Did a spin class today, which my hamstrings were NOT happy about considering the suffering they were in after endless squats from Jillian Michaels. Yow.

What about you all?

I made it to spin class tonight- hills, with Crazy Instructor. It was a heck of a welcome back after a 2 week break! I could barely walk down the stairs after class. I wore my new HR monitor/calorie counter watch to class. It said I burned 1200+ calories in 67 minutes, which can't be right...but I'll pretend it is until I figure out how to work the thing!

Twoboos
01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I made it to spin class tonight- hills, with Crazy Instructor. It was a heck of a welcome back after a 2 week break! I could barely walk down the stairs after class. I wore my new HR monitor/calorie counter watch to class. It said I burned 1200+ calories in 67 minutes, which can't be right...but I'll pretend it is until I figure out how to work the thing!

Um, from your description of your Crazy Instructor, 1200 calories sounds about right, LOL!!! :bowdown:

My hams are killing me. I can barely walk. I need to do a nice yoga video OnDemand today.

AnnieW625
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I am in too.

I am going to the gym at lunch today, and will track my WW points. I also have to go out and eat lunch today so I am going to be sensible about what I get. No fast food:).

fivi2
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, I got up early enough to do a 20 minute upper body dvd... Not what I had hoped for, but it is something. And I took another 20 minute walk today at lunch.

I guess it's better than nothing! At least I wasn't just sitting all day.

infomama
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Insanity (p90) is in the house! DH and I are doing the fitness evaluation tomorrow...I'm sure it will kick my ass.
Yoga scheduled for three days this week....ahhhhhh.

brgnmom
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I was able to work out for about twenty minutes on the eliptical last night - that was just my third time since NYE & new year's day though. My initial goal is putting some effort at least a couple of times per week, while my DH is able to look after the kids when they are asleep in the evening... the gym is down the hall from where I live, so I have no excuses :wink2:

Twoboos
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Did 30 min on the treadmill today. Combo running/walking. Not my greatest day, but better than nothing!!!

fivi2
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Failed again at waking up early, but I did walk at lunch again. And when we got home, the girls wanted to "jog" so I ran around with them for a while...

I am not doing so well at this, but I guess it is better than nothing!

infomama
01-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Failed again at waking up early, but I did walk at lunch again. And when we got home, the girls wanted to "jog" so I ran around with them for a while...

I am not doing so well at this, but I guess it is better than nothing!
If it makes you feel better I didn't do the fit eval for Insanity. I'm blaming it on wicked cramps tho.

fivi2
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
If it makes you feel better I didn't do the fit eval for Insanity. I'm blaming it on wicked cramps tho.

Yeah, I am blaming cramps too (even though they just started today :) )

Today I again went for a walk at lunch and chased the girls on bikes after school. But no waking up early... I'm not even going to pretend that I will get up early to work out over the weekend, so I will report back Monday :)

Even though I only got up early 1.5 days, I felt guilty enough to get out and walk at lunch every day which I hadn't been motivated enough to do before. So at least I got out of my chair.

Congrats to you guys on a good first week!

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Checking in here. I have been taking a bunch of different classes the past 2 weeks. The other day I was sore from a class 2 days prior so I debated cutting my workout short and calling it a day (I ran 3 miles). But, an abs' class was just about to start so I did that. I even went to the gym on Saturday to try a class. I am not a weekend gym goer. I've been trying to take classes that have scared me in the past- ones I look in the windows of and think "no way". But, they have all been things I could do! Yay!

Beth

LarsMal
01-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I've been trying to take classes that have scared me in the past- ones I look in the windows of and think "no way". But, they have all been things I could do! Yay!

Beth

Yay! I did the same thing this week and went to a power yoga class. I was convinced I'd make a fool of myself and almost ran the other way when I walked in and there was only one open spot left. I made it through the whole class and did several poses better than I thought I could.

Besides that I'm pretty much back on track. I have a few things keeping me from going to my regular classes this week/weekend, but I'll make up for it next week!